Who is leaving early? (2013-14 version)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    #126 Sandon Mibut, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    Updated list. You could have the core of a pretty good MLS team.

Jordan Allen, Fr. F/M, Virginia - Homegrown (Salt Lake)
    Andre Blake, Jr. GK, Connecticut (via Jamaica) - Generation Adidas
    A.J. Cochran, Jr. D, Wisconsin - Generation Adidas
    Christian Dean, Jr. D, California - Generation Adidas
    Christiano Francois, R-Fr., Maryland (via Haiti) - signed with MLS.
    Bryan Gallego, Jr. D, Akron - Homegrown (Portland)
    Giuseppe Gentile, Jr. F, Charlotte - signed with MLS
    Marlon Hairston, So. M, Louisville - Generation Adidas
    Aaron Kovar, So. M, Stanford - Homegrown (Seattle)
    Damion Lowe, Jr. D, Hartford (via Jamaica) - Generation Adidas
    Dylan Mares, R-Jr. F/M, Indiana - signed with an agent
    Eric Miller, Jr. D, Creighton - Generation Adidas
    Sean Okoli, Jr. F, Wake Forest - Homegrown (Seattle)
    Jalen Robinson, So. D, Wake Forest - Homegrown (D.C.)
    Tommy Thompson, Fr. F, Indiana - Homegrown (San Jose)
    Schillo Tshuma, So. F/M, Maryland (via Zimbabwe) - Generation Adidas

2. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. This speaks to my point elsewhere about the overall talent in D1 NCAA. Individual player quality is definitely trending upward. I would take this MLS roster. No problem.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yeah, you'd need to fill some holes and you'd probably take it on the chin the first hear or so, but once they get some experience this will be a pretty good group of pros who collectively would make a good team.

4. fknbuflobo

fknbuflobo Member+

Arsenal FC
    United States
    Nov 16, 2011
    Akron, Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bring It!

***************Gentile******************

*Thompson******************Tshuma*
    *************Allen*****************

******Koval******** Gallego *********

Miller ********************* Hairston
    ********Dean*****Lowe************

**************Blake******************

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Hearing that two of the teams in Canuckistan are interested in Gentile and both might try and move up tomorrow to get him.

6. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    so what are the options for a kid like dylan mares at this point? is he even able to work with mls teams for a trial? it doesn't seem like mls would allow a kid to leave early and skip the draft and go straight to a club that he wants and who wants him. i haven't heard any news at all on his situation. i find it weird for a kid to give up his final year of college soccer if he doesn't have a sure thing lined up.

7. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wasn't someone saying something about him going to Indy 11

8. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    i said that might make sense, but i was just speculating. indy 11 are making another player announcement at some point today though. my biggest question is whether he would even be eligible to play in mls if a team wanted him. if not, what the hell was he thinking?

9. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indy Eleven signed a Honduran, played last two seasons with San Antonio.

10. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009

mares is on trial with RSL.

SJTillIDie repped this.
  11. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Sandon Mibut and soccersubjectively repped this.
  12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  13. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    3 g, 2 a as a freshman at Akron
    4 g, 0 a as a sophomore at SMU

How on earth is this guy latching on at a big club like Fluminense?

Sandon Mibut and fknbuflobo repped this.
  14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    There's been no formal announcement but it appears Alejandro Covarrubias, a midfielder from D-II Cal State Dominguez Hills, has signed with LA Galaxy II.

I hadn't heard of Covarrubias till I saw his name pop up in the first couple of box scores for Los Dos, as some are whimsically calling them, so I googled him and it turns out Covarrubias was a D-II third-team All America last fall as a junior and prior to that was a JuCo All American at (Ronald) Cerritos College.

It will be interesting to see if Covarrubias ever matriculates to the Galaxy senior team (El Uno?). I have no idea if he's considered an MLS prospect though D-II players with less on their resume have been drafted, but if the Gals are able to use their USL side to sign college underclassmen and then bring them up to their senior team, it will become an issue MLS has to address.

Here's his college bio.
    http://www.gotoros.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2030

And here's a link to the USL's website that has him listed on Galaxy II's roster.
    http://uslpro.uslsoccer.com/teams/2014/66919078.html#ROSTER

15. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Valasquez were draft out of JC. If that is the case it seems the Galaxy should be able to sign one of their former Academy kids out of a JC as well. Having their facilities on the campus of a State School would be a nice alternative for kids that want to continue to go to school yet start on the professional track.

16. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    There's no rule about drafting or signing JuCo kids. The point I was raising was about signing an underclassmen who had bypassed the draft.

I didn't realize Covarrubias was a former Galaxy academy player, which changes the metric of my point. Clearly I should have googled him and the academy as is homegrown-eligible.
    http://ussda.demosphere.com/teams/17276140/17297557-17276234/TEAM.html

Absolutely. It's one of the reasons I was surprised that Gyassi Zardes stuck around Bakersfield for an extra season. He could have signed in 2012, gotten that extra year of experience, extra year of salary, been a free agent one year earlier AND taken classes at a Cal State school.

