Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: Whitecaps 2011 Roster thread [currently: IN - Lee Young-Pyo; OUT - Shea Salinas]

I couldn't disagree more. Salinas basically had two moves--head straight to the corner flag and cut in, or head straight to the corner of the 18 and try to shoot or cut. Once defenders figured that out, they just backed up a bit to cut out his speed. He just kept running at them. Not sure which games you watched other than Man City, but Salinas lost the ball regularly on those runs toward the end of the season, partly because defenders adjusted easily to him, and because his decision-making with the ball at his feet was slow, so he telegraphed his crosses. By the time he got one off, defenders were usually in position to block them--which they did quite often.

He was part of the reason the Caps attack struggled--lost the ball too much and rarely fed it effectively to the forwards.

Salinas has been left unprotected in the last couple expansion drafts, and was picked up, only to be passed on each time by the same expansion teams that picked him. This time around, the Whitecaps protected him only to trade him for allocation money. That's a player whose career is as stagnant as his play. We need better.

2. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Re: Whitecaps 2011 Roster thread [currently: IN - Lee Young-Pyo; OUT - Shea Salinas]

absolutely right-- less than mediocrity and inconsistency plaqued the caps all year-- and salinas was just 1 of many players-- we finally seem to have a coach in martin rennie who knows what he wants and takes action quickly to begin the process of making a competitive team... i just hope he does not fall into signing too many D2 players- as we have seen and other teams as well, not too many + 22 year old D2 players can successfully make the upgrade to MLS

3. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: VWFC 2011 Roster [IN: Lee; RE: Cannon, Thorrington; OUT: Nolly]

Finally, Lee's signing is confirmed in English...and not by Korean google translations...

5. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

as long as he is not taking up a DP space, this is an excellent signing

if he is on a DP status, thern i hope this is a signal that jarju is on his way out, thus allowing for another DP signing, hopefully in MF

6. vagabondmd

vagabondmd Member

Feb 25, 2005
    Re: International player designation

Lol I hate to burst your bubble...err let me break it to you...he's way beyond mls level. He will rip it in the mls. He rips through world class players during world cups... Has played consistently well for every team... Need I say more?

7. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: International player designation

I think we all hope this is the case, but Vancouver sports fans have long ago learned to have tempered and slightly pessimistic expectations (excepting the Whitecaps, Vancouver doesn't have a history of high-level winners), and until this organization gets rid of Soehn, or Rennie proves to be the NorthAmerican coming of Sir Alex Ferguson, we are all afraid to be raucously optimistic.

But I'm ready to pony up publicly: I like this signing, and I like Rennie. I'm glad the VWFC has staked phase two of the club on him. And Lee seems like *exactly* the cut and quality of player I would love to see play for this team.

8. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Agreed.

I have to take a shot at Sir Alex Fergbie, though. I'd rather think/hope that Rennie is the North American coming of Jose Mourinho (someone Rennie has also said he admires). Fergusen's good, but he's also been comfortably ensconced in the corporate money machine that is Man U for how many years now?. When you have money pouring constantly from every orifice, is it really such a big deal that the team is near the top of the table? Could a trained monkey on a typewriter field-side not pull off something similar? Mourinho, on the other hand, has moved around to different teams, leagues and countries. The only consistency is his winning, wherever he goes. He's the real deal, while Fergusen's fallible. See Man U's loss to Barcelona last year, and their loss to Man City this year. Oops.

Full disclosure--I think Man U is generally less appealing than a dead slug located under a rotting dung heap, but that's just me.

But I digress--yay for Lee.

9. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I think I see why Rennie likes Lee. The video the Whitecaps posted on their site today showcases his offensive talents: http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/201...mer-south-korean-world-cup-star-young-pyo-lee

But this one shows him playing more at the back:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR8P5x0yWvc&feature=related"]Lee Young Pyo VS Spain.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

This second video makes me happy because it wasn't that long ago (uploaded June 2010), because it shows Lee more than holding his own against a team like Spain, and because I don't see him making many friends on that Spanish team. Seems to give no quarter at the back. Not at all fun to play against, I suspect. Yeah, makes me very happy indeed.

10. koreansock

koreansock Red Card

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxriJ1NJsjI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxriJ1NJsjI[/ame]

Can Lee be traded?

11. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

Huh? Why would you want to know if we can trade a guy just signed.

12. koreansock

koreansock Red Card

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay

Rephrase: Can Lee be traded the way Ljunberg was? You know, unknowingly, and unwillingly? Can MLS teams hand out no-trade clauses? Does Lee have one?

Just a concerned Korean fan worried about Lee's fate, that's all.

13. Fynnsky

Fynnsky Member

Jul 15, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  14. whitecapfever

whitecapfever New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Re: VWFC 2011 Roster [IN: Watson, Ngyuen, Lee; OUT: Nolly]

Projected starting 11?

1.Cannon
    2.Demerit
    3. Mitchell
    4. Lee
    5. Rochat
    6. Harvey
    7. Nguyen
    8. Koffie
    9. Chiumento
    10. Hassli
    11. Hopefully Camilo

Too bad Camilo can't just trade salaries with Jarju. Camilo is probably comparing his salary and performance to Jarju. Also, what's the health status of Atiba Harris. Roster is beginning to look way better then 2011 as long as Camilo comes back...

Caps need a couple more quality/serviceable defenders and a keeper to compete with Cannon.

15. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

yeah, it would be awfully sad and embarrassing if Camilo left over money but we have Jarju parked on the bench for over 400k.

