Which group is the Group of death

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by puertorricane, Dec 6, 2013.

?

Group of death

1. Group B Spain, Holland, Chile, Australia

44 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. Group D Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy

32 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Group G Germany, USA, Portugal, Ghana

80 vote(s)
    51.3%
  1. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There are some tough groups at the world cup I cant see one easy group but these three groups I think are the toughest. Which one in your opinion is the toughest and more deserving of being called the group of death.

[]__[]

2. Rana catesbeiana

Mar 11, 2008
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Those three you mentioned are more or less the toughest on paper at this point I think, but there is not a single group that is notably harder than the rest.

However, given that the runner-up of group B is likely (though obv not guaranteed) to meet Brazil in the R16, the group B is very tough. By same logic, group D's R16 opponents (for both the winner and the runner-up) are a step easier, same perhaps for group G.

So, given the looming Brazil in the round of 16 and the inclusion of both of the 2010 finalists, a very dangerous Chile and not-automatically-losing Australia, I would have to say group B is the group of death. But D and G are easily worth that title as well.

Three groups of death instead of one, I guess. (Balanced out by a few "easier" groups).

BocaFan repped this.
  3. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    All 3 of those groups are very tough.

Group B and D have 3 favorites to advance and one "weak" team that don't have realistic chances of making the second round

Group G - All teams made it to the second round of the last WC which gives them some experience. Germany is a powerhouse, Portugal made it to the semi's in the last Euro with the same team but struggled in qualifiers, Ghana has a very strong team and USA is a CONCACAF powerhouse.

I'm going to go with Group G.

4. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Group D

Uruguay, England, and Italy are all great teams.

Costa Rica I feel is being undervalued. I'n not sure if it was just form but they played fantastic during the hex. Watch them take points and play spoiler in 2014.

Kot Matroskin and canis repped this.
  5. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The hardest to get out of group is B. Switch Chile with any other team and that teams chances of making it diminish in this group, as opposed to others. Plus the WC finalists.

The most even is probably G.

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  6. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Group G is the group of death , clearly ...

Portugal is always in the group of death it seems

whatever teams have to face against the greatest footballer of all time, CR7... is what makes it a group of death..

yes its a group of death.. but mostly for Ghana and USA.

7. palynka

palynka Member

Jun 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    All very tough but I have to go with B, with G a close second.

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  8. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't see how its not Group G. Germany is one of the favorites to win the World Cup. Portugal has the best player on the planet who can carry them past more talented teams. USA and Ghana are powerhouses in two of the weaker footballing regions, but still capable of getting a result against anyone and getting out of the group. G has the most depth, B is the most top heavy and D is a mix of both. I personally think G is the GOD, but that may be because of a bias.

9. NickyClee'sClickyKnee

Oct 21, 2013
    Manchester, UK
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Group D, well, at least from Costa Rica's perspective.

10. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    G for me is cloaw second. Like i said, any team would have less chances of making it in group b. Chile has better chances in group G, usa and ghana have less chances in B.

11. Sebastian Puerta Villegas

Oct 30, 2013
    Cali, Colombia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I feel all groups in the WC are extremely competitive excluding Argentina's group (Iran, Nigeria, Bosnia) with no disrespect to the other teams but it's definitely the weakest of the 8, no doubt Bosnia has it's reