Who is going to be the big Surprise in SouthAfrica 2010!!

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: General' started by Paco Rodríguez, Nov 2, 2009.

1. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany had many good attacks and many good chances, too. Without this stupid first goal by CI, I am pretty sure they would have won the game.
    I think this draw is fair, but it is only a friendly so I don't draw conclusions.

2. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Well... the first German goal was also stupid. Although not as hilarious :)

I agree a draw is fair, but I'm just saying tha IC really threw the game away and should have won once they were 2:1 up in the 85 minute.

3. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And I think Neuer kicked it away. ;)
    Both defense lines were rather bad, but I hope for more attacking football like this during the World Cup.

Again I don't draw much conclusions from friendlies but I think CI could do well in SA.

4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Pienaar is a decent Premiership player, he's maybe the 4th best midfielder at Everton. Hamsik is far, far better. He already has 7 goals in Serie A this season. There is a reason why all Europe's top teams want to sign him.

Mokoena? He's at best an average player for Portsmouth, probably the worst team in the Premiership.

5. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Is that why Pienaar is routinely voted the best midfielder at Everton by fans and is that why Phil Neville deems him to be the best player at Everton by miles? He may not score goals, but that isn't his job.

Hamsik is a future talent, but Pienaar is at least as good if not better. He has been tracked down by Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United and Milan. And if Pienaar is no4 then why is he not for sale at any price??? You really don't have any idea what you are talking about.

http://sportales.com/soccer/the-best-three-left-midfielders-of-the-2008-09-premier-league-season/

6. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No, you do not know what are you talking about, as any Everton fan will tell you.

Pienaar is a good player but he is not on the same level as Arteta. Phil Neville said he was their best player for the month of May 2009, not their constant best player. Also that quote was more to inspire Pienaar to do more for the team. http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/engla...neville-steve-pienaar-is-evertons-best-player

Pienaar is not being tracked by ManYoo, Chelsea or Arsenal, as he would not start for any of them.

7. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    And Henry did not touch the ball with his hand tonight...

Look it up... Pienaar was sought after by Arsenal, Valencia, Manchester City, Manchester United, Fiorentina, Athletico Madrid,

Those are facts!!!

Another fact: Pienaar is a key player in Everton and is 'not for sale'. Your previous comments obviously show you have no idea. His price tag is 10 million pounds, while Hamsik's tag is 9 million.

Arteta is held just as highly as Pienaar and Everton relies on them both. Pienaar is to the left what Arteta is to the right. With both injured Everton has really struggled.

I know this may not mean much but opinions:
    http://www.greatestevertonplayer.com/top_players.php
    http://blog.sport.co.uk/Football/436/Top_Ten_Underrated_Premier_League_Midfielders.aspx

8. OrlandoEngelaar

Jul 19, 2008
    CA
    This world cup has 2002 Korea/Japan written all over it, but it doesn't matter who surprises what in the WC. It will still be Brazil vs. European Team at the end, with the Brazilians taking the trophy home and if you want it back youll have to take it from them at the Maracana in 2014. :D

9. zasal911

zasal911 Member

Sep 1, 2000
    Chile's B squad, with some C players, took care of Slovakia rather handedly. not impressed at all.

10. epsilonway-redded

Nov 18, 2009
    Serbia will a big surprise in South Africa.
    I don't think Greece will surprise us.

Brazil and England will do fine.
    Italy will flop.
    France will flop.

South Korea will do fine.
    Australia and Japan will flop.

South Africa will do alright.
    Nigeria will do fine.
    Ghana will do fine.

New Zealand will be destroyed so badly.

That's my prediction.

11. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Define 'fine' and 'flop'.

I doubt anyone is expecting Australia to do too much. They will either scrape second in their group, or be knocked out with a competitive third. I don't think either of those results will be a 'surprise' to anyone who knows the team.

12. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    Yes, it's a fact. However, South Korea also drew 1-1 against France in that same WC and barely missed out on advancing to the last 16 on goal difference.

Since you brought up the past WC history as a relative tool to determine their 2010 WC performance, let's have a look at the other AFC sides just for fun, ;)

1. Japan - They still haven't recorded a win in their WC history outside of Korea/Japan 2002 WC.

2. DPR Korea - 1 win against Italy at 1966 WC, which was their only WC appearance to this date.

3. Iran - 1 win in their entire WC history. A 2-1 win against USA at 1998 WC.

4. Saudi Arabia - 2 wins in their entire WC history. Both of them came from their amazing run at the 1994 WC where they made it to the last 16.

5. Australia - 1 win in their entire WC history. A 3-1 victory against Japan at 2006 WC.

6. Iraq/Kuwait/UAE/China - 0 win.

------------------

As you can see, yes I fully acknowledge that AFC sides have had terrible records at the World Cups. But, if you look it more closely. Most of the wins obtained from the AFC sides are mostly concentrated in the recent World Cups. This explains that the AFC sides are relatively new footballing nations compared to the traditional powerhouses in UEFA/CONMEBOL and it also tells that their level is improving in a consistent manner.

So, your approach of determining a team's performance based on their past WC has no bearing at all, especially when you're talking about an AFC side.

13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    You appear to be backing up your claims with references to blogs?

Also you are using paper talk to speculate on values. How about this then from the Telegraph?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...Napoli-deny-Marek-Hamsik-move-to-Chelsea.html

Or Pienaar is not for sale at any price? Well according to Napoli's president Juventus would have to offer their entire squad to afford Hamsik.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...Napoli-deny-Marek-Hamsik-move-to-Chelsea.html

All paper talk obviously, but Hamsik really is a different class for Napoli.

I mean £10m for a midfielder in the Premiership is nothing. They paid more than that for Fellaini, and he came from Belgium! They want £20m reportedly for Rodwell!

14. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Well they are certainly getting more places. But the actual quality is not really rising.

In 1994 Asia only got 2 spots out of 24 at the World Cup. Now they have 4 spots out of 32. That is basically all off the back of their hosting in 2002.

I mean genuinely, this isn't the thread for it, but the number of spaces that Asia get is farcical.

Out of 5 teams in the last World Cup (counting Austrialia as Asian as well) they managed two wins. One of those was against another Asian team, and the other was against Togo who lost every game!

Outside of Asia they have only recorded two wins in their history against European teams. One was the game against Italy in 1966, and the other was Saudi Arabia against Belgium. Both were creditable results, and Asia have had a number of draws, but that is an absolutely terrible record. They have one win against decent opposition in the last 40 years!

They get the same number of spots as South America!

So let's just say that I am sceptical as to the improvement that Asian nations have made.

15. Maruti

Maruti New Member

May 14, 2006
    Pienaar is among the top 10 midfielders in Britain and among the top 3 left midfielders. And I fail to understand how Hamsik's 9 million tag is in anyway different than Pienaar's 10 million.... both are not for sale. Pienaar has such a low price tag, cuz that's what's in his contract.

Pienaar is a whole class better than Hamsik in every department. Hamsik may get there, but he has nowhere near the technique.

This discussion is becoming ridiculous... anyone that states that Pienaar is a reserve Everton player, was not sought out by i.e. Arsenal (google it) and isn't a top class midfielder is obviously delusional. Hamsik is good, but not that good. And Pienaar is one of the best put there and at the moment South Africa's sole world class player. Hamsik still has a bit to go before he is world class.

16. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Top 10 midfielders in Britain? Are you on drugs or something?

I mean are you joking? Tell me the midfielders you think are better than him.

Have you ever spoken to a poster called Vancity Eagle by any chance?

It appears you share a similar view of the quality of African footballers.

17. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Been watching soccer for years....I was always defending Pienaar even before he went to Everton...trying to express what a class player he is....

Pienaar is a very balanced player...He is very committed and very fit. He can defend and track back in midfield like Essien would...he can attack wings like Rooney would when he is on the wing....He can create intricate one two passes like Fabregas...

He is a very influencial well balanced player with a unique style....He is only getting better and better....He reminds me a bit of Ashavin at times also...

I don't know Hamsik so i wouldn't compare them...

Edit: i wouldn't say he is the only SA world class player...McCarthy is also world class....just a bit unfit....
    (Personally i feel someone like Surprise Moriri should have been world class if you see at what he can do at times) Players like Tsepo Masilela has the ability to become world class...he played well in confed....

18. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Really I think we are devaluing the word World Class here. It seems to mean an average Premiership player by some of the names being bandied around.

By these criteria Jason Roberts is a World Class striker.

19. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Define world class....

When does a player lose their world class status? When Henry plays badly, is he not a world class player anymore? Or what about Ronaldinho?

You seem to have forgotten that McCarthy was the best striker for Porto when they won the champions league and one of the top scorers in the premiership soon after above some big world class names...

20. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    World Class for me would be one of the best 3-5 players in your position in the world. McCarthy has never been at that level IMO. Neither has Pienaar.

Ronaldinho has been badly out of form for 3 years. He is no longer world class. Henry has been out of form for about 6 months. He would be questionable ATM.

21. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    by your defition, it is understandable....

to me world class means on the same standard as the top players...not necc the best or even top 3. There are many players on that level....Would Rooney make your list of world class strikers when there are players like Drogba, Ibrahimovich and Van Persie to name just a few? And yet, to me all of the above is world class....

I wonder what the real definition of a world class player is.....worth a thread on its own....

22. Pyros

Pyros Member

Sep 6, 2009
    La Coruña
    Club:
    Valencia CF
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain

Lol, WTF? So he can defend like Essien, pass like Fabregas and penetrate defences like Rooney now? That must be why so many top teams are dreaming about signing him :rolleyes:

Pienaar is a decent-good player, nothing more.

23. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--

Sigh....be a bit more imaginative please....of course he doesn't do all of those things at the same level as all of those players...

Im merely trying to discribe him as a player.... :eek: Anyone should have known that.....

24. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Well I'd say Rooney is a world class forward, but only just. There are a couple of threads in the BG forum about the definition of World Class if you do a search.

25. emmex

emmex New Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    I asked a friend who doesn't care less about soccer(non biased), when a player is labelled "world class" in the game of Rugby.....

He said that there isn't a real definition per say, but that they should have the ability to compete well at both club level, as well as internationally

I agree with his opinion and that is more as to how i understood world class players...