Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Re: VWFC 2011 Roster [IN: Watson, Ngyuen, Lee; OUT: Nolly]

i believe that if the player is gone b4 the season begins, his salary is NOT counted towards the salary cap-- any1 know who is right under MLS rules??

we do know that only a portion of his salary counts under the salary cap- i believe that about $180 000 out of $426 000 is salary exempt

but as the Sheik said-- will the owners be willing to buy out his contract/trade him at a loss (maybe back to his belgium team) and admit a mistake had been made?? its easy to say get rid of jarju, but its not my $$$$$-- but he is a lightening rod of discontent for the fans and no doubt for some of the other players who make far less money and are more productive

along with the TS issue, the jarju issue needs a resolution soon-- i would expect that we will know by mid-january (thats my speculation which is fair game for a forum like this)-- rennie does come across as a coach who will not continue with a player who does not give 100%

2. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I think you're probably right about the salary only counting if the player starts the season. I assume the cap hit quoted in the Sporting News article assumes he will play next year.

I'm also hoping for an announcement re Jarju quickly in the new year. Hopefully one of the advantages of ownership with deep pockets, as the Whitecaps have, is that they are willing to make the hard decisions and deal with the odd expensive mistake instead of stubbornly pressing forward and hoping for an improvement where none is likely.

3. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Oops--forgot about Teibert earlier, who'll hopefully get more time under Rennie than under Soehn. So here's my revised pick s for the starting 11 as things now stand:

-----------New Keeper TBD------------

Lee---Mitchell--Demerit--Rochat

TBD?----------Koffie(?)---------Teibert

----------Chiumiento----------

-----Hassli---------Camilo-----

Bench:
    F--Tan, Salgado
    CMF--Koffie (if a top rate CM is signed), Thorrington, Alderson
    R/LMF--Watson, Nguyen, Nanchoff, Davies, Harvey
    D--Boxall, Harvey
    Goal: Cannon, Sylvestre(?)

4. Paintking

Paintking Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks

Haven't seen much comment about Mat Watson coming to your Vancouver team (or maybe I just overlooked it). I've been watching him for three years down here in Cary, NC. He is an excellent all around player that works hard on both ends of the field. Of course Rennie knows him well and will know where to fit him in. For me I hope he ends up a starter for you. Watson was the best Railhawk over his three year stay. I'd love to see him do well in MLS.

PS I wish my sad DC United team had picked him up a couple of years ago when they had the chance.

5. whitecapfever

whitecapfever New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

Are there any more railhawks who will make the jump to the MLS? There was talk that Vancouver was going to sign Barbara but don't know if Montreal picked him up?

6. Paintking

Paintking Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks

There are a number of other Railhawks that have been and/or probably are good enough to go to the MLS. Rennie does have a reputation of taking players along with him when he changes teams, so maybe you will see more Railhawks in Vancouver.

Besides Barbara I'd say that Campos, Steele and Knighton are the most likely. Zimmerman, Low, and Elenio are possible but less likely.

7. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

Please provide proof or documentation of your salary cap rules. I think you are just making it up.

8. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I've seen highlight video of Steele and he looks to me like a big, tough attacking midfielder who's got great passing touch. I wouldn't mind seeing someone like him here next year. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQiROyASsxo"]Jonny Steele Highlights w/Carolina Railhawks and Puerto Rico Islanders - YouTube[/ame]

9. whitecapfever

whitecapfever New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

Maybe he can tell how much Landon Donavan's $2.1 million and David Beckham's $6.5 million contract count against LA's cap. The last time I checked Jarju like Donavan and Beckham is a designated player.

10. marcopaulo

marcopaulo Member

Nov 19, 2005
    Vancouver

11. Paintking

Paintking Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks

Big and tough are not words that jump to my mind. He has a cannon for a left foot, very good skills, very quick, tenacious, and good vision. His play can be a bit erratic but in general he is a very good player.

In answer to another comment here (forgot to quote directly), I'm not sure he is the same guy who previously played for the Caps and Tampa. He has been on the Railhawks and the Puerto Rico Islanders for the last three seasons. Three years ago he came into to Cary with a big chip on his shoulder for some reason. You could see the great promise in his game but he was really hot headed and immature. He has come along way since then and has become a much better team player.

12. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

the Caps need a MF who has a strong pedigree for experience, leadership and creativity, worthy of a DP label-- i just dont think that signing steele and the $$$ that goes to him is worth it

13. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Jonny Steele is in fact the same guy we had here in NASL Whitecaps.

He had a tough time fitting in... he was never going to be much of a success mind you, considering he was battling for minutes with Martin Nash, as he was the central mid leader that created the attack etc. Steele was traded to Tampa for Long Tan, Tampa loaned Steele to the Railhawks. Unless he has matured a lot and improved a lot he won't be an upgrade over what the Caps have here already imho.

14. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: VWFC 2011 Roster [IN: Mattocks]

Well, for all the speculation about Montreal taking Mattocks #1 and leaving us Wenger at #2, they snapped up Wenger and we got Mattocks. (I'm sure the combine helped Wenger's boost.)

Thoughts on getting another young forward?

15. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I've heard other teams showed interest in Mattocks after the WC picked him, but I haven't heard anything from the FO that they'll move him.

If he stays, it should be interesting to see how the WC striker situation pans out. Hassli and Camilo (assuming they can sign him) would remain my picks in the immediate future as starters, but with Harris back from injury and Tan last year making a run for a spot, and with Salgado and now Mattocks waiting in the wings, it should be interesting how they manage playing time for them all. With Rennie apparently liking a 4-3-3 formation, could we see some of these guys tried out on the wings? I read somewhere that that may be an option for Harris in such a formation. The preseason games should be interesting.

A detail I found interesting was that Rennie, apparently, predicted that Montreal would take Wenger, even though all the WC staff and many other commentators picked them to take Mattocks. See here in this interview:

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2012/01/rennie-vancouver-jump-chance-grab-mattocks

His instincts are something else.

16. whitecapfever

whitecapfever New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

Is Vancouver's midfield that bad as people talk about?

Chiumento, Koffie, Thorington, Nguyen, Jarju, Alderson, Teibert, Nanchoff, Watson.

17. Brittania

Brittania Member

Oct 26, 2011

Sounds like Mattocks had a couple big years at Akron but what is a comparible level of play to the NCAA? Doing it at the NCAA level is one thing, at MLS that will be another. If there was interest in Mattocks that is at least a good sign.

18. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Last year, yes.

Koffie was a stud, but at times inexperience showed (not that often though); Teibert was either injured or not played by Soehn; Nanchoff was injured for 90% of the season, along with Thorington. Jarju, when he came was weak, but mostly played as a striker. Chiumiento was very moody, and also misplayed on the wings a lot. He's a cre4ative attacking CM, who needs to tough defensive mid behind him to clean up. Alderson was unsigned and didn't play. Nguyen wasn't on the team. That left Vagenas in the middle, and Salinas on the other wing. Don't get me started about Vagenas, and Salinas was only marginally better. The fact that both are gone speaks volumes. With Vagenas in the middle, it was essentially a one-man CM at times, with Koffie playing for both of them. The weak mid was one of the causes of the WC defensive troubles too, I think.

I'm hoping for a much better year in the middle this year, but I think the WC still need an aggressive, dominant DCM with experience before they can seriously become a playoff contender. If they can legitimately say that they have a strong center mid with Koffie as depth, then I'll be happy.

19. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

We just signed GK Brad Knighton as a free agent (last with the Carolina Railhawks...a team you may have heard about...)

I also forgot to update this thread when we signed Bonjour. That is now reflected in the subject heading, along with the new year.

20. whitecapfever

whitecapfever New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

Another Railhawk addition, Whitecaps trade (Garcia) #2 2012 supplemental pick to Montreal for Barbara. Internationals are starting to pile up.

21. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Whitecaps 2012 Roster [IN: Knighton, Mattocks, Bonjour]

Barbara isn't signed yet - they've only required the MLS rights to negotiate/sign, but I imagine it will be a done deal very soon.

And once the deal *is* done, I begin to wonder if Camilo's days are numbered. He whined a while back, and we haven't heard anything about him since, and now we are stocking up on forwards like Spurlock on BigMacs.

Oh wait. Faulty analogy...

22. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Technically, the 'Caps just got Montreal's discovery claim on Barbara, which isn't quite the same as signing him. He's known to want to play in MLS, but was not signed with Montreal (who therefore cannot trade him) because they were apparently not offering him as good a deal as he had in NC. I'm guessing Vancouver won't have that problem, though...

23. whitecapfever

whitecapfever New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

Well I guess they still had authority to trade his rights

Internationals (only room for 9)
    1. Hassli
    2. Mitchell
    3. Pyo-Lee
    4. Barbara
    5. Tan
    6. Mattocks
    7. Jarju
    8. Bonjour
    9. Koffie
    10. Camilo
    11. Chiumiento

12. Harris?

Possible Interanationals barring immigration paperwork
    13. Watson
    14. Boxall

Pretty sure Rochat has immigration paperwork

24. whitecapfever

whitecapfever New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Re: Whitecaps 2012 Roster [IN: Knighton, Mattocks, Bonjour]

Whitecaps FC insist Camilo is still under contract. However with the additions of Barbara and Mattocks it might be an idea to deal Camilo for a talented midfielder/defender that we are lacking. Like they say you need to give quality to get quality.

25. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yup. The discovery rule (which had Etienne absolutely pissed off, at least judging by the interviews) is such that no other MLS team can sign him for 2012 without the team that filed the claim either trading said claim (as just happened) or waiving it - which, after all, is pretty much what it takes to ensure they get him if anyone does. That's not a great thing to write a rule around (I think it's bad for lower-division soccer, since if you do well at D2 you can be damn sure there won't be multiple MLS teams bidding for your attention), but it's what the rule is meant to do and it serves its purpose.