Which league produces the best quality footballers per captia?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Real Corona, Apr 2, 2012.

1. sXeWesley

sXeWesley Member+

Jun 18, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

2. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    With all respect to Uruguay's results, how many truly great players did they produce in the last decades compared to the Netherlands?

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got Suarez, Forlan, Lugano, Maxi Pereira, Cavani and Gargano off the top of my head.

That's pretty good for a country of what, they said 3 million.

4. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    That's what I said, but is it more impressive than what the Netherlands accomplish with 5 times more population?

Van Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard, Bergkamp, Van Nistelrooy, Seedorf, Davids, Sneijder, Robben, Van Persie etc.

Also that's a generous use of the word 'great' player.

5. The second part of your question was where you would want to sent your/or go to as a 15 year old to to learn the game.

In this weeks issue of the Dutch sports magazine Steve McLaren, coach of FC Twente, talks about the Dutch way of coaching young players.
    Steve McLaren said in that interview, that he once asked a youth player how he would take on the team of that day. The player started to move the magnets around on the board and talked for 20 minutes about the tactical issues. Steve told the re[porter he was amazed and asked the player how he did know all this. The kid said that he was taught this from eleven years old. At eleven years old already, Steve said in amazement, English players have no clue about tactics like the Dutch.

So it should over here, and not at 15 but at eleven. Just as Jonathan de Guzman from Canada did.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    15 was a random number, probably should have said 18 since that's when international transfers are permitted.

7. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Maxi Pereira a great player? You're being REALLY generous about your definition of great.

8. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    He's only limiting to this generation, whereas you're talking of the past 25 years. You would have to add Francescoli, Recoba, Montero, Fonseca to the list.

9. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Other than Francescoli, you've still not got any truly great players.
    This is not intended as a slight at Uruguay in any way, it just depends on how you want to look at the original question. Are we looking at who produces the most elite players, or who produces the most good / very good players?
    If it's the former, I don't think you can include Uruguay over recent years. If it's the latter they have to be to the forefront of any discussion.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The main reason Holland is even mentioned in this thread alongside Uruguay is the country's connection to Surinam. That allowed Holland to have a mix of both Brazil and Germany in their playing style and gene pool.

I realize that guys like Seedorf, Rijkaard, Gullit, Davids etc. were products of the Ajax acedemy, and that some were even born in Holland, but Surinam provided the roots or basic parts without which the Oranje factory wouldn't have had as much to work with.
    I guess you could say that about any country, but Holland's connection with Surinam is a lot more current than, say, Uruguay's Spanish and Italian influence.

11. atomicbloke

atomicbloke Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Ahh... this is not going to go down well :D

12. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Interesting discussion from the Dutch supporters but lets pit it another way do Holland produce half the great players Argentina does?

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take the current Dutch team over the Argentines.

Argentina has a great stable of forwards and of course Leo Messi, but their midfielders and defenders are pretty average by world standards.

If you made a starting 11 of players from both teams over the last decade how would it look?

14. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Francescoli and Recoba at the very least, though Montero should be there as well, one of the premier defenders for Serie A during the nineties. Also, the Dutch have five times the population of Uruguay.

Wow, must be the first time in a long time you make a post with some balls! By the way, Surinam is in South America, isn't it?:D

Looking at the current generation, for first-rank creative players.

Netherlands: Robben, Sneijder, Van Persie, Kuyt
    Argentina: Messi, Aguero, Tevez, DiMaria, Higuain, Lavezzi, Pastore

So, being generous and saying Kuyt is first-rate, the Dutch do barely manage it. (By the way, I think Martinez from the local league is also up there with the others).

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

17. la saeta rubia

Aug 1, 2010
    Argentina/España
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    This is all a divergence from the question which country produces the most high quality players per capita.
    That nobody mentions Riquelme,Braña,Erviti,Augusto Fernandez or the latest young stars such as Ocampos,Dybala or Cirigliano emphasizes that some arguments are very one sided.

18. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    You've got some typically bizarre selections in here.

I mean how is Huntelaar not included? How is Van der Vaart not included? If you are going to include Kuyt, then they are both far superior.

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Historical awareness is not your forte. Holland plays the way it does thanks to the revolution brought about by Rinus Michels and to a lesser extent Johan Cruyff in the late 1960s. You might want to check what the Surinamese influence was on the successful Dutch club teams and indeed the Dutch national teams in the 1970s (hint: it's zero).

I won't even go into your gene pool argument as things might turn nasty if I do.

20. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

21. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    Never mind the fact they reached two WC finals without any Surinam players on the squad? :D

22. joaommx

joaommx Member+

Sep 27, 2009
    Lisboa
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So what dude? It's part of who they are, isn't it?

23. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    No, I think the reason Pekerman didn't use that lineup is that he actually is a football coach.

24. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    It was Kuyt the one starting for Holland at the WC. Huntelaar is very mediocre, no way he is superior to Kuyt, who has made a successful career at a club of the stature of Liverpool.

I think he meant post-70s, after the "Total Football" generation aged.

LOL, touche.

25. Mmmm, I realize that you arenot aware that the great football started in Holland in the 1960's and that the by Maradona called best team ever the 1974 Orange squad and the in that period European cup dominating clubs Ajax and Feyenoord were all white. So what's your point?