Whitecaps Roster Thread

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by whiteisthecolour, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011
  2. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Re: Whitecaps 2010 Lineup/Roster thread

So I take it that he's meant to be Rochat's replacement at left back while Rochat goes inside to play centrally in defense or becomes an option for Central Midfield...

as a stop gap I like it, I don't wish to see that be the end game.

Rochat is best suited as a left full back, and has been, imho, our most consistent best player this year.

3. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011

He started 16 games for Philadelphia this year, Philadelphia is 2nd in the east, and like the article said, have only allowed 16 goals in 17 games.

I really don't see how Harvey doesn't start. Rochat, I believe will come inside to CB full time, next to Demerit. Boxall will become a sub.

My opinion of course.

4. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I agree with you 100%

I'm just guessing that Rochat is probably a player with a higher overall skillset and is likely the better player at Left Back, that being said AR is likely more useful to WFC as a central defender right now until a suitable additional guy can come in, or until Demerit is fit 100%

5. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011

Demerit looked incredibly frustrated against TFC, both games, I recognize the look, because it's the look I have on when I look in the mirror after my team quit on me.

I hope someone comes in that will fight for this club. Hassli does, Camilo does, Demerit does. Who else will answer the call?

6. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Harvey will definitely start, or why else make the trade? He's not a great LB but he's decent enough, certainly much better than Blake Wagner who the Whitecaps often play at LB when they have to slide Rochat into the middle.

And Boxall MIGHT become the sub, but so might Janicki. For me, I'd bench Janicki who I don't rate at all, not that I rate Boxall all that high, but I rate him higher than Janicki.

I personally think Rochat is one of the better LBs in the league, and better than Harvey overall, but this trade tells me the Whitecaps FO a) doesn't think much of the centerback depth and b) that Demerit might be out longer than anyone hopes.

I wonder if Harvey will make it to Denver in time for the game this weekend.

7. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011

It's Mustapha Jarju officially as our new DP striker.

8. dewhitecapfan

dewhitecapfan Member

Jul 28, 2008

It said he takes a midfeild role at the international level. Maybe he will be played there, either behind Hassli or paired woth Koffi? Wonder where Chuimento will fit now.

Scoring wasn't our problem with Hassli in the line up, getting the ball to Hassli in a scoring position was.

1 person likes this.
  9. claw hammer

claw hammer Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Club:
    Montreal Impact

Congratulations, looks like the real deal.. if he was 10 yrs older TFC might have been interested. :)

10. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011

I'm thinking 4-4-1-1, with Chum/Teibert, Dunfield, Koffie and Camilo sending the ball to Jarju who provides service to Hassli, or does it on his own.

He'd operate as a support striker, often confused as an AMC.

11. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Look at us vs Portland. we have eerily similar goals for and goals against. It's only been a recent event that Portland has seriously been leaking goals. You have to go back 5 games to see Portlands first game where the leaked only 1 or less goals. their last games have been losses, including conceding: 3 to Seattle, 2 to SKC, 4 to Dallas and 3 to RBNY.

Your midfield of Chum/Teibert, Dunfield, Koffie, Camilo has no teeth and therein lies the problem. The Caps have been surrendering PK's and conceding too many goals. Scoring is one part of the game, defending is the other.

They have the resources to score, even before Jarju.

They need another anchor on Defense and certainly need a box to box midfielder that has some relative quality for this league.

also I see Hassli not really needing a support striker as much as he needs an AMC or Trequartista... I'd prefer to see Hassli with Davide playing 10 yards off his shoulder than Hassli with Harris playing targetman/support Striker.

At this point with little else to lose on the season If I were Soehn, I'd try Salgado on the wing. He's big with great range and can flat out run and dribble.

My Humble $0.02

12. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

i like this signing as he is young, has some scoring pedigree, has played internationally for his country, and has shown he has leadership skills

congrats to the FO and staff for the signing- time will tell if it works, but its a step in the right direction for this year and into the future

need 2 more quality players-- a mf with some pedigree as a creative, good distributor of the ball (maybe some1 older like 28-30) and another central defender who has some pace and reads the game well (relying on de merit is risky with his injury problems)

while it will take time to gel with these signed and potential signings, the caps tail would be UP heading into the second half of the season and 2012

and it gives hope to the supporters that all is not lost this season-- a few wins and the climate around the club changes dramatically

i am not even thinking playoffs, but more for 2012 :)

13. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011

Jarju will be wearing #36 (if anyone cares).

14. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

I am both puzzled and overexcited.

Puzzled: we still need another CM who can play. I think we needed that CM more than another forward.

