Which Ranking Will Win Out in Brazil: FIFA, ELO, or SPI?

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by Iranian Monitor, Jan 11, 2014.

1. TigersOfAsia

TigersOfAsia Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Canada
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    IM, just one thing.
    In 2002 had Iran not tied against Thailand (The team the Saudi's beat) and Bahrain, Iran would have qualified directly. (I'm not counting the draw vs Saudi Arabia because it was controversial?) So in my eyes, only Iran was to blame for not qualifying with arguably the strongest side in Asia at that time.

2. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Yes, the draw against Thailand in Bangkok proved costly, but no the draw against Saudi Arabia in Saudi Arabia (we beat them in Tehran 2:0) wasn't controversial. We didn't qualify in 2002 ultimately because we didn't earn the points. The main culprit is definitely Iran. But sometimes the math and how the points add up doesn't really tell you everything either. Just because a team slips in one match, you can't ignore its entire record for the preceding 4 years.

3. Iranfootie

Iranfootie Member

Dec 20, 2006
    Great post. But I would have added Belgium to your top tier list (this year only). I saw Belgium play the US a while back and I was rather impressed. So while historically Belgium has been a team that TM could plausibly beat, I am sure that our chances would be close to zero against THIS Belgium team. I agree that South Korea and Australia should be in the top 50...especially considering their WC record!

How did we help screw Asian team's chances in 2002? We weren't even in the tournament to do anything. But yes, Saudi Arabia losing 8-0 and China 4-0 didn't help matters...

Can you expand on that? (not sensible in practice while sensible on paper...referring to the Asian qualifying system)

As far as the region, God gave us the region we live in. And we live in a region of Arab countries. We can either go the Israeli route and play in UEFA or we can stay in AFC and play Arab teams with possibly Arab officials. Going the Israeli route would also better allow testing of your hypothesis of whether Iran could qualify as frequently (or actually more) if Iran moves to UEFA since your thesis is that UEFA is overrepresented and AFC is underrepresented.

Couldn't agree with you you more on Bahrain's display in 2002. That wasn't even the most recent obvious case of corruption...just look at the Uzbekistan-Qatar score (matched perfectly with allowing Uzbekistan to directly qualifyin the event of a Iran-Korea draw...which very well easily could have happened!). And that was a very good TM. Hey, we held our own against Ireland who had a great World Cup that year. I was rooting for Germany too ( I root for any team playing Saudi Arabia) but yes those results definitely hurt Asian football but at the same time those results by themselves are not the sole reason Asia gets the same number of spots as a continent with 10 countries.

4. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Since World Cup 2014 is pretty much over, we an revisit this thread to see which ranking system did better to predict the results in this tournament?

When it came to Group A, ELO and SPI got the order right; FIFA didn't even if they all were right that Cameroon was the weakest in that group.

In Group B, all got Spain wrong! ELO and FIFA would have picked Holland while SPI did not. All got Australia correctly as the team to finish last.

In Group C, ELO and FIFA got it right. While all were right that Japan would finish last, SPI had rated CIV above Greece.

In Group D, all were wrong about Costa Rica. Completely wrong: instead of finishing last, Costa Rica finished 1st in the group! The other team that ultimately advanced from this group was Uruguay which gives the advantage to FIFA and SPI.

In Group E, ELO got it all right. FIFA got the order between France and Switzerland wrong. SPI had Ecuador advancing which was wrong. They were all right about Honduras finishing last.

In Group F, all of the rankings were kind of wrong picking Bosnia as the team to join Argentina in the next round although referee issues certainly played a role in that error. FIFA had Nigeria last while ELO had them last at the time this thread was stated but I believe had moved to right above Iran. All in all, SPI and ELO did better than FIFA, although frankly ELO IMO was the one that gave the most accurate impression of this group.

In Group G, deserving Ghana was correctly picked by all to finish last. They all correctly picked Germany to finish first. All got Portugal over the US, whcih was wrong.

In Group H, FIFA was closest to how things turned out. They had South Korea last (correct) and Belgium first (correct), although they had Russia second and Algeria third while Algeria actually finished 2nd and Russia finished third. SPI correctly picked Belgium first but totally missed Algeria, having them finish last. ELO was the worse in this group as it almost got it all wrong, picking Russia first, Belgium 2nd, S.Korea 3rd and Algeria last.

All in all, the results IMO actually vindicated FIFA and ELO but didn't look good for SPI. All of them of course got some way wrong (Spain and Costa Rica), but in the light of all we know, FIFA had actually done alright. Their ranking of Switzerland and Portugal and Nigeria their biggest failing otherwise. The rest (including some they were all alone such as picking Brazil as barely top 10 and Algeria as in the 20s as opposed to much lower according to ELO and SPI) were more or less within range of what they had said. ELO did alright too but SPI showed that fiddling with what you get from actual results by factoring in subjective criteria such as "talent" and the rest actually weakens the rankings.

