Whisk(e)y

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by chiladd, Jan 28, 2006.

1. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    The effect of decantering like that is really just the alcohol percentage dropping slightly. The whiskey is not going to age after taken out of the barrel. Single malts are often best enjoyed by adding a bit of room temp water, so as to allow the flavor to come out, but not change the taste by altering the temp of the drink. Often said about Scotch is, I like my whiskey cut eveningly with water, and I like a alot of water.

2. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I find if you take it with a bit of ice you get the same result.

3. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

I have heard that before....but I used decantering very successfully on taste tastes. Everyone in my party chose decantered 12 year Glen Livet over a new bottle of 18 year Glen Livet.....and decantered Tres Generaciones Anejo over the much more expensive Reserva Jose Cuervo.

4. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Can't stand the stuff myself (I know, I'm a philistine) - I did, however buy a bottle of Ardbeg for my step-father for Christmas. He likes a single malt and has a decent selection - I'm not sure whther he was being polite but he did say it was rather nice.
    Anybody else tried it?
    http://www.ardbeg.com/

5. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Ardbeg is one of my favorites. It is generally one that is appreciated more by experienced Scotch drinkers.

6. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

That isn't surprising about the Glen Livet. Often people mistake price for quality. Check out one of Michael Jackson's (no, not that one, we're talking about whiskey, not boys) tasting guides--often those that are especially old, rare, or expensive are not rated that highly. It's as much a marketing ploy as anything.

7. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!
    Does anybody know a place in L.A. to get lesser known Single Malt Scotch's? I think I might have to go shopping soon.

Even better....whats the best place to do a Scotch tasting in L.A? (small servings of a lot of Scotches with a knowledgeable pourer...that wont set me into bankruptcy)

8. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got this bottle as a belated Christmas gift:

[​IMG]

Just wanted to brag.

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not really a fan or Scotch but I do enjoy bourbon. at the moment I have bottles of Maker's mark, Woodford Reserve and Bookers in my booze cabinet

10. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Oban is good. On Christmas, we also got a bottle of Dewar's 12-year, which is one of my favorite blends. A big ole bottle too.

Also, my folks got us this:

[​IMG]

I hadn't really thought of it before, but I may have given my family the impression that I'm an alcoholic.

At least I'm easy to shop for.

11. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Look, if it's alcoholism then you're not an alcoholic, you're an alcoholist. It's belief system, an ethos, with its own social tenets and mores. As evidenced by the Hymn to Ninkasi, the belief of the Alcoholist is as old as any historical system. We refer to our liquors as "spirits," and use Latin to praise alcohol's truth giving effects. Become inspired, fill yourself with the truth, and take pride in your belief.

12. Demosthenes

Demosthenes Member+

May 12, 2003
    Berkeley, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These bourbons are all made by the same company:

[​IMG]

They're all very fine. My favorite of the bunch is Knob Creek.

But overall, as bourbons go I prefer Woodford Reserve.

13. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    For everyday drinking, I'd take Knob Creek outta those. Basil Hayden's is good, but I've never developed much of a taste for it. Bookers I recommend on a fall night around a campfire and mixed with warm unfiltered apple cider if you're the type to drink hot whiskey drinks. For benders keep an eye out for Old Grandad 114.

14. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For benders I recommend Jameson. For tailgating, I'd recommend Jameson. If you're on a budget, try Jameson. If you want to get yourself warmed up for dinner, I'd go with Jameson. If you need something to help your digestion, Jameson's probably what you need.

Hair of the dog? How about a nice, smooth Jameson. Open bar? Jameson. At a wake? The dearly departed will envy you your Jameson.

Sure, I drink other stuff. But when I do, I close my eyes and pretend it's Jameson.

15. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    The kickin' chicken whooped my ass on Saturday.

16. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    For the experienced Scotch-o-philes among us I would highly recommend Aberlour Abun’adh. It is delicious cask strength single malt. I usually take it with a 1 to 3 ratio of room temperature spring water (flat) to scotch.

For the person who recommended putting ice in scotch…for shame. The are only two ways to properly drink a scotch: neat or with water. The cold of the ice will ruin your palate.

17. Friedel'sAccent

Friedel'sAccent Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Providence, RI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been wanting to try the A'bunadh for a while, but I've been on an Islay kick for a few months. Have you tried it without water?

18. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yes, but the high alcohol content overpowers your palatte. It is cask strength, IE aroun 60% rather than the typical 40~45%.

If you like Islay I would highly recommend that you try Laphroiag 10yr cask strength. It is delicious, very peaty.

19. Jam Econo

Jam Econo Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Left of the 405
    On the westside: The Daily Pint in Santa Monica (on Pico just east of SM College) is a bar with a pretty extensive single malt collection. They have a decent beer list too.

If you're looking to buy a bottle, try Beverage Warehouse (Marina del Rey) or Wine House (West LA).

20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    [​IMG]

Bunnahabhain 12 year old is my regular whisky of choice. It's a single Islay malt. Anyone else tried it?

21. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Been a while since I had it...I recall it having a brandy-ish taste a bit different than anything else. I think many people are afraid to order it for fear of mangling the name.

22. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I haven't, if the price is right I will pick up a bottle on my next trip to the liquor store and try it.

How peaty would you say it is? More or less than Laphroig.

23. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Significantly less, but then nearly everything is less peaty than Laphraoig.

24. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Bopper(o)

I had some of this bourbon around Christmas. Tasted great. I went and drank that bad boy in a few days. The memories are warm and fuzzy, add to that I fell in love with a woman. So I highly recommend it.

[​IMG]