Who is going to help US in invading Iraq?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Turkoglu, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Turkoglu

Turkoglu Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Istanbul
    US can do it alone of course but where are you going to launch your troops from? You can't use 200,000 paratroopers right?

LONDON (Reuters) - The United States has promised Kurds in northern Iraq that Turkey will not take part in any U.S. attack to remove President Saddam Hussein ( news - web sites), an Iraqi Kurdish leader said Wednesday.

It looks like my country is out hehe.

2. LatinPartisan

LatinPartisan New Member

Jul 7, 2002
    New York City
    the UK more likely, they have been the most trusted US ally in any military stand off.

3. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How nice for Turkey.

Now they can just go back to torturing and killing Kurds in private.

4. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yep, it looks like our idiot government will follow the US in whatever they do, even if it does fly in the face of public opinion.

5. Cruickinator

Cruickinator New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    Why do I get the feeling that people who are against this war a a bunch of wishful thinking pacifists .

6. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The world power that is Kuwait, I think.

7. FulhamRev

FulhamRev Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God's going to help us in invading Iraq...we're on a "crusade" to fight terrorism, goddammit!

8. Actilius

Actilius New Member

Oct 15, 1999
    No One..........If Usa'll attack Iraq U'll be alone. Sometime the war is not the right solution for all the problem....

9. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and sometimes it is. Nobody wants young kids mailed home in bags, not American kids, not British kids, not even Iraqi kids.

Everybody stood up and cheered last Fall when we declared war on terrorism. Well, this is a war, and woebetide those who began it if they were not in deadly earnest.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gee, that's a pretty slick move there, sport.

Is there any evidence that Iraq had anything to do with Sept. 11? Or is our war against terrorism just a front for a war against Arabs?

Help me out here, Bill, I'm missing something.

11. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No, I think you'll find that Tony checked, and we're all well up for it. He just hasn't told us yet ...

12. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    actually love. he was talking about iraq's general support on terrorism. i.e offering 25,000 dollars to the families of suicide bombers...and their lovely past history of supporting anti-american acts monitarily and by aloowing the use of weapons and most likely information.

feel free to be left wing again. and be overly liberal. i'm down with that.

the bad news is. we don't have "the allah" so i think we're SOL.

13. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    I've been waiting for Bush to call open season against monetary backers ever since he started airing those "if you buy drugs you're supporting terrorism" commercials. The question is, after toppling Saddam is he going to go straight after Colombia or is he going to arrest our nation's college students and his niece for treason? I don't see how we can win a war against terrorism with a nation full of subversives.

14. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is the justification, then isn't Iraq like 4th on the list? Shouldn't we take out Saudi Arabia, the PLA, and Iran first?

You can't give reason X for going to war and expect people to swallow it, when reason X is more applicable to several other nations.

All I'm asking for is a rational casus belli. Something that doesn't look like a weak justification for Klingon diplomacy.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two thoughts.

1. Even if I knew where to find this, I don't think I would admit it.
    2. Someone else called this Klingon diplomacy (you have dishonored my father, so I must get revenge) and I kept using it because I thought it was funny but also lent some insight.

I was offbase to do so. Hey Mike, what about Romulan diplomacy? Would that work better?

Who were those greedy guys whose heads looked like butts? They had the crazy loooking teeth. Does it fit them?

16. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    I don't want Dave to wait forever for someone to answer his question/take his bait.

The Next Generations to which he refers are the Ferengi.

Which happens to be the Arab word for Europeans - it literally means "Frank" or "crusader."

17. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think they'll help us fight Iraq?

18. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Only if there's profits to be made, i.e. Oil

19. Turkoglu

Turkoglu Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Istanbul
    Dont make comments from your ass please if you know nothing about the Kurdish situation.

20. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that another International Tribunal, issueing a report about three weeks ago, roundly condemned Turkeys' treatment of Kurds living in Turkey, citing "torture", "murder" "disappearances" and "destruction of property" as among the ills the Kurds are suffering at the hands of Turkish security forces.

As for speaking "out my ass", generally I reserve that sort of comment for people wholive in glass houses, Kimosabe.

superdave:

IMO Iraq is a legitimate target, and no one, not even the world's most partisan human being, Tom Daschle, disagrees with this assessment.

And frankly, I don't feel qualified to "rank" the various governments that support terrorism like some weekly AP Coaches Poll: "Well, after the big terror bombing in Tel Aviv on Tuesday by Syrin sponsored Hamas factions, they took a big leap all the way to number three"

Maybe YOU feel qualified. If so, go for it.