Conifeertje, 19Scirea82 and Tukafo repped this.
  5. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Good post, great analysis. One point though - did any ranking really got Spain wrong? I mean since nobody can look into the future any ranking system can only ever be based on results from the past. And Spain's results in the years before the World Cup were exceptional so it really isn't wrong to rate Spain so highly before the Cup started

6. 19Scirea82

19Scirea82 Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    if you are indeed a super eagles fan, i can only assume you saw the friendly between nigeria x greece, some 10 days before the WC.

despite the 0x0, i thought it a fairly cracking match for a friendly, plenty of good football and good chances for each side.

i realize and don't expect you to know the greece side more than a club side from azerbaijan, but i would think that greece did well against an IC in an all or nothing match and a japan that played with a man advantage for over 60 minutes.

i thought greece did not play to it's potential (poor manager/superior players on the bench) and still made a R16.

7. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suggest you come up with some type of point system for correct picks and location in group. I ended up with FIFA doing the best, then SPI, then ELO.

8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Interesting, since while I got the impression that FIFA did best, I felt ELO did better than SPI. I will try to use a point system to see how it works out for me, but in the meantime, can you share the point system you used? I like to see how they did in your point system.

9. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    There are two issues with regard to the rankings. First, whether they did a reasonable job translating the results of the various sides? I agree in that sense no one got Spain wrong. Spain's results justified its ranking. The other issue, however, is to what extent these rankings accurately predict the future? In that sense, with respect to Spain, all got it wrong. But your overall point is still quite valid; there was no basis to rank Spain much lower than they had been ranked before World Cup 2014 got underway.

Tukafo repped this.
  10. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #35 themightymagyar, Jul 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
    I used 2 points for correct position of a team, 1 point if the team was off by one position, -1 points if the team was off by two positions, and -2 points if the team was off by three positions. By using this method the rankings were all fairly close anyway. FIFA only had one more point than SPI, which only had one more point than ELO.

Edit: I will say statistics aren't exactly my strong suit, so there's probably a better point system to use.

11. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Thanks. I don't think there is a perfect point system, but here is one that I suggest would be helpful for this exercise:

2 points for getting a team's position in the standings right;
    1 additional points for correctly predicting a team to either advance or not advance from its group.

12. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought about points for advancement, but decided I was more interested in how the rankings were in relation to the teams in the group. Which meant positioning was more important. Rather than handing out bonus points if a team ended first or second, just because the rankings predicted one of those. Plus that system doesn't take into account how far off a ranking was.

13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I have to actually think more about the issue. You might have a valid point about not double counting whether a ranking correctly predicted a team advancing or not.

14. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I'm not sure what the best method would be. But I do know if we're comparing accuracy of ranking systems, then the bottom two teams are just as important as the top two.

15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    True, but I had mentioned giving 2 points for correctly predicting whether a side would advance (i.e., finish 1st or 2nd), or alternatively not advance (i.e., finish 3rd or 4th). It was not points for just predicting those who advanced. The difference here is basically treating correctly predicting a team finishing 3rd as opposed to 4th less important than correctly predicting that team finishing say 2nd as opposed to 3rd.

16. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like I missed that part. But if we're trying to determine the accuracy of a ranking system then only the outcome in relation to the original prediction should matter. The difference between 3rd and 4th should be just as important as the difference between 2nd and 3rd, unless you were originally just trying to predict what teams would advance.

17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I think the way teams play makes advancing or not advancing more significant than finishing 3rd or 4th. That affects their tactics and is particularly significant in how the games are played and how much meaning is attached to them when it comes to the last group stage games. A team which must win a match to advance might play differently against an already eliminated team if its objective is to advance as opposed to if its objective was place 3rd or 4th in the group.

However, as I tried to figure out the numbers, I realized that it actually is very important to award negative points as you had suggested. Otherwise, a ranking like SPI would get a lot more points for predicting Group B than either FIFA or ELO in my point system despite the fact that SPI had the group winner (Holland) finish 3rd while ELO rand FIFA had Holland 2nd and Chile 3rd. (They all had Spain 1st). Without negative point, the fact that Chile finished second would give SPI a lot of points while the fact that FIFA and ELO picked Holland 2nd would get them no points in comparison to SPI who had them 3rd.

Put differently, intuitively, I would say FIFA and ELO were more accurate predicting 1- Spain 2- Holland 3- Chile 4- Australia compared to SPI which predicted 1-Spain 2-Chile 3- Holland 4- Australia. But SPI actually gets more points without negative points being awarded for getting a team very wrong.

18. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For each ranking and group, you could calculate the correlation between predicted ranking and actual ranking. Then you could add up the eight correlations for each ranking system.

@Iranian Monitor
    The FIFA Rankings don't update during the World Cup, but ELO does and I don't know about SPI. Can you post the predicted standings for each group according to ELO and SPI?

19. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran