Who is going to be our attacking midfielder?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by ktorp18, Nov 16, 2012.

1. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Bob's Twin- 6 1/2 took a "division of labor" put of focus. This scheme - France used it for the Euros and Russia is currently using it - have a more-or-less "stay-home" holding midfielder. Capello has Denisov, Klinsmann Williams. There may be difference in quality there but the same general description.

There are, of course, other formations.

I think JK was entirely too optimistic about the US players abilities but the reality calmed him down since then.

Donovan can if he wants to but he can't shy away from the ball and that's something he tended to do in the past.

What he is capable under the current regime is almost a mystery since he has missed so any caps over the last year.

2. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I feel like Juergen is pretty much dead set on Jermaine Jones playing as his third/advanced central midfielder. I was pretty disappointed that neither Sacha Kljestan or Mikkel Diskerud got their chance in that role.

It's exactly like I said, Juergen doesn't call players up to see what they're all about and what they can contribute. He seems to think he already 100% knows what they contribute. We thought he knew a lot about this player pool. I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

So for now, Juergen seems to view Diskerud as a future player for the U.S. worth meager sub minutes, Sacha Kljestan as a useful substitite for the Hex, and Jermaine Jones as his starter.

Marko72 repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Don't be unfair. JK made mistakes at first that he's not making any more. Like playing Torres wide, or Williams. Also, I agree with keeping Jones or a similar guy as linking mid. If you give Bradley the responsibility to distribute and play with 3 wingers/forwards, you need one.

He's not a bad coach. He's even with Bob, IMO. Unlikely to get the same level of success with the USMNT, but that's because of the "own country" effect.

4. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    To be fair, I think this statement is true in the past tense. It's taken a while, but it seems that Klinsi has gotten over his obsession with Torres as a wide player or any kind of attacker, hence he hasn't been with the team since the Azteca game.

5. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was in the Jamaica camp post Azteca. Torres played very effectively as an AML in the 9-11 match v Jamaica, after going as an unused sub in their 9-8 match.

JK has for the moment moved on but has also said Torres would get other chances, likely in 2013 with the expanded roster.

6. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    Ah yes, you're right. I do remember, minus the "very effectively" bit.

bmo180 repped this.
  7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen enough of him shooting from distance to say either way but his ball skills and view of the field should help him succeed as an AM.

8. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that bit is always going to be highly subjective, even the media "experts" did not agree. As for objective, well...;)

9. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's CL matches will be a good chance for folks to see Jones and Kljestans as box-to-box #8s for club. Schalke and Anderlecht play identical 4-2-3-1 formations and both JJ and Sacha play identical #8s in the -2- line.

Today 2:45 ET. Schalke v Olympiakos and Adnrelecht v AC Milan!

10. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Didn't realize Torres had been omitted from the last group of WCQers. Thought he was injured, but checked the club schedule and he was playing. He was excellent in the Jamaica qualifier playing in that tight triangle of midfield and showing a motor and pace I didn't know he had. Too bad if he's on the outs as he had the best possession technique of any player in the pool. Could have used a player like that in the Russia game.

I wonder if this signals JK is going with 433 and 4231. Torres looked best in 442 from the Jamaica match.

Jones with another assist.

11. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Too much projection.

12. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    The team looked most comfortable in 4231 with Dempsey playing in the hole. No 10 really. If the MLS guys aren't ready to start in the February matches, a front three of FJohnson, Dempsey, and Altidore should suffice.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    That was a point of contention back then. Klinsi said JFT was injured ... but he was in a Pachuca lineup right around that date.

PS. Pachuca did fire Hugo Sanchez after the season, so who knows who else is on deck there.

14. TheHoustonHoyaFan

Oct 14, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sacha got rated 6.4, tied with 2 others for high in a 1-3 loss v Milan.
    http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/667791/Live

Jones got a 8.2 slightly behind the 8.3 of the goal scorer in a 1-0 win v Olympiakos
    http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/667794/Live

15. Pandy Flapjack

Pandy Flapjack The Pompitous of Love

Aug 30, 2003
    Van by the River
    After watching both Jones and Sacha today with their clubs today I am convinced that the best US midfield is a center midfield of Sacha, Bradley and Jones in a 4-2-3-1

16. Clenbuterol

Clenbuterol Red Card

Aug 25, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Sacha looked pretty good out there but I still think he is no more than a bench player for the National team.

17. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My thoughts exactly.

18. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I would agree that Sacha probably won't be more than a bench player, at least for now. I still would have liked to see him given the chance against Russia, because we already know what Jones can do. Diskerud as well I would like to see given at least 45 minutes in that role.

19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he did ok, nothing spectacular to mandate additional playing time.

20. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ben lederman in 2022.