Who is leaving early? (2013-14 version)

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Sandon Mibut, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I don't think we know for sure.

2. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hararea and Sandon Mibut repped this.
  3. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Athletic guys who can play center back have the best value because of longevity and a likelihood to succeed for an american (Omar Gonzalez, Matt Besler). Kind of like drafting an offensive lineman in the NFL - they can play until their 34-35.

4. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but I think Miller is a RB not a CB.

and I'm not sure I buy the whole athleticism thing for CB's. Yes, it's generally easier for CB's to transition to MLS than other positions. But being an athletic freak doesn't mean much as MLS keeps improving every year... the Quakes drafted one of the most athletic CB's to come through the college ranks in years in ike opara and he hasn't made it b/c his skills and soccer brain are terrible. same thing with andrew jean-baptiste.

5. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    of course we don't know 100% for sure about any of these guys. but there is a decent amount of info out there. 3 goals and 1 assist this season for a RB doesn't scream MLS to me. tyler polak and hunter jumper were more highly touted than miller and they've done f--- all in mls so far. I keep seeing mock drafts list the quakes as taking this kid b/c we aren't re-signing beitashour but if he is gonna have a shot at playing rb for the SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES he needs to know how to overlap down the wing and put in accurate crosses like Steven Beitashour and Chris Leitch before him and wade barrett before him.

6. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Miller is projected as a RB in MLS but he played mostly CB at Creighton this year.

I saw him play in person early in the season when the Jays played at Georgetown and he was very solid at CB banging with the Hoyas Brandon Allen. Not outstanding but you could see MLS potential there. That said, you could also make a case for him being a 'tweener.

People who know more about evaluating talent then I do like him. Of course, those same people have also made their share of blunders.

7. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Roldan is a talented young player, but at this stage in his development, I fear that he could be one of those guys who get stuck at the lower end of an MLS roster and rot. I feel like he'd be much better served developing at Washington, that is, assuming that they try to control the ball more this year (I think they will).

And while I'm critiquing MLS's decisions, I don't have an opinion about whether it's a good idea to pay Eric Miller and AJ Cochran to come out one year early, but what I don't get is the failure to sign Cyle Larin. For my money, he's the big ticket item in this year's draft, a potentially dominant forward who could energize Canadian fans and/or attract a multi-million dollar transfer fee. He's worth shelling out for.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  8. collegesoccer

collegesoccer Member+

Apr 11, 2005
    Don't think he is a freak athlete, but good enough athlete with good instincts who can play RB or CB. Could see him starting at RB and eventually becoming a CB.

9. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    I was bored and wandered onto a Seattle Sounders sight which claimed that the Sounders had made offers to Wake Forrest's Sean Okoli who is supposedly very close to signing with someone, though not necessarily Seattle. In addition they supposedly made offers to Washington's Darwin Jones and Stanford's Aaron Kovar. Perhaps the ACC types know more about this.

I've been somewhat skeptical that MLS would be able to make an offer good enough to pry someone away from a top academic school like Stanford, but since they just mentioned Kovar getting an offer and not Jordan Morris, they might have a chance. From my recollection in one TDS article, Kovar was picked as the player most likely to become a professional. However, this year he didn't make first or second team honors for the Pac-12. He's a pretty talented player and his attacking ability certainly wasn't showcased with Stanford's kick and chase style of play. On the other hand I'm sure his ability to defend improved quite a bit.

Jones is a great athlete. Very quick and powerful with a good shot. He certainly has the physical tools to hold his own. The problem for me is that he doesn't seem to know how to combine with anyone and seemed like a one man counter attack. Maybe Clark will move to a less crude style of play next year now that Harris has graduated, but it was certainly not conducive for developing the skills that Jones needs to learn. Given that Jones was a JC transfer, it would seem to be an ideal time to make a move, especially if the Sounders can find him a place where he can get plenty of game time.

10. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Interestingly enough, I had heard during the season that Stolz really wan't that interested in soccer. I certainly would believe he wasn't that interested in defending, but given the time commitment required to play at a D1 program I was a skeptical about the lack of interest in soccer. But given the fact that he seems to have turned down a GA and there are no mentions of him trialing overseas, perhaps he's one of those kids is really much more focused on school.

11. stopper4

stopper4 Member

Jan 24, 2000
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem might not be on the MLS side. Historically, they haven't had much success convincing UCONN guys to leave school early...even when they probably should (O'Brien White?)

12. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Remember that Roldan is in the very unique position of having a pre-existing relationship with a shoe company and that said shoe company just so happens to be the sponsor of the program for the underclassmen leaving early.

