Who is going to be our attacking midfielder?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by ktorp18, Nov 16, 2012.

1. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    okay i was bored so i did a little research: the assists totals may be wrong (why doesn't Wikipedia record assists?)

-Jose Torres 20 caps 0 goals 0 assists age 25
    -Freddy Adu 18 caps 2 goals 3 assists age 23(?)
    -Benny Feilhaber 39 caps 2 goals 1 assist age 27
    -Graham Zusi 6 caps 1 goal 1 assist age 26
    -Mixx Diskerud 3 caps 1 goal 1 assist age 22
    -Stuart Holden 17 caps 2 goals 4 assists age 27
    -Joe Corona 3 caps 0 goals 0 assists age 22
    -Sacha Kljestan 38 caps 4 goals 3 assists age 27
    -Michael Bradley 72 caps 11 goals 5 assists age 25
    -Jermaine Jones 26 caps 2 goals 3 assists age 31

i know stats are only part of the equation, but based on this i say Mixx is looking good, Adu deserves another shot, and Torres should never be called again. i still hope Stu can come back. Jermaine Jones is a lot better than many fans give him credit for but he's not an attacking midfielder. Bradley is a lock. i'd go for a 3-man midfield of Mixx, Bradley and Jones, with Adu and Zusi as attacking subs and Williams and Edu as defensive subs. Kljestan has been looking better lately too.

Clint Dempsey is playing more like a forward these days.

Landon Donovan, Alejandro Bedoya, Josh Gatt, Brek Shea, Joe Gyau are wingers, different discusson. is Zusi a winger or a central player? idk...

2. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Luis Gil or Sebastian Lletget if they pan out

3. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    something like this

--------------------Altidore------------------
    ---Dempsey--------------------Donovan---
    ----------------DISKERUD-----------------
    -------------------Bradley-------------------
    -Johnson--------Jones----------Chandler--
    -----------Cameron--Gonzalez-------------
    -----------------Howard---------------------

4. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Over 24 hours and this thread didn't spin out of control in the way many of us would have expected?

Is BS maturing, burned out or are most folks already in holiday mode traveling.

Only time will tell.

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    One of the more popular pre-Euro'12 formations was a 4-3-3/4-5-1 hybrid with Twin-8's.

------------------CF--------------------

LW----------------------------------RW

----------LCM----------RCM----------

------------------DM--------------------

I think the US has ability to do this - CF (Altidore, Gomez, Dempsey), LW (Dempsey, Jones, Donovan, Shea), RW (Donovan, Gomez, Gatt, Pontius), LCM/RCM (Jones, Bradley, Kljestan, Holden, Pontius, Zusi), DM (Williams, Edu, Jones).

USAMEX10 repped this.
  6. TheNearPost

TheNearPost Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Like I said in in the thread I posted earlier, the issue doesn't really seem to be the most advanced central midfielder, typically Jones. The problem is what's going on higher up, most of the time. Against Russia, we needed somebody between our attackers and midfielders who could really link play, hold the ball to allow our midfielders forward, and give us somebody for the rest of the team to move off of in the final third. Generally we have one of Dempsey or Donovan taking charge of this role, and neither was available on the day.

I think the proper way to go would be this:

[​IMG]

The who we use probably depends on who we play. If we're facing a more dominant opponent like Russia, I would probably use the Jones-Edu-Bradley trio with Donovan and Dempsey higher up the pitch ready to prompt the counter and create havoc. If we're up against a team that gives us more of the ball and will ask less of our midfield defensively, I think we should actually use Donovan as the most advanced central midfield and play Gomez in his place in the front three. Mikkel Diskerud probably deserves a legitimate chance in the central midfield in that role though, as does Sacha Kljestan ( although he's a little more of a known commodity after such a long time).

I think we're actually looking fairly good for the Hex. Juergen might surprise a few people.

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    this is prolly the line-up that gets the most talent on the field. Whether it's the most effective use is another question. If JJ would/could be trusted to play the DM you could get even a bit more attacking flair in the LCM role - (Mix, Sacha) or even bring Demps in, depending on conpetition and play a true winger at RW. But I don't think JJ is going to play that slot. so JJ/MB makes sense with Williams or Edu behind them. Demps/LD, Jozy or Herc.

8. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    I say we copy the style of the Galaxy. We have the players for the 4-4-1-1.

