Who do you think the best players in Europe are RIGHT NOW?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by yasik19, Nov 17, 2004.

1. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I KNOW I'll probably get reamed for this, but the question did say RIGHT NOW. As on form as Robben is right now, Michael Owen's current form is comparable. He has been a major factor in Real's resurgence and could be argued for in this instance.

2. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    No, you are absolutely right, which is what makes Mel's iditiotic statement that Shearer is one of the 3 best players in Europe RIGHT NOW so dumb. I am trying to get through his thick skull the RIGHT NOW part.

3. Ronaldo T Willemski

Ronaldo T Willemski New Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Brizroy
    Maybe we could re-name the thread

"Who is on fire/red hot/kick it to me ill score" at the moment

4. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Then it'll turn into the "Andy Johnson is the best player in Europe" thread...which is still a better choice than "Alan Shearer is the best player in Europe"

5. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My top 3 players in Europe RIGHT NOW:
    1) Adriano
    2) Eto'o (would be #1 but user acmilan_barcelona made me hate Barca)
    3) Shevchenko

If I had to put #4 I might consider John Terry. The stats speak for themselves. He's playing incredible, leading the team and there's no reason defenders can't get love.

6. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    id drop adriano down after his stupid redcard, seemed more like wayne rooney for a moment.

1.Sheva
    2.robben
    3.adriano

7. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Joe Cole, as someone said, has never played as well in his dreams as Robben is playing right now!

8. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Van der Vaart's goal looks remarkably like Ibra's goal against Denmark in Euro 2004, only the Zlatmeister's was struck about half a foot above his head, IIRC.

9. bardsoccer

bardsoccer Member

Oct 2, 2002
    Venice
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Umm, has anyone said Ronaldinho? And for all the Robben talk, its just typical big soccer banter. Everyone seems to jump on the bangwagon of whoever or whatever is hot at the moment. Where is your sense of objectivity? Robben is a fantastic talent but I think not even he would say he is one of the best players in Europe right now. I am a die hard Arsenal fan so I have to say Henry but how about John Terry? An absolute class player.

10. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Premier League is the best in the world. Big Al is still firing them in. It did say ' who do you thinks is '. I think that Shearer is the bogs fooking bollox. Can i not have my opinion steady eddie. Americans are crap, simple as. Have A Nice Day Y'All. Fook off and serve me my food, you bunch of food loving, obese fattys. Quadruple Cheesburger to go. Get some exercise, cut down on the pork pies.

11. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Probably the worst post I've ever seen on BigSoccer. And that's saying something, fella.

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Shearer doesn't play and Newcastle win. Funny that. Time to retire Alan.

13. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ahh signature material from the biggest tool on BigSoccer...thanks, you've now bumped nicephoras and all the world (or BigSoccer) will see just how much of an ass you are)...

14. nirvaanfc

nirvaanfc Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 13, 2004
    Trinidad & Tobago
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Gianluigi Buffon (Italy, Juventus)
    Fabio Cannavaro (Italy, Juventus)
    Andriy Shevchenko (Ukraine, A.C.Milan)
    Adriano (Brazil, Inter Milan)

These guys have had me simply amazed thus far with their play this season.

Arjen Robben (Netherlands, Chelsea)
    Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Sweden, Juventus)
    Gianluca Zambrotta (Italy, Juventus)
    Ronaldinho (Brazil, Barcelona)
    Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon, Barcelona)
    John Terry (England, Chelsea)
    Thierry Henry (France, Arsenal) has really cooled off of late.
    Valeri Bojinov (Bulgaria, Lecce)
    Frank Lampard (England, Chelsea)
    Xabi Alonso (Spain, Liverpool)
    Dimitar Berbatov (Bulgaria, Leverkusen)
    Ivan Klasnic (Croatia, Werder Bremen)
    Boudewijn Zenden (Netherlands, Middlesbrough)

All these guys have been playing very well also, but unlike the top four from which i have seen mind-boggling displays week in week out, these guys haven't been quite as consistent, but very good nonetheless!

15. CrisRicHeldTiago

CrisRicHeldTiago New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Where's Deco? Where's Cristiano Ronaldo? Where's Carvalho? Where's Pires?
    Where's Baros?

16. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cronaldo isnt impressing anyone right now.

17. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I understand how a chelsea fan can call somebody stupid...

18. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how many fans does it take to believe sheva(serie a top scorer) is not an elite player? 1 retard, you

19. Wingtips1

Wingtips1 Member+

May 3, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I never said he wasn't an elite player, he would be my 6 or 7 choice as a forward. I simply said to be considered amongst the top, you'd have to be able to play anywhere, and I simply don't think Sheva would be able to perform in England. Also, I simply compared Sheva's style to that of Crespo, although sheva is a superior player.

20. Alan Reet

Alan Reet New Member

May 19, 2004
    God's Country
    Frank Lampard has the best pass ratio of any player in the EPL. I'm not saying he's the best player in Europe but he is consistently playing well, passing, tackling, attacking and defending, he is always involved or looking to get involved. He is a great team player. John Terry and Steven Gerrard have been outstanding this season also.

Everyone is talking about strikers being the best in Europe but it's the midfield players who work their arses off to win the ball in the first place to supply and support the strikers.

21. Mel B

Mel B Red Card

Nov 10, 2004
    South Shields UK
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I can feel all that love as you were typing that messege, steady eddie.

22. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    Gerrard has only played in 6 matches. He does have two goals, which translates to 12 or 13 over the span of the season. Having missed a handful of matches, he'll be lucky to mark 10, which cannot be considered outstanding for a midfielder, IMO. Pires already has 8 tallies.

23. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lets see hes led serie a twice in scoring, threatinging to do it again, hes averaging almost a goal a game for milan this season, a goal a game internationally for the ukraine(a weaker side), and always competes well in the champions league. but any sane fans standards the only strikers that can be compared to him rightnow are henry(someone who CANT compete at all levels as well as he does int he epl), adriano, and eto'o(has less goals, and hasnt proven himself for very long at this level of play). sheva cant make it in the epl, what a ridiculous statemnt. if you are going to tell me sheva and crespo are similar players, im going to be youve seen sheva play maybe 1 time. and what makes eto'o suited for the epl BTW? henry cant play everywhere, and that is your curiculum isnt it?

24. frysc

frysc New Member

Oct 15, 2004

Damien Duff is the best winger in the EPL. C'mon, wright-phillips, zenden, C. Ronaldo and Pires are all much better than him.

25. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i dont think goal tallies should be how we rank a midfielder against another. especially when its gerrard to an all out attacking winger.