Who is the best Left-back in the World?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by CIA, Sep 16, 2008.

1. ChelseaForTheCup(s)

ChelseaForTheCup(s) New Member

May 27, 2008
    Lehmann was decisive in his actions, Lahm was not.

Oh, care to address the specific point I made about Torres being through one on one either way?

2. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Lehmann might have thought he was being decisive but his actions were not. I see no need to address your point because what Lehmann did (or did not) directly influenced Lahm's actions. Therefore Torres would not have been through 'either way'.

3. ChelseaForTheCup(s)

May 27, 2008
    Then that's Lahm's fault. He let Lehmann take action, even though he was in a better position to deal with things.

Lehmann came in because Lahm was slowing down and attempting to "shield" Torres.

4. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    You have it in reverse.

5. ChelseaForTheCup(s)

May 27, 2008
    So you're implying Lehmann let Lahm tack action......? :confused:

6. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    No that Lehmann rushing out led to Lahm trying to shield the ball and not putting a tackle in.

7. ChelseaForTheCup(s)

May 27, 2008
    My stance is still Lahm should've done something about it either way. Ball should've been cleared immediately.

8. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    It may be your view but its the keeper's responsibility to communicate with his defenders at all times. He can see the whole field and if Lehmann was coming out to collect the ball, then he shouldve firstly, gone 100% and secondly made sure Lahm knew that it was the keeper's and no one else's. Whenever a keeper thinks twice, this is what happens...Lehmann should either have stayed on his line or got the ball with full conviction.

9. akindele12

akindele12 Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Defensive what defensive football did Arsenal play, just because they kept clean sheets don't mean they played defensive, every tie in that CL run was open, and Arsenal could've easily lost every single one of them.

Also when it comes to the counter attack issue, I know Arsenal of the past 3 seasons have not been a counter attacking team, but to say Liverpool and Chelsea advanced farther because they counter attack is just plain wrong, Chelsea post Duff and Robben have not been anywhere near a counter attacking team, and neither has Liverpool. Man U are the only team of the top 4 who are capable of playing counter attacking football.

10. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Wow. Just absolutely wow. I mean its absolutely remarkably useless. "Arsenal could've easily lost every single one of them". Really? REALLY? You mean they had a chance to lose each game they played? My God, I think you're on to something. Hey, guys, did you know that a team can lose each and every game? No, its true! Whoa. You have shocked me sir. Truly.
    And Arsenal didn't "keep clean sheets" - during Arsenal's run to the CL final (some of which I saw in person), they used very negative tactics and hoped for a goal from an isolated Henry. The notion that Arsenal's tie against Real was "open" is remarkably laughable.

And I like saltwater taffy. That's just as relevant.

11. akindele12

akindele12 Member

Jun 16, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Please just stop.

Arsenal v Real Madrid Aggregate Score 1-0

Arsenal v Juventus Aggregate Score 2-0

Arsenal v Villarreal Aggreate Score 1-0

And please go watch the Real Madrid tie again(cause i'm sure you never actually watched it the first time) and tell me what negative football was played in the tie.:rolleyes:

12. schafer

schafer Member+

Mar 12, 2004
    So you're trying to prove the games were 'open' by showing that there were, in fact, 4 goals scored over 6 games?

13. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It doesn't necessarily mean anything. The Madrid - Arsenal match at Highbury was the best 0-0 I have ever seen. It could have been 4-3 if not for hero performances from Lehman and Iker. A truly great game.

14. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I voted for Lahm (and I'm waiting Clichy getting 2 or 3 years older). Evra in NT just achieved to make Abidal look better than him.

15. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Except it does because Arsenal clearly played a defensive game to progress during the tournament after previous failings at their normal attacking game. Marooning Henry as a lone striker in a 4-5-1 is testament to that. As is the performances it forced their defense to make. Trying to deny it is idiotic.

16. footypredictor

footypredictor New Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Liverpool
    Excellent debate this guys - is there a time limit on this poll?

17. CIA

CIA Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    Hijos de Acosvinchos
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Nah

18. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Wait, you're trying to prove you played open football by showing 4 goals aggregate in 6 games???
    I remember watching the Real tie quite well, thanks, just like I remember rooting for you to beat Barca. But the truth is that you played dour defensive football. Now, is there anything wrong with that? No. But there is something wrong with being up your own arse plastic for trying to deny it and claim that Arsenal never play anything but beautiful football. (Like the FA Cup final that you won on penalties against Utd.)

What really gets me about plastic Arsenal fans is that they're so inordinately proud of how their club plays because they just care about the style of play, not the club. When I lived in London, I used to go Arsenal matches a decent amount and saw probably 6 or 7 matches one year in one set of seats (behind one of the goals at Ashburton Grove). These were "supporters club" seats, so fairly often quite a few were empty. Which is fine - same thing happens at most clubs. Until the last game of the season - the Chelsea game. On this day, several fans I had never seen before showed up with ********ing whistles. Half of what they said was "what beautiful ********ing football we play", in a game where the only Arsenal goal was scored after that awful rugby tackle on Bouhlarouz via penalty. In fact, despite being down a man, Chelsea almost took the lead (Cole's goal was correctly ruled off for offside) and Chelsea played Arsenal even the entire match. So what do these whistling clowns keep shouting? "What beautiful ********ing football we play" every time Arsenal manages to complete a simple pass. And ********ing using their whistles. Finally, one of the women sitting right below snatched their whistles away and refused to give them back. Those are the ********ing plastic Arsenal fans I hate, the ones who go on about beautiful football and the ones who keep claiming that any time an Arsenal side walks onto the pitch its like the reincarnation of Cruyff's Total Football. It ain't always how it works. Really. So the idea that you played beautiful football while isolating Henry up front is pathetic. Its OK to admit you don't always play pretty football. Just shows you're a plastic if you don't.

EDIT: Oh dear God, perhaps you're not even smart enough to understand that since I referred to clean sheets in brackets I didn't mean that literally? If you are not.......well, lets just say it wouldn't be the smartest conclusion to draw.

19. krassi007

krassi007 New Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    zambrotta was my pick, hes playing great with MILAN

20. RickChelsea

RickChelsea Member

Sep 28, 2008
    sidknee
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mozambique
    Ashley Cole was absolutely shite last year, but hes found some serious form and to me looks the best.

21. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i always have had this doubt?? zambrotta is a left back or a right back??

22. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    He is equally adept at both.

23. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC