Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. WhiteCapArmy

WhiteCapArmy Member

Mar 24, 2009
    vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Whitecaps 2010 Lineup/Roster thread [currently: Jarju, Dunfield]

that would be sick, but don't think it would be a good move for him to come to Vancouver right now, love to see him in the White and blue though.

2. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Hm.

That may be the "point of MLS" for you, but it sure as hell isn't what the point of MLS was for me. I wanted my own division one team to cheer for, attend, get behind. I like the idea of more British Columbians on the roster (so I'm bummed that Dunfield couldn't quite put forward the skill we need in CM), but our national team (like more and more national teams) is just a conglomerate of of mercenary-like immigrants wrenched away from paying clubs to play for national teams run by corrupt and/or incompetent national and international kleptocrats who return our players battered and exhausted once they've milked their efforts for massive sums of money.

So, yeah. I want the Whitecaps to win. I don't care who is on the roster.

3. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Guarda,

The point of MLS in Canada is NOT to make the MNT better, it's to make the WFC and TFC ownership money and the MLS money. that is all. don't fall under any illusions of other thoughts or motives.

TFC and WFC owe the CSA and the CMNT zilch!

I as a paying customer want to see the best team of players on the field, regardless of heritage, religion, nationality or any other stripes.

Would it be nice if the Caps and TFC started farming from their own back yards? Yes, but that will take time...and not bear fruit for quite a few years.

4. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

You are way off base there.

The point of MLS in Canada was to bring professional clubs to our country that we can support as they do in Europe and the rest of the world in larger stadia and crowds more than 5000. They are here to make the owners money, sell merchandise, and provide supporters a long term tradition.

By having academies and small Canadian quotas, there will be a definite spin-off (hopefully) in the development of Canadian talent. So, there is a legitimate chance that these three clubs will give us some National Team players over the next decade. But, to say that is the main reason for MLS is absurd.

5. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011

Well then I guess it is pure coincidence that US MNT has grown in leaps and bounds since MLS formed.

I also don't understand the U.S., Canadian player quotas and the International player limits. Doesn't make sense at all if it isn't related to domestic player growth. A team should be able to field a group comprised entirely of English, Dutch, Italians, French and Germans, no need to have a token Canadian(s) or Americans on the roster. Survival of the fittest.

6. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

This is true like I've always said, but if they are going to field a losing squad I'd like to see some more Canadians on the team.

7. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

You are being silly.

Growing the domestic player is a very important part of having a major domestic league like MLS. That is why they do have quotas. It is not intended to be "coincedence" as you put it. It is a part of the engine of developing a league.

But, for you to say it is "the main reason MLS came to Canada" is way off base. That is the point we are trying to make to you.

8. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

putting more canadians on the field will only make the scoreline worse and as a STH, i am not in support of that

it makes going to the game pointless... in more than 1 way

lets face it- most canadian players are at the most D-2 calibre and that wont change much for the the next 6-8 years until the 3 MLS teams academies start producing some more skillful players (unless the infamous CSA try and get their grubby, incompetent hands on their programs which i am expecting them to try and do at some time)

9. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

When I say more Canadians I mean 2 or 3 not a whole squad. In the old NASL days they did so successfully.

10. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011

More talk about Hargreaves (face palm)....

11. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  12. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Re: Whitecaps 2010 Lineup/Roster thread [currently: Brovsky, Khalfan, Duckett]

Losing both Brovsky and Khalfan surprised me. I liked Khalfan at times, as dehun said in another thread he came off the bench well, and seemed to be working his ass off in the last few games. Although the few other starts he had I felt he was pretty non-existent.

I felt Brovsky struggled and looked shaky in Right back. However he seemed to have an upside and the right tools to develop into a better player. Hopefully we see some solid additions to the roster with the space clearing going on. I doubt these 3 are the only ones to go in the next month.

13. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Re: Whitecaps 2010 Lineup/Roster thread [currently: Brovsky, Khalfan, Duckett]

I liked Brovsky much better in midfield, especially later on just before he was moved to right back. I don't think he's a defender. Shows Soehn's incompetence that he played Brovsky there.

14. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Whitecaps 2011 Lineup/Roster thread [currently: Lee Young-Pyo]

Lee Young-Pyo

I hope he’s coming over (relatively) cheaply and that we are keeping Rochat.

