Who is the best uncapped US player?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by aarond23, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    This is my impression when I've seen Peterlin at the college level. A good player, and certainly would have been drafted by MLS, but I didn't think he was that special. Everton signed him to a 1-year deal to play in their reserves.

If he was going to be on our 2007 U20 team (He would have been 20, but I don't know if he was eligible or not), here are the midfielders we brought to that squad. All professionals except for Sal Zizzo, who was shortly thereafter signed by Hannover in the Bundesliga.

Bryan Arguez
    Michael Bradley
    Danny Szetela
    Robbie Rogers
    Dax McCarty
    Freddy Adu
    Sal Zizzo

Who do you leave off of that squad to include an unknown from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo?
    None of them. We're getting to the point that we're going to have a pool of professionals at the U20 level, and college players will simply be left out. Think about what's about to happen to our U17 national team. According to my sources, at least 8 of those kids are going to sign with big foreign clubs after the U17WC.........and not spend one second in college.

There are guys who are just late bloomers, that really take off in college..........and make that next step. As far as I know, Maurice Edu never appeared for US youth teams until the Olympics.

2. TrepX

TrepX New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Redwood City
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wut ever happened to Orozco?

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's been capped.

I think his chances to go to this world cup aren't that good (especially with Marshall playing so well in this Gold Cup), but he'll certainly be looked at in the next cycle.

4. soccerstar99

soccerstar99 New Member

Aug 20, 2007
    usa
    vincenzo bernardo?

5. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    in the next hours or days Jones will officially become american and this conversation/thread will be over.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Complete unknown to most of us. He's at Napoli and not even playing in the primavera team. Certainly a kid to keep an eye on, but he's not the best uncapped US player. On most projections of the U20 WC team this summer.......he doesn't make it.

I haven't seen enough of Diskerud to know if he's the answer.........but I saw Brek Shea last night............and he's not far from a callup to the full national team. Don't be surprised when he's called into camp cupcake in January.

The other guy on FCD I've been very impressed with recently has been Dax McCarty. His size is obviously his weakness, but he's a warrior in there. I think he's better than a lot of people realize who don't watch FCD on a weekly basis. He happens to play a position that's the deepest on the USMNT..........but he could easily be a camp cupcake guy also.

You know what's disappointing regarding Dax McCarty? He played for Ajax Orlando in the PDL. That team trained both Dax McCarty and Nathan Sturgis. It's too bad Ajax decided to close shop, because they were doing something right.

7. Napoleon_BA

Napoleon_BA Member

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    CA Lanús
    I watched the 2nd half of that "close" game last night online.

1) Brek Shea:

I think he's going to be a player. He's got speed. He had tons of time, but that looping cross to an on-rushing Cunningham last night was a thing of beauty. Perfectly placed over the defender's head from ~60 yards away.

2) Dax McCarty:

He's fun to pull for. I'm sure the opposition hates him. Even the Dallas front office didn't like him too much before the start of the season and were looking to unload him, but he seems to be playing well.

Last night KC looked like shite, but Dallas was doing things right. I'd like Shea to have a nice U-20 WC. If he does, he might be gone before he gets going.

It would be nice to see top U-20 players in the MLS going over to Europe for a couple of months on loan for January & February to learn what it takes to make it over in Europe. I would think that could only help increase the leave of play Stateside.

8. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shea should be one of the breakout players of the U-20 World Cup along with Diskerud and Opara.

Cooper is now gone and that gives Shea ample opportunity to prove himself in Dallas this year. Best uncapped player? Doubt it. Arguably the best uncapped prospect for 2014? Sure. (yes I know Pontius and others are arguably that as well)

9. scmcbride21

scmcbride21 New Member

May 9, 2006
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geoff Cameron

10. Poet

Poet Member+

Mar 13, 2001
    Toledo, Ohio
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody here fancy Shea Salinas? He seems to be developing nicely.

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have put Jay Heaps on the list somewhere around No. 47 or 48 but Bradley saw fit to cap him already

12. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    Jemal Johnson.

The guy just took over the last game for MK Dons. A Hat-trick with 3 20+ yard rockets with both feet.

Why he choose to stay with MK Dons?.. my guess is Pual Ince coming back, the manager who got JJ going again.

13. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    I am foreign born myself but I also love,eat and sweat USA soccer and the main reason why I support USA is because here in USA we have the biggest herd of SOCCER HATERS and I love to tell them that SOCCER is entrench in USA so deep that we are producing top level players even export them ...jejeje:D

14. whip

whip Member

Aug 5, 2000
    HOUSTON TEXAS
    I bet you those European that talk crap like that are still DRUNK RECOVERING FROM THE AZZWHOOP WE PUT INTO THEIR EUROCHAMPIONS...:D

God Bless Preparation H...;)

By the way Jones this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkxqy16nOnk"]YouTube - USA VS SPAIN 2-0 Confederation Cup 2009[/ame]

15. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While that is heavily debatable, he'll never be capped as long as he is in League One. Whitbread played better for more games last season and still didn't get called up.

Johnson was on the radar, even Ives commented about him a lot. But staying in League One will continuously be a knock against him.

16. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The thing about jones is that his workrate is unbelieveable, and besides Howard, he is the only american to have proved himself as a regular for a team in a top 4 league.

Jones can cover a lot of ground quickly, and plays with the "this is my midfield" mentality.

17. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jack "McEnemey" McInerney! ;) heh maybe next cycle. But this kid has potential to be a true #11.

I think Geoff Cameron is very good and would have probably been called up for the B/C squad, except for the fact Houston was already depleted.

But it's great we have so many great up and comers like Mix, Lichaj, Guzan. At this rate, we'll have a very strong team come the time we hold the World Cup in '18 or '22.

18. chimac4u

chimac4u Red Card

Aug 9, 2006
    I like Cameron, but what is his best position?

19. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watch the U-17 Quals, I'm almost convinced that he is our best youth prospect. Granted, the competition wasn't top-notch, but he looks like a stud in the making.

20. Wessoman

Wessoman Member+

Sep 26, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has anybody else here been noticing Eric Lichaj is now starting at Aston Villa?

If Lichaj continues and earns a start during the actual season, now we have a serious dilmemna--But a good one. It would mean Cherundolo and Lichaj on the right, Spector and Bocanegra on the left.

21. bradley31

bradley31 New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    Bradley???

22. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Then, he'll be capped. And, it will be on again! :)

23. mcnaulty21

mcnaulty21 Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically, Jones has already been capped :p

24. wcssstar33

wcssstar33 Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bradley has to play another full season to be considered a real regular for the squad. Sure, one season is good, but can he do it again?

and besides, Schalke > BMG

25. tottenham1115

tottenham1115 New Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dutch League and a terrible German team don't count.