Who deserves a chance to play with the Mexico national team?

Discussion in 'Mexico National Team' started by magllon, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Juancho25

Juancho25 New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    Chicago
    Club:
    Club León
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  2. clubamericalara

clubamericalara Member+

Jun 20, 2013
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Club América
    I hope everyone puts to rest the bullshit that Piojo is biased when making selections to the national team.. he stuck to his word and has said that the players in best form will go to the world cup... so even though I am an America fan, if Raul Jimenez doesnt make the squad and Marco does... I am perfectly fine with it... slow your role antiamericanistas..

ShockMaster and Saul Acosta repped this.
  3. Gerardo Silva

Gerardo Silva Member+

Jan 23, 2013
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yarbrough
    Chaton
    Carlos Fierro
    And for God's Sake any LB young.....

deepspace and It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  4. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    I cant believe people are suggesting Araujo....that dude is a tank but he is slow as shit.

5. MX92

MX92 Member+

Feb 27, 2013
    im more surprised people want yarbrough :eek:

6. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Speed has never been a strong suit in our CBs. Positioning, finesse on the ball & anticipation is what we produce.

His "lack" of speed didn't prevent him from holding his own in Copa America against some of the best players in the world. He was our best defender against Uruguay and had some stellar games with Cruz Azul in the Libertadores.

Frankly, I'm not sure what you lot are e xpecting given the current talent that is available.

I laugh when I think about Moreno's first couple of games with the national team. He was crucified on BSMX for looking out of his depth against TnT in the HEX in 2009.

This crop of young defenders have significantly more experience at a younger age with similar potential and people are read to dismiss them.

siva66, ipaman, icybauer and 4 others repped this.
  7. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    One of our standout players.. and didn't we play with a line of 3 that whole tourney also?

8. Baysic

Baysic Member+

Jun 11, 2009
    The Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    The Copa America in 2011? lol

Agreed with the bold though, and I think your point would stand if across the board our 5 defenders all had an above average level of positioning so that we could outweigh foot speed like that, but we don't.

You could be the smartest CB in the world with tons of ball skill, and still because of the nature of the game where you cant mentally plan everything in real time, a fast player with technique is going to get one over you when they challenge you, or you might not see a pass, that's where you have to have at least some remotely acceptable speed to make a play, and that's where were getting absolutely exposed because our guys are always a step behind. It's been happening to rafa, its been happening to Moreno, and Reyes (who IMO looks like the faster of the three). We have too much of a the same player there, and we don't need to be adding more like Araujo.

When i look at the speed distribution across the 5 man line, its actually pretty alarming that as you move inwards from the outside the players immensely slower. The reality is that Marquez will be a starter right in the WC, and so will Moreno most likely, who is very slow for a CB his age. I feel like the 3rd CB has to be fastest one available because somebody has to be able to collapse on the player with the ball as fast as he can and make a play when the other two get left in the dust or make an error(which will happen, and even more frequent as the opposition quality gets better).

That's what puyol was to pique and rafa at his best, his legs went, and look at the defense now.

Now what am I expecting? That we keep working with what we have and make it work, OR if we are gonna start looking for another CB, then we don't add a guy like Araujo and start exploring one of the quicker guys that maybe aren't as methodical, because we have tons of players with a skill set like that already, and they do it better. The name of the game right now for us in terms off defense is balance. We are slow as shit back there.

For all the shit that Topo gets, in our most recent GC and the game he played, he and Layun were the ones closing on a lot the balls that our CB's should have been covering. Why? Because they have the legs to make it there.

...In my defense repped this.
  9. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Yup.

Araujo, Reynoso & Mier as CBs
    Reyes & Chaton in the middle
    Aguilar & Ponce as wingbacks
    Gio as an enganche
    Rafa Marquez Lugo as the striker

A bit different from Herrera's formation since he plays with two strikers, no enganche, one DM & two interiores.

10. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    sneak peak at how our line of 3/5 does against top teams. ;)

11. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    deepspace repped this.
  12. Miguel Myers

Miguel Myers Member+

Dec 3, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  13. Mr. P Mosh

Mr. P Mosh Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Monterrey, NL, Mex
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I preffer De Nigris over Zurdo, and I don't think De Nigris will be in Brazil, so, no thanks from me as well.

iveman27 and deepspace repped this.
  14. Dr. Deplorable

Dr. Deplorable Member+

Mar 31, 2007
    Kansas
    Why do you want more LB's?? RB's are what we need.. Layun Guardado ponce should be more than enough

Miguel Myers repped this.
  15. Dr. Deplorable

Dr. Deplorable Member+

Mar 31, 2007
    Kansas
    People have been looking at the wrong CB in Santos... Like my girl @Baysic says we need some speed in our defense and the person that best fits that capability would be Oswaldo Alanis who I think is every bit as good as Araujo but doesn't get the same amount of press

JJV1994 and Miguel Myers repped this.
  16. Gerardo Silva

Gerardo Silva Member+

Jan 23, 2013
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Because there are a bunch of young players that could fill that position in around 2 years....
    Flores, Abella, Pizarro and the other guy from Pachuca..
    In the other hand in the LB we need a generational change and it doesn't seem that there is a good prospect for the future... Guardado is not the same like other years and Layun i don't know...
    Villalobos could be a good prospect but he needs more games and experience... anyways that's my reason.

17. manuel84

manuel84 Member+

Oct 16, 2012
    Tatatatamaulipas
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Mr. P Mosh repped this.
  18. ricardofloresc7

Mar 27, 2013
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Abella is really a bad player, you follow me on twitter you could see my and other of the people who know football better than myself opinions :p (as Futincorrecto or Javiro8), and hopefully Pizarro's stint as a wingback gets an end soon, such a waste of talent to put him there. Agree on Flores though. And Villalobos has played as a wingback, but his conditions are for a Left winger, even a mediapunta, it would be such a waste (and an error seeing he's lacking defensive talent) to put him as a Leftback.

19. austin23

austin23 Member

Jun 30, 2009
    Semarang, Indonesia
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Edwin hernandez and magallon from Leon

Luke Wolf and hugo Ayala from Tigres

Gerrard florence and paul barrier. Im not sold on aquino at all. My boy barrier is more complete as a RW

Jahir pereira

20. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    ^bunch of super shitty players there might as well go piojo's picks.

ShockMaster and Puma76 repped this.
  21. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    If Pereira is being touted, I'd rather give Nacho Gonzalez from Leon a chance to prove himself.

The Huiqui-Pereira CB tandem from the last GC ha to be the worst in recent memory.

JJV1994 and icybauer repped this.
  22. LGRod

LGRod Member+

Mexico
    Aug 14, 2010
    Listenin to Los Bookies
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Why not both, dug?:alien:

Yes. No to the rest though.
    Yes

23. Ronrris

Ronrris Member+

Feb 13, 2008
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    11CarlosV.

JJV1994, elvasco and deepspace repped this.
  24. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Javier Orozco

Overachiever repped this.