Having said that, if the deal is done, I’m looking for positives:
    - the massive Korean community in Van should love this, as he is quite an icon
    - Lee plays LB(/RB) but is similar to Rochat in that he loves to surge forward into attack; if he plays right-side, either he or Rochat can surge forward as a WB depending which side of the field has the play – could make for some exciting soccer
    - this guy has tons of character quality from what I’ve read, and loads of experience

But, yeah, signing an older expensive player is worrying. Having said, that, if we add another talented attacking back that can link into the attack through the middle of the field, we may well find that (barring injury) Lee is exactly what we need to get all our pistons firing. We certainly don’t lack for firepower up front.

I just hope he came cheap.

15. koreansock

koreansock Red Card

Sep 28, 2009
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    Re: International player designation

From what I've seen of Vancouver, you guys can use help in just about anywhere. Lee Youngpyo is a quality player and, DP or not DP, Vancouver is very lucky to have him. He was pursued by just about every Korean club, along with a handful of other clubs from Japan and the Middle East. Obviously, I can't speak for Vancouver's supporters, but I really don't see where the scepticism would come from. Vancouver is a club in second year of its history, and with the current squad they have, it isn't likely to go anywhere for the next two years--duration in which Lee Youngpyo signed for. Take quality where you can and run with it.

Lee Youngpyo's been training with FC Seoul's first squad the past two months or so and he's all warmed up and ready. When his contract with Al-Hilal expired this past summer, he thought retirement and took a bit of rest. However, you should not translate this hint of hesitation as him being gassed out. His stamina has been his strength since the moment he put on his first pair of cleats and you can see a glimpse of his liveliness by watching Korea's match against Uruguay in last year's World Cup during which he was practically everywhere. Also, he was a fan favourite in his last club--Al Hilal of Saudi Arabia--and you don't become a fan favourite at a foreign land by being lazy, old, and slow. I expect him to share a similar stint with Vancouver; and even if he doesn't end up being a favourite, fans will at the very least learn to appreciate his professionalism and dedication.

He can play left defence or right, but I wouldn't advise Rennie to employ him as a winger [as he has never played there since turning professional :eek:]. He's not typically a great crosser, but he can be during moments of confidence, or urgency. As it has been said, he is very alive during the match and likes to join in on an attacks by the means of overlapping and dribbling. He has good control of the ball, and will lure lots of fouls by the sideline, but don't expect him to dribble past 2-3 defenders and breakdown the opposition completely. At his age, he's lost the athleticism and speed to chase after balls and cut passes, but regardless, he's still a very experienced defender and you will not see him get beat or allow a cross too many times against MLS wingers.

16. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Whitecaps 2011 Roster thread [currently: IN - Lee Young-Pyo; OUT - Shea Salinas]

Good-bye Shea. Good luck in San Jose.

Personally I think this is a good move for both parties. For Shea, he goes back to the team he found the most success with. He seems like a great guy who is always thinking of others, and I hope he finds a better fit.

From a VWFC perspective though, if only he'd scored half his easy chances... He just doesn't seem to have that clutch finishing touch, and the ones that he missed sent me into spiralling madness. =)

So that gives us an idea that Rennie really is serious about keeping a core, but really reworking the ancillary parts to make it his team. What does our team look like now?

[LINEUP-4-4-2]Hassli, Camilo, Teibert, Chiumiento, Koffie, Harris, Rochat, Mitchell, DeMerit, Lee, Cannon[/LINEUP-4-4-2]

With Long Tan as the go-to substitute?

I have a feeling Rennie could easily turf nearly all the other journeymen (Thorrington, etc), and maybe Cannon too. But assuming all other changes to be minor, I'd guess this as a Starting XI.

17. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Re: Whitecaps 2011 Roster thread [currently: IN - Lee Young-Pyo; OUT - Shea Salinas]

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...+offer+players+entry+draft/5790203/story.html

well, rennie continues to clean house by not signing another 6 former players and/or not signing them to a new contract-- the only player that they might re-sign will be cannon at goal position, but probably at a lower salary (if he would accept it); thorrington might also be in that category, but the rest are history

the BIG question is still what will the caps do with jarju-- buy him out/trade him at a loss and get more available $$$ for signing new players, including a high profile DP for mid-field, or keep him and see if he can upgrade his play to a DP level (which i dont think he can do, and keeping him reminds the fans of what stupidity it was to sign him in the first place- getting rid of him is the best scenario for the front office-- admit you made a mistake and move on)

2012 will be a rebuilding year, but i expect a team that will play more consistently over 90 minutes, have more discipline and energy, be more cohesion and be more competitive, especially in the second part of the season

i like what rennie is doing so far-- he had to clean house-- what he brings in will be most interesting... but it will be a lot better than what we had (no disrespect meant to the exiting players, most who gave their best)

18. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Re: Whitecaps 2011 Lineup/Roster thread [currently: Lee Young-Pyo]

Any cost would be tied to his salary. He's a free agent, so there's no transfer fee.

19. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

If Lee really is coming here, then we've got a player by all accounts very much like Rochat for the right back position. I CAN'T WAIT for that scenario to play out next season. Please let them all stay healthy!!

I still think Rennie will get a beast for center-mid if he can. He had one in Jonny Steele in Carolina, and any really competitive team needs one. If they want to make use of Chiumiento's creativity in midfield, then they need to play a diamond formation in the middle, which again means you need a very strong holding central mid so Chiumiento can roam and set up the strikers. Dede was miscast earlier last season on the wing. Koffie is a fantastic player, but he is not the anchor mid in that scenario right now--not enough experience. He'd be the depth player in that situation for the next year or two, to be mentored by whatever veteran holding mid is brought in. Thorrington, given his age, injury problems and attacking tendencies, is the logical odd man out if Chiumiento is to be the creative attacking element in the middle.

Also, the fact that Rennie left BOTH keepers out in the cold for a second time (unprotected in the expansion draft as well) suggests to me: 1) that he doesn't think either is good enough as a starter (I have to agree) and 2) that he can get a real starter signed for next year--Rennie must have someone in the works to be that confident. Otherwise, leaving both keepers unprotected, twice in a row, would be sheer foolishness. Rennie doesn't strike me as someone who's foolish.

20. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Re: International player designation

I'm just asking questions. I'm skeptic because we know that soccer players, more often than not, can decline really quickly in their early to mid-thirties.

Perhaps, but how does the Saudi league compare to MLS?

I wouldn't want him there (although with Salinas gone, we're now quite shallow on the right wing). if LYP is able and willing to play as a RB, with Rochat on the left side, and he performs well at the MLS level, then no complaints from me.

21. *Injektilo

*Injektilo Member

Feb 1, 2008

Just a note on this "if". I have it on good authority (as in, confirmed by someone within the FO) that an announcement will be made soon regarding his arrival here.

22. dehun

dehun Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Salinas traded for a bag of balls and money to sign a real winger--FINALLY!!

Vagenas scattered to the winds--about %#@! time!!

Hello brand-new midfield!

Now, can we get rid of Soehn for a pack of FO staples? (and maybe a stapler?)

23. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I hear Stefan Frei is available. You give TFC Chiumiento, we give you Frei :p

I think Joe Cannon still has something of value, but not at 200k. I wouldn't be surprised if Cannon returns at less salary and back up role to whoever Rennie brings in.

LYP is a bit of fitness freak. Plus he's been running around in Saudi heat last two years, and he looked very good in Asian Cup early this year. He wouldn't be as fast and lost a bit of his athleticism, but he'd still have enough in the tank for another two years.
    LYP is not a winger. He's like Korean Cafu, making overlapping runs from the back and beating defenders 1v1.

I expect Rennie to put out something like this on the back
    Rochat-Mitchell/new CB-DeMerit-Lee

which isn't bad, but that line up does take up a lot of cap space, not leaving much for depth

24. iamalfred

iamalfred Member+

Aug 15, 2010

Here's a odd bit of news for you from over here in Sweden. Anton Hysén claims in this article that he has received a contract offer from your club. He's mostly known over here for having a famous father and brother and coming out as a homosexual. What makes it strange though is that he only plays in the fourth tier of swedish football and I've never really heard anything to suggest that he is of any higher quality then that. So it seems pretty surprising but since the article has quotes from him it seems legit? :confused:

25. whitecrapper

whitecrapper New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

I liked Salinas in Vancouver. When he was on, he easily beat anyone one-on-one even Man City defenders. i don't think you throw a guy like that away. his impact could have been greater but i'm sure defenders were shitting their pants when they found themselves against him with some green to work with.