All I know for a fact is that Saddam Hussein is the biggest threat to peace and stability in the region, perhaps in the World, and is now supposedly harboring a bunch, maybe a majority, of the really nasty Al Queda types who want you and me and even Segroves, to die a horrible, flaming death.

It's an ugly world out there, dave; Liberals have always had a hard time with that fact. And if we sit around and do nothing until Saddam manages to sneak some serious shit into our drinking water and thousands or maybe tens of thousands, die as a result, you'll be the first one complaining about how the CIA the DIA or (more likely) some Republican, should have done SOMETHING to stop it from happening.

Well it may turn out that it takes some ugly stuff raining down on a bunch of people who don't really deserve it to "do something" effective about it. If you don't have the bottle, fair enough, I understand.

But ISTM that to you, and a lot of your political brethren, the biggest problem is not WHAT they're talking about doing, but rather WHO is talking aboout doing it.

You guys have one hell of a nerve gnashing your teeth and wanking on about "Clinton haters". Your biases are so up front they can't even be debated.

(And be sure to include some totally off-topic remark about the Supreme Court in your answer. ALways makes you guys feel superior. And Moral SUperiority is what being a Liberal is all about, right?)

21. Turkoglu

Turkoglu Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Istanbul
    Maybe you should also look at the reports of the Turks that were killed and tortured too by the Kurdish terrorists. But NO. Why would you look at that? I am just going to look for the pic of a year old baby with a bullet on his chest who was killed by the Kurds. Then you tell me the human rights and all that other ************.

22. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    i am no liberal but the way i look at things;

if there is not another country in the world that feels the evidence against iraq is not enough to to declare war on them...

then please, feel free to explain what they are all missing and G.W. and dick are seeing.

23. LongJohn

LongJohn New Member

Nov 23, 2001
    nicey
    Yeah that's only suicide bombers against Israel.

Let the Israelis take care of their own war. We shouldn't be fighting it for them. It's sickening how a little country the size of New jersey can goad us like that.

Iraq can't hurt us at all. Saddam is just a selfish dictator but hardly a man out to conquer the world. But it doesn't matter. THE MONKEY WILL GET HIS BANANA. When W lurches forward with his war plans, we will have to pay for it out of our own tax dollars and also we'll have pointless blood on our hands.

HAIL TO THE CHIMP.

24. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's very difficult to over come inertia, particularly if the resultant will change the balance of power. Most of these countries are looking at it strictly from a profit motive, the issue that what we are doing is moral is probably laughed by most given the hypocrocy that motivated our previous incursion into the middle east. The we are here to liberate the free trade of oil, I meant to say free Kuwait from tyranny.

25. Alan S

Alan S Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know, they haven't found the group responsible for the Anthrax attacks yet. The question people should be asking, is IF Iraq completed a WMD project would they give the nuclear/chemical/biological agent to some terrorist organization? If a group like Al Quada got such a weapon no one should doubt they would use it.

John Pike tries to keep tabs on the capabilities of militaries using the IKOS satellite images which are avialable to the public.

Below is what he believes to be a chemical weapon site.
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/iraq/fallujah.htm

http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/iraq/fallujah_2.htm

John Pike's info on Iraq's nuclear weapons program
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/iraq/nuke-program.htm

Pike's info on biological weapon's program
    http://www.globalsecurity.org/wmd/world/iraq/bw-unscom.htm

Other sources believe that Iraq is trying to weaponize Anthrax, and Smallpox in addition to it's nuclear weapons program.

On Iraq's nuclear weapons front, it is believed that they have made very good progress on the design. (i.e. The triggering device, and hydrodynamics calculations to reach critical mass) The one thing they are missing is high-grade Uranium to make it. Not to worry though, they have Uranium deposits in Iraq and are mining them. In addition attempts to smuggle weapon's grade material have been made to get material from the old USSR supply.

So, for Iraq it is really just a matter of time before they have a bomb. Some estimate 2006, sooner if they can smuggle Uranium out of some country.

This is really bin-Laden propaganda. We have many Muslim mosques, and schools in this country and people are free to worship as they please.

Try to go to Saudi Arabia some time and find a Christian Church to worship in. I'm sure they tore those all down a long time ago. Christian populations are all under siege in Muslim majority countries.