Whisk(e)y

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by chiladd, Jan 28, 2006.

1. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    it quite simply proves the existence of a higher.whether it is a cheap bottle of Evan Williams or a 30 year old Laphroigh.The sweet corn taste with that Oak bite and "fire" after taste of a cheap bourbon (the best bourbon) or the rich complexity but smoothness of a fine scotch or Irish.

heck, even bad whisky has its place (you need something to make pop taste drinkable)

never trust a man who doesnt drink it.

[​IMG]

so whats everyone favorite lets do $(under $15) $$ (15-30) $$$ (30-60) $$$$ (60-100) and then your dream bottle, the one that someday you'll buy, or you have stashed for when the mortgage is paid off and the kids college tuition is done with.

Mine
    $ Evan Williams
    $$ Jim Beam
    $$$ Bushmills 16
    $$$$ Bowmore 16
    dream bottle Laphroaig 30yrs (never actually had a sip of it , its getting pretty rare and the price is shooting up )

2. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    oh and Cardhu aint that bad either(bottle in the pic, a speyside)

3. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!
    Best Whiskey for the $:

[​IMG]

At 62.5% Alcohol (125 Proof)....this is an incredibly smooth whiskey with a delicate, sweet boquet, very spicy on the pallet and a smooth, lingering finish. At < $50 it is one of the very, very best spirits $ for $. At any price....it doesn't get much better than Booker's.

4. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Mine
    $ Shine
    $$ Good Shine
    $$$ Elijah Craig
    $$$$ Distiller's Edition Lagavulin
    dream bottle probably the Lagavulin. I've been fortunate to have had the oportunity to try just about everything.

5. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Generally I drink Elijah Craig, Knob Creek, Old Granddad 114, Bookers, Bulleit, Woodford Reserve (now my mouth is watering), 1794, and, of course, the kickin' chicken Wild Turkey

6. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I usually drink Jim Beam by the gallon. Best combination of quality and price IMO. Once in awhile I'll spring for good old Jack.

Also a big Jameson fan.

7. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know jack shit. I drink Southern Comfort and Jack Daniels.

8. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
    I don't like whiskey...

9. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
    Honestly, I find it strange to have a thread that's rating bourbon and Scotch on the same grounds.

10. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Indeed, I would only class Whisk(e)y as a drink from either Scotland or Ireland.

I personally only drink Jon, Mark and Robbo's

11. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
    That wasn't my point. I absolutely love bourbon. It is a gorious style of whiskey.

I just don't think it makes sense to compare it with Scotch whiskeys. They're just too different.

12. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    where did anyone put the variations on the same ground???
    I think its more about whats your favorite whiskey at price levels more then comparing the different styles.
    I dont think anywhere in my post did i make comparisons.If Im going to spend less then $30 Im going for a bourbon, for higher prices ill take irish or scotch.

since IMO one can get a good bottle of Bourbon or Tennessee whiskey for $30 at most I usually stick with US whiskeys for my standard fair.

13. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

Actually....under $30, there are dozens of great single barrel Scotch whiskey's including 12 year old Glenlivets & MacAllens. The only bourbon under $30 I touch is Knob Creek....the rest I have tried are not worth drinking neat.

14. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis

Then you need to try Elijah Craig, we affectionately refer to as the Prophet--if it doesn't make you see the truth, it sure makes you think you do.

15. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

So you think it is better than a 12 year old Glen Livet?

16. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
    Prices on bourbon vary greatly from state to state, so it's hard for me to know what costs what where.

I will say that some mid-priced (relative) bourbons that I love include:
    - Knob Creek
    - Woodford Reserve
    - Elijah Craig
    - Russel's (I just got my first bottle of this)
    - Bulleit
    - Buffalo Trace

In my state (a relatively expensve state for liquor), I can get all of those for between $28 and $40.

17. tog

tog Member

Oct 25, 2000
    Seattle
    It's bourbon, not Scotch.

18. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

At my Trader Joe's...Knob Creek is $20....and worth every single penny. In fact, I think it is by far the best spirit you can get for around $20. I will look around for Elijah Craig.

19. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

I know....the spirit of my analysis...is that for $30 I would normally pick a Glen Livet over a Bourbon.

20. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No mention of Jameson whiskey? That's bad, is that a crap whiskey? I like it, but I'm no expert.

[​IMG]

21. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Not a fan of Jameson, myself.... I can't put my fingeron it, but there is something not quite right abotu Jameson, imo (especially that little burning area at the top of your stomach the next day).

22. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Depends on what you're looking for. I have single malts, blended scotches, whiskey, and bourbon in my bar. Each is a difference experience.

23. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti
    I enjoy Glenfiddich Single Malt,

Usually when I do plan on drinking some Whisky I'll pick up a bottle of Johnny Black

At one point in my life I did have the pleasure of drinking a Johnny Blue, what a delite..

24. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    I've had some Macallan 25. Now that stuff is smooooooth. My employer once made the mistake of having open bar at an event with a bottle of Macallan 18. Sucker.

25. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!

I have a bottle of Macallan 18....not that impressed (for what I paid). Maybe if it was uncut....I might think more of the additional aging. But its not really worth it.

Besides, I have found that if you decanter any decent whiskey or tequila at home for about a year...it smooths out incredible well, without having the flavors diluted by excessive barrel aging (at some point the oak just kills any of its mash or agave charecteristics...and it all starts tasting like overrated, overpriced Cognac)