16. ixadvent

ixadvent Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Club:
    Whitecaps

We still haven't figured out who was the genius that found Jarju. Unless Jarju comes out with incredible form and can play well next season, i think its just an embarrassment that we wasted our DP spot and money for some bench warmer who isn't even qualify as a sub.

On the other hand I really hope Hassli can be more consistent next season, scoring on a regular basis is better than scoring multiple goals in one game.

Crazy idea here but perhaps next season we may try to change formation at some point of the game to 4-3-3

-------------------------------- Canon-------------------------------
    YP Lee---------------Demerit ---------------- Mitchell----------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Rochat

----------------------------------Koffie-------------------------------

--------------------Chiumiento------------------Nguyen---------------

---------------Tan ---------------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------Camilo------------
    ----------------------------------Hassli (Harris)------------------------

17. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

Jarju was scouted by Tommy Soehn and he went through with the signing.

18. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

this lineup is better than last years, but more skill, toughness and experience will be needed in the MF, the engine of any team

19. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

you keep saying what the Caps need; but you do not offer solutions.

20. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

actually if u had have been reading my comments, u would know that i have offered solutions-- u r prickly sometimes

i have stated that the Caps need to get rid of jarju's salary before the season starts and then use his salary cap money to sign a quality MF that has experience, intelligence, skill and leadership- even sign him to a DP salary

keeping jarju and then canning him-- which is a distinct possibility as i just dont see him fitting into the team-- after the season starts means that his salary is under the MLS salary cap and it makes it far more difficult to sign a quality MF that the Caps sorely need, aka TFC's torsten frings--the Caps will take a huge money loss, but keeping jarju only adds further pain to the team and the fans-- it was a bad signing, but bite the bullet and send him packing (easy to say when it is not my $$$)

while i dont have any players in mind, its a world market and for the right salary, surely a player like frings can be found-- hoping for a combination of koffie, thorrington, chiumiento, etc will not be good enough-- MF is the greatest need for the Caps

21. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

Do you have any proof or documentation that Jarju will not count on the cap if he is cut? And, do you have any evidence that ownership will be happy to pay a million bucks to get rid of him?

I want to see him gone just like you; but I think the reality is they are going to give him training camp and early season to try again.

This board is filled with people making things up with no evidence.

22. whitecapfever

whitecapfever New Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

As i understand it, Jarju is a designated player so his salary his exempt from the salary cap (eg. Donovan, Beckham and Keane have multi-million dollar salaries yet fit in the cap). The problem with Jarju is player's like Camilo are looking over their shoulder and seeing how pathetic Jarju's performance was and comparing their salary. Soehn should pretty much resign over this Jarjugate. The argument is the Club could put $450,000 to much better use.

23. ixadvent

ixadvent Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Club:
    Whitecaps

Nicely said!

In terms of our midfield department... So far from what i know about rennie is that he like to adapt the 4-3-3 formation. How i am seeing watson being brought in because he performed well for teh past three years under rennie and which means that watson will fit naturally into his system in the midfield department. With Koffie being my unsung hero of last season, he should automatically be in the starting XI in the middle of the park as well. Who doesnt like davide's moves and dribbling skills? If he gains consistency and performs well, we will have three very good midfielders next year.

I will not comment on Nguyen since I have not seen him played. My concern still remain in Thorington since he had been injured througout last season, my feeling is that he is better than Vagenas but not a player that we put on the field on a regular basis.

Like sportie1 said its a world market of players that we look after, so i hope we continue to be busy off season bringing in quality players and definitely finish off with a few friendlies which we can test out the squad before the season begin!

P.S. - we must not lose to Montreal, no way thats gona happen :cool:

24. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Where's your evidence?

25. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Apparently, Jarju's salary will count $335,000 against the Whitecaps' 2012 salary budget. Last year's hit was $167,500.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/soccer/...whitecaps-sign-gambian-forward-mustapha-jarju

So that's a significant difference from last year, and may be an issue when it comes to resigning Camilo at his desired salary, while at the same time signing some real quality in the middle. To me, Watson and Nguyen have to be seen as mainly depth players in the midfield, and I'd hesitate to use Tan on the wings just yet (what's his defensive potential--remember Camilo on the wing--not much defence)

Koffie is great and a player of the future in midfield, but to my mind, we need a tough holding MF with experience, especially if the plan is to play a 4-3-3 with Chiumiento playing as a creative withdrawn forward in the middle. Chiumiento has talent and creativity for sure, but I wouldn't count on his toughness--therefore, the need for a beast of a holding MF who could mentor Koffie as well.

Therefore, I'm waiting for them to hopefully sign top class midfielder sometime in January, before training camp and the start of the season--ideally someone of the calibre, but not the age, of a Torsten Frings. Other than the regular scouting, Rennie also said he's going to look around and talk to old contacts in the UK while he's home for Christmas, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that someone of real quality will turn up.

About Jarju: Can they renegotiate his salary, and resign him for significantly lower money as a non-DP? If yes, I'd definitely be in favour, otherwise, I say bite the bullet, buy him out and let Rennie do his thing to find a bona fide for the middle.

So here's my starting 11 & bench for next year as personnel on the team now stands:

-----------New Keeper TBD------------

Lee---Mitchell--Demerit--Rochat

TBD?----------Koffie(?)---------Harvey(?)

----------Chiumiento----------

-----Hassli---------Camilo-----

Bench:
    F--Tan, Salgado
    CMF--Koffie (if a top rate CM is signed), Thorrington, Alderson
    R/LMF--Watson, Nguyen, Nanchoff, Davies
    D--Boxall
    Goal: Cannon, Sylvestre(?)