Between the USL team and being in a campus, the Galaxy can now offer college-age players games and a campus environment, basically everything but the dorms. Hell, they could probably offer that if the kids wanted it and negotiated for it.

17. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    this was my question about dylan mares' status earlier this spring. he had a trial with RSL, but he was cut.

18. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    My point is that Covarrubias previously attended Cerritos which is not a four year school so after he left he was no different than Valasquez.

You and me both. I though it was unlikely he was going to sit on the bench and rot like a lot of young players. But then again, looking at the limited minutes rookies have been getting, maybe that would be the case.

19. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    the curious case of dylan mares continues. he had a 30+ yard shot go off the crossbar last friday for indy11 v. iu, but that was the only impact he had. yesterday indy announced 2 signings, aj corrado and a kid named frias from chivas. opening day is saturday so i doubt mares gets a contract at this point. he only played about 30 minutes total in the final two warm up matches for indy.

i wonder who told him to skip his final year at iu and go pro. or whose advice did he ignore when they told him to stay in school?

SJTillIDie and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  20. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Nothing wrong with trying something and then moving on with life. He'd already been in college for three and a half years, so he knew what college soccer had on offer, and if he isn't close to finishing a degree, he probably wouldn't have finished in any case.

21. No shinguards

No shinguards Member

Mar 21, 2008
    The Moon
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer is an option... coupled with academics... I don't know this case in specific.. but.. the "option" to stay in school..may come with the consequence of "ineligible"... hence, the choice to go pro...

It's a scenario to often real...,. and more often... overlooked...

24Seven repped this.
  22. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    good points. i'd been under the impression that he had finished his degree, but maybe that's wrong. i don't know how many credits iu would allow from a school like louisville.

if going back for a fourth season was an option, i'd think he was foolish to give that up. he had a crappy season with iu, and his stock was probably at an all time low. another year playing for the hoosiers - and being one of the go to guys - could have helped him improve his chances of landing a pro deal.

what does a guy who washed out of an mls trial and washed out of an nasl trial do next?

SJTillIDie repped this.
  23. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005

Not saying this is true, but wonder how much he put into his academic year at IU and maybe that had something to do with his decision. Probably figured he would come to IU, tear it up, go Generation Adidas so why put too much into class - again no idea of the validity of this statement. Probably best bet would be to go back to Louisville, pick up with the River City PDL and see if he can finish his degree in Louisville.

24. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    So this one is a little different.

Matthew Dunn, a former starter for the US YNT in the U17 World Cup and then had an unsuccessful stint with some European teams, played last fall for Maine-Fort Kent, a non-NCAA program. Presumably the eligibility standards were looser outside the NCAA so he was able to play for MFK despite having briefly been a pro.

Anyway, it appears that after one season toiling on the Maine-New Burnswick border (seriously, Fort Kent is about as North as you can get in the continental US) Dunn is leaving for the bright lights of Los Angeles as he has reportedly signed with CSKA Chivas, where he'll be reunited with Wilmer Cabrera, his coach with U17 NT.

http://www.thegoatparade.com/2014/4...ns-chivas-usa-wilmer-cabrera-koln-ofk-beograd

How was an underclassmen who is a former US YNT player able to bypass the SuperDraft and sign with the league? Good question. It's MLS; they just continue to make this shit up as they go along.

ENB Sports, No shinguards and Hararea repped this.
  25. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Guaranteed salaries are out. Nobody getting Gyasi money, but Thompson and Allen probably came out better than if they'd jumped at homegrown status before college. (Palmer-Brown may be valued at $1M, but he makes only $49K.)

$161K Christian Dean, Jr. D, California - Generation Adidas
    $145K Tommy Thompson, Fr. F, Indiana - Homegrown (San Jose)
    $113K Schillo Tshuma, So. F/M, Maryland (via Zimbabwe) - Generation Adidas[/quote]
    $113K Andre Blake, Jr. GK, Connecticut (via Jamaica) - Generation Adidas
    $94K Marlon Hairston, So. M, Louisville - Generation Adidas
    $90K Jordan Allen, Fr. F/M, Virginia - Homegrown (Salt Lake)
    $73K A.J. Cochran, Jr. D, Wisconsin - Generation Adidas
    $68K Damion Lowe, Jr. D, Hartford (via Jamaica) - Generation Adidas
    $68K Eric Miller, Jr. D, Creighton - Generation Adidas
    $67K Jalen Robinson, So. D, Wake Forest - Homegrown (D.C.)
    $48.5K Sean Okoli, Jr. F, Wake Forest - Homegrown (Seattle)
    $48.5K Giuseppe Gentile, Jr. F, Charlotte - signed with MLS
    $48.5K Aaron Kovar, So. M, Stanford - Homegrown (Seattle)
    $36.5K Bryan Gallego, Jr. D, Akron - Homegrown (Portland)
    $36.5K Christiano Francois, R-Fr., Maryland (via Haiti) - signed with MLS.

ENB Sports and Sandon Mibut repped this.