-----------------Altidore--------------------
    --------------------Donovan----------------
    -Dempsey--Bradley--Williams--Chandler-
    --Johnson--Cameron--Gonzalez---Dolo--
    -------------------Guzan--------------------

Subs: Gomez, Boyd, Diskerud, Kljestan, Jones, Bocanegra, Howard

bmo180 repped this.
  9. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm..some good points have been brought up in this thread. The guy we have that is the closes to a 10 besides Adu is Mix...and really I think he has the range to be a offensively minded 8 easily. So, we'll use dual 8's. Which we have been doing. For now Dempsey and Donovan will be on the wings(or at least listed there) I assume . FJ and TC, and Dolo will have to provide the width primarily while our youthful wingers are hopefully groomed.

The dual 8's are key. The ones I rate are JJ, MB, Torres, and Mix. Mix is a more aggressive passer and more clever in his movement when attacking then the others(just based on U23 matches and watching his club games). Torres is a deep lying playmaker type who likes to keep possession. JJ, and MB are pretty similar box to box chargers and they play at the highest levels so one of these other guys will have to take that spot from them because Klinsi will keep starting them otherwise. IMO the JJ and BB midfield gives you a lot drive to the box but is hectic in possession. But they are experienced and play at the highest levels so Klinsi starts them. Mix needs to go to a better league and Torres needs to regain his from and be given a chance at his proper position.

10. Fernandont Scorres

Jun 26, 2011
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If a 4-3-3 is being used this is my preferred shape for this team.

[​IMG]

As far as the AM mid goes, Bradley could play there with Jones and Williams behind if Klinsmann wants to keep on that route.

I've been sold on Diskurud for awhile and he could play there with Bradley and Jones/Williams behind. I have just really liked what I've seen from him and he seems like one of those players who's able to make those around him better.

Landon Donovan could even be put there with Bradley and Jones/Williams behind. That would open up the right wing for a more traditional winger heading forward. He is still raw and needs time to get used to the international game, but I'd liked the flashes I saw from Gatt out on the right. He gets back and defends too.

If Jones put more emphasis on defense I think him and Bradley could really be successful controlling the area behind an AM both offensively and defensively. I think he's a very good player if he sticks to his strengths. If he continues to roam around like he's been doing I'd be more comfortable leaving Williams with the anchoring responsibilities.

11. ChrisSSBB

ChrisSSBB Member+

Jun 22, 2005
    DE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just give him the keys and he'll be fine.

[​IMG]

12. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most promising thing that came out of this thread was mixx.​

all the others should never ever be in a CAM position.​

ever. ​

13. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Interesting that Klinsmann has tried at various times Torres, Jones, Dempsey, and Donovan in the role.

14. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    None of these guys are number 10's though. They are more wing forwards, underneath forwards or box to box players. We should just stick with dual 8's at this point (and when Freddy finally crosses all his T's for Klinsi, keep him on the bench).

sacpasse87 repped this.
  15. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed. we dont have one and we wont have one. unless mixx somehow moves on from rosenbourg and shows his quality in a top 4 league.

16. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    No one. We're almost certainly worse by deploying one in most cases, except as a mid-game switch.

ImaPuppy repped this.
  17. bmo180

bmo180 Member+

Jan 25, 2012
    Luis Silva maybe

18. blackstar22

blackstar22 Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What about converting Juan Agudelo into a attacking Midfielder. I think he has the creativity and skill set for it

LouisZ repped this.
  19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    I wouldn't mind seeing Bradley give it a go perhaps being backed by Jones and Torres.

vaquero28 repped this.
  20. Adiaga Two

Adiaga Two Member+

Oct 4, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty much the Bradley pulley system with a 6 instead of two strikers. It isolates Jozy more, but allows Bradley and Jones/Kljestan/Diskerud/maybe Holden to get forward with more freedom and compensate for that.

This is a solid formational adjustment for the USMNT to turn to over the last year. It just needs the correct kinds of players in the proper positions, which JK hasn't seem to know enough about the player pool to get right.

As Marko just stated, there's no point in insisting on using a free central playmaker when there isn't a decent one in the pool. Only player I can see having a chance for this team in that role is Landon, who is also basically our only top-level wide playmaker as well.

21. PANDEMONEUM

PANDEMONEUM Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Club:
    Asteras Tripolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have to agree with most, we dont have an AM
    (i wish we did)
    but, our change to this formation
    ------------------CF--------------------
    LW----------------------------------RW

----------LCM----------RCM----------

------------------DM--------------------

is Perfect, for the players we have available
    i think we are NOT a good goal scoring team
    our Possession has improved
    our Midfield is our Strength, and this formation fits
    and at least, our D is not booting the ball up Every time

i dont think we have a set starting 11 either
    i think wer set for 7 spots, with 3 spots open, depending on the opponent and situation

i DO like our player pool, and think we have some good depth (except for CB, atm)
    F. Gomez, Altidore, Boyd, Aguedelo, Eddie
    W. Dempsey, Donovan, Zusi, Shea, Gatt
    CM. Bradley, Jones, Kljestan, Mixx
    DM. Williams, Edu
    FB. Fabian, Cherundolo, Chandler, Lichaj, Parkhurst
    CB. Cameron, Bocanegra, Besler, Omar

22. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    I would agree IF Bradley and Jones can work together. (It would certainly get our best players on the pitch at the same time, particularly if the the LW, CF, and RW are Dempsey, Jozy, and Donovan.) The one time they were really effective paired like that was vs Scotland. In the 2nd half I thought they both played well against Russia, but that was largely after Jones was moved into a wide left role, getting the two of them out of each others' way a bit.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    What kind of CAM you want?

A Classical #10, who does little in defense and is mainly a master-passer? Those are rarely used these days. The only one in the US pool is Adu, and perhaps Donovan, but the latter would tend to run back to help defend, it's in his genes.

A "circulator" type player, enganche behind three up front? Bradley. That's the name. Mix or Zusi may be it, but lag behind Mike.

A cutter, sort of CM/AM mix? The guy who helps defense and tries to slice the other teams defensive line with a great pass? Again, Bradley. Or Torres. Corona may fit here, as well as Johnson.

Or perhaps a resilient AM/SS mix who can drift to the middle from either side? That very modern "joker" that is free to roam behind the forward line. Dempsey, Gatt and Shea come to mind here.

I think the future of the USA is:

----------------DM------------------
    ----------CM1------CM2-----------
    ----RF--------CF------------LF----

Where CM1 is a strong guy, able to open the road even when marked by tough destroyers. Someone like Jones, Spector, Cameron even.

The DM is mainly a stay-at-home cover for the CBs, he will be vital, must be an intelligent man who won't spoil the offside trap, who will have the focus to know when to help on one side or the other or through the middle, fast and strong, with solid ball control. That guy is the Golden Key to the system. If he plays well, the team plays well. Daniel Williams has the position so far. He has yet to improve. Other names? Edu, Beckerman(?).

CM2 is the guy that will be playing the AM role you folks clamor, in most games where the rival is strong enough not to keep a dedicated AM out there. That guy is Bradley, of course. The man who will organize the attack. But always having some defensive responsibility. Not covering the CBs though. Mike was never good at that, IMO. After him, there are names like Mix, Corona et al. The natural #2 would be Sacha Kljestan, though. Unless Holden returns.

The other formation, less often used (against weaker opposition, or when scoring is a must):

-----------------DM------------------
    ------------CM-----------------------
    ---RW-----------AM---------LW---
    ---------------CF---------------------

The CM would be the more attacking type (Bradley, Torres), reason why the side forwards would have to withdraw a little, to prevent getting killed on the sides. That AM role could be played by Kljestan, or Dempsey. The former needs more experience with the team. The latter, needs to learn how to connect the DM and CM to the attackers.

The ideal would be someone like Adu, but better --sturdier, more physical, more precise, less given to waste time with useless feints, with a lot more vision. In other words, a taller, stronger, less shy Donovan.

The ideal guy does not exist. I'm skeptical about Dempsey ever learning the subtleties of positioning to fit the role against anything but the weakest opposition. I don't see Adu becoming good enough for the role either. He just lacks the mental discipline to be consistent enough at the international level.

Kljestan is worth a few more tries. So is Diskerud. Donovan could be given another run, he has the brains for the position, more than the necessary speed, but he lacked the fearlessness to keep the ball under control --when he was tried there, a few years ago, he got scared and passed the ball prematurely as soon as there was pressure.

So my best bets would be Sacha and Mix. In a pinch, Feilhaber. That's how BB used him in the WC.

24. PANDEMONEUM

PANDEMONEUM Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Club:
    Asteras Tripolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sacha and Mix
    those are our only 2 options
    but, idk, about a full 90min in that formation or style
    we have used a 4-2-3-1
    but that middle spot has been more of a F than an AM
    and those at the "2", have been DMs or CMs

Dempsey and Donovan canNOT b AMs, IMO

Donovan doesnt want and cant handle the contact

Dempsey doesnt have the vision or creativity, to create chances for others

a concern that was brought up in another thread
    Jones and Bradley DO NOT work together
    they seem to operate independently
    i realized it when ive watched those 2, but until someone put it into words,
    i didnt realize how much it is true
    i would really like to see Sacha in there with Bradley
    i think Sacha really helps with our possession
    i feel his movements and combination play is really Different than anyone else we have
    demp - herc - donov
    --bradley - sacha
    -----williams

25. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll go on the record....