It's not hard to imagine Adidas seeing some nice marketing potential with Roldan, playing off the commercial he made as a kid and then now he's a pro - impossible really IS nothing! - and as such making sure he is offered enough of a contract to get him to turn pro.

Just a thought.

Pl@ymaker, unnamedsource and Zman Gunner repped this.
  13. Well Duh

Well Duh Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Keep in mind there are HG contracts (limited in # /team) that include academic funding elements so MLS is not exactly prying players away from schools they are simply putting players in the workplace AND presenting the means to complete ones education, acquiring that degree on an alternative schedule.

Many D1 soccer players are already on alternative academic schedules, many designed for players to graduate following the fall senior season via some time in summer school (which allows for on site training) so a further tweak to the academic progress with a HG signing is not a totally foreign concept.

I will give you the fact that those leaving after 1-2 years of classes face a considerably higher challenge in finishing their undergraduate degrees.

14. dolphinscoach

dolphinscoach Member

Apr 17, 2002
    Bellevue, NE
    I've seen Miller all three years for Creighton, and at multiple positions (RB, CB, RM and CM). He played mostly (only?) RB his freshman year. Tyler Polak (LB as sophomore that year) was flashier, and took more risks - Polak's recovery speed along with cover from surrounding cast allowed for that style of play - but I rated Miller higher of the two. Given how strong the DM-back line-GK unit was that year - only allowed 5 goals for the season and playoffs - it is hard to tell how good/poor an individual player was, but Miller certainly fit in well. His D was solid (good positioning, comfortable 1 v. 1), his passing out of the back was good, and his attacking runs/crosses usually were effective. His combination of skill, size, speed and smarts made him a handful for other players 1 v. 1 defensively and esp. offensively.

His last two years, he was Creighton's best option at a number of positions, so he moved around - often CB or CM - based on what was needed at the time (e.g., as CM, sometimes he was DM, sometimes B2B, sometimes more in the attack). He did well in the center, but my impression is that RB is where he excels most.

Another way to look at it: He is likely the best RB I've seen play for Creighton since I moved to Omaha in 1995, but not in my top 3-5 for CB, CM or RM - and he hasn't lost any of the traits that made him so good as a freshman.

Don't know how he will be at the next level, but I would rate his likelihood of success higher than Polak or Greg Jordan (both on that 2011 team, both drafted and recently cut by MLS teams - and I am a fan of both).

15. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  16. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Interesting, of the 3 I would have rated Kovar the least likely - if for no other reason than it would be a lot easier for Jones and Roldan to continue taking courses. If true, I wonder how much the results of last season had to do with it. Washington had a great year and won their league while Stanford really struggled in the Pac-12.

17. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Seems like the writer Liviu Bird has been building a really good reputation for himself.

18. scoachd1

scoachd1 Member+

Jun 2, 2004
    Southern California
    Agreed - UCLA players signing with Galaxy, Cal, Santa Clara, Stanford players signing with Earthquakes, Washington players signing with Seattle makes it pretty easy to finish your degree. On the other hand Wenger flying back and forth from Duke to Montreal probably was a heck of a lot more difficult. Also some schools are a lot more lenient with outside credits than others. I really don't understand why Zardes spent another year at Bakersfield. Seems to me he could have walked to class from practice and got those credits transferred. Nice thing about college is that it gives kids some productive to place to spend time while they figure out exactly what they want to do.

19. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    It wouldn't surprise me if Kovar's academic path was part of the reason why he's leaving now. His bio says that he's interested in medicine, and it doesn't really make sense to get serious about preparing for med school until after he's ready to give up on soccer.

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Especially Jones, who would be able to play in the same city he's going to school in.

21. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Yes, it's really..... taking flight.

[​IMG]

stphnsn repped this.
  22. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
  23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Updated list (assuming the Kovar story is legit)...

Jordan Allen, Fr. F/M, Virginia - Homegrown (Salt Lake)
    Andre Blake, Jr. GK, Connecticut (via Jamaica) - Generation Adidas
    A.J. Cochran, Jr. D, Wisconsin - Generation Adidas
    Christian Dean, Jr. D, California - Generation Adidas
    Marlon Hairston, So. M, Louisville - Generation Adidas
    Aaron Kovar, So. M, Stanford - Homegrown (Seattle)
    Damion Lowe, Jr. D, Hartford (via Jamaica) - Generation Adidas
    Eric Miller, Jr. D, Creighton - Generation Adidas
    Jalen Robinson, So. D, Wake Forest - Homegrown (D.C.)
    Schillo Tshuma, So. F/M, Maryland (via Zimbabwe) - Generation Adidas

24. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sandon Mibut repped this.
  25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Related to former MLSer and Jamaican national teamer Onandi Lowe?