Overexcited: You mean he has also played CM?! And he can score AND assist??! Does anyone else think this could be a Montero type signing? I am crossing my fingers... Great players, lots of goals, 4 years with the club, big money selling him on in a few years...

15. JohnnyRanger

JohnnyRanger Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

I don't think you sign a guy at 24, and sell him on anywhere at 28 for "big money"

if he was ever going to develop into something special he would likely have already done so, or have shown signs of being special... and he'd certainly have ended up somewhere else in Europe.

Just sayin...;)

16. whitecrapper

whitecrapper New Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

Forget about Salgado for now.

From what I see:

can't beat anyone with speed
    can't beat anyone on the dribble
    can't hold the ball (too weak gets knocked over)
    can't finish
    can't head the ball (he actually ducks away like he's afraid of getting hurt)
    LAZY-he trots around like a star. i think someone needs to put him in his place. get him off the pitch anyway. go play pdl for a few years

17. TheCopperSheik

May 18, 2011
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps

Fantastic Post.

I always said it was ridiculous for the club to have gone to the effort of getting him in the lineup before 18.

They wanted to prove they made a good pick I guess.

He needs a year at a lower level to get his confidence and skills developed.

18. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

If we get him for $0 transfer free, and he improves (as he has over the last 3 seasons) and we sell him to a Championship side for $350,000 in two years, I think that's good money. I think this is a real possibility.

19. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

agree with you-- but here's hoping he can be a good player for the caps and make them more competitive

my gut feeling is that this a good signing

20. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Re: Whitecaps 2010 Lineup/Roster thread [currently: Jarju, Dunfield]

Dunfield is gone....to TFC. Ugh.

Why not let him stay on for the City game?

Another borderline classless move by Caps FO.

I think trading him was the right move, but this organization has a way of doing things that just rankle. The Southsiders south-side price jack; Cascadia ticket jack; Dunfield traded to an arch-rival without giving him a chance to play against City on Monday (even though they originally hyped the City game using the Dunfield angle to promote it!)

21. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011

Not borderline classless, flat-out classless.

His hometown is Vancouver, although he isn't a great player, he surely deserved the opportunity of his career to play against a club like Manchester City (maybe show him the level his play needs to be to be successful).

The trade to Toronto of all places for "allocation money" is stupid. Future considerations is nothing, you don't get any goodwill from "future considerations"

Classless.

This clubs starting to stink like TFC, they just seem to be doing the westcoast version of TFC's stupidity (namely at a much faster pace), anger the fans in the first year, not the 5th year. Fire the coach in the first year, not the 3rd year.

22. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011

Additionally I'm disappointed at the Canadian-content on Vancouver. MLS was at its very inception the initiative of US Soccer to promote soccer AND develop U.S. soccer talent.

Toronto has 9 Canadian players. Vancouver 2, 1 of which will actually play.

The point of MLS in Canada is to make our pathetic NT better, not develop players for Gambia, Tanzania, Cameroon and Ghana's NT's.

23. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

as far as i know, the Caps have 3 designated canadians- rochat, tiebert and davies
    while more would be good for canada, the simple truth is that there are not more players in Canada/even playing with the Caps now capable of helping the Caps be a more competitive team in MLS-- canada, at this time and probably for the next 6-8 years until the 3 MLS teams produce them, does not develop enough players capable of playing higher level soccer
    as a STH, i want a good team, regardless of nationality-- i want to see quality soccer, not the traditional canadian game of kick and run because we lack the skill and pace to do otherwise-- canada usually produces 'lunch-bucket' type of players-- lots of heart, aggression, but little pace, skill and scoring ability

having said that, there are some canadians playing in euro who might help (and will johnson with RSL)-- but TBH, would they really help that much??

dunfield would never be capable of elevating your team-- he came from the 4th tier of english soccer-- but i loved his passion and committment to the caps and the city-- good luck to him, but i am not sure how long he will last with TFC

the Caps need to go 4 higher quality players and i am hoping for another good signing in the next week, a skilled creative mf-- trading dunfield creates more salary cap $$$ and a roster spot-- thats the business of soccer and if we begin to win some games, it will be seen as a necessary move to create a better team

24. canuck51

canuck51 Member

Jan 15, 2007
    Vancouver

Great guy, but there's a reason he was only playing League Two in England...

25. Guarda-Redes

Guarda-Redes Member

Jun 16, 2011

Teibert is definitely not a lunch pail player. Kid is a baller with flair, speed and finesse, that needs to be nurtured.

Atiba Hutchinson to VWFC. That would be a statement.