Whisk(e)y

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by chiladd, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    The only variety of Bruichladdich I've ever had is "Rocks" and I believe it is unpeated.

2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    got a bottle of this for xmas:
    [​IMG]
    Anyone try this yet?
    I have an open bottle of Buffalo trace and one of Makers that I am trying to finish off before of open this one

3. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I have only tried a couple types of Bruichladdich, but there was essentially no peat or iodine to the ones I had. There still was the brine, but it was gentle and there was a bit of honey sweetness.

4. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Here there and everywhere.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I'll have to see if any of my local watering holes has any other expressions than the one I have. The 2003 organic is definitely an Islay but the sweet notes that you (YankHibee) mentioned are much like the taste of the peatier Bruichladdich I have.

The 46 is a damn fine Bourbon in my book. To me it was a lot smoother than Pappy's or the Prophet.

5. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not much of a scotch drinker, but last Christmas I received a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue label, yeah I know it's a blended whiskey and not a single malt, but I was impressed by the smoothness of it. Needless to say my wife, drank about two thirds of the bottle on me. :D

6. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Got this from the wife as part of my 40th birthday present.

[​IMG]

7. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Decided to bring in the new year with something different for me. When the guy at Specs saw me approaching the register with something other than scotch, he thought the world was about to end.:D

[​IMG]

8. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    There's nothing wrong with a nice blend. I drink a lot of single malt but I always have a bottle of Chivas Regal in the cabinet as well.

9. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    How does it compare to standard Prophet?

10. AnxietyCoachJohn

AnxietyCoachJohn Red Card

Nov 23, 2010
    Santa Monica,CA
    wine or whiskey... people has different taste buds .. they don't have same brand of wine .... I don't drink whiskey i don't like the taste of it :D

11. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Being that I'm not normally a bourbon drinker I'll do my best to compare them. The 18 I found to be sweeter and thicker, definitely something to enjoy neat with maybe a couple of ice cubes. The 12 from what I can recall was a bit harsh (probably the alcohol) and had a more defined rye taste. The 18 y/o prophet is definitely one that will be stocked in my bar.

12. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had this last night:

[​IMG]

From King's County Distillery, just a few blocks from where I live in Brooklyn. It's a corn whiskey.

It kind of sucked.

13. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    It should, it's a gimmick to sell really cheap product. The only way corn whiskey is good is when it is cheap, high proof, and flavored at home. Even then it is usually a gimmick, and I've had shine from the best counties.

14. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've had this one and enjoyed it quite a lot:

[​IMG]

15. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    That's the commercial one I have seen the most. I didn't enjoy it, but if you did then you might really like real shine.

16. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Rowan's Creek Bourban. I finally found it in a local liquor store and picked up a bottle. It is just as good as I remembered it. Had it two years ago in a London restaurant and up til now couldnt find it in the US.

My new favorite.

17. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I've heard really good things about it from my bourbon buddy. Apparently a very limited hand production makes it hard to come by but when found it's usually at a reasonable price unlike Van Winkle's.

18. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Bourbon is not a big thing over here at all. Quite a lot of it gets drunk, but I would say that in 99 out of 100 drinks it's part of a bourbon and coke.

You'd probably get funny looks if you drank bourbon neat... if you're going to have a whisky it's inevitably scotch.

19. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I used to think that same way about bourbon. Lately however I've been exposed to some really good bourbon that quite honestly I find tastier than some of the Highland and Speysides I've tried. Garbage though next to a Laphroaig;)

20. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Oh, I'm not saying it's bad... just that we're not exposed to that sort of mindset over here. Bourbon is assumed to be for mixing, like vodka. As a result few bars stock more than your standard bottle of Cougar, then probably another American whisky like JDs.

21. Moishe

Moishe Moderator
    Staff Member

Boca Juniors
    Argentina
    Mar 6, 2005
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Oh I used to be one of those people that couldn't fathom drinking bourbon without coke or ginger ale but thanks to a fellow alcoholist I had my eyes opened. It's good but again I'd prefer the peat.

22. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny, I started on bourbon neat. Used to not care much for scotch. But now I drink mostly scotch and have largely lost my taste for bourbon, even the really good ones. They're so sweet.

23. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in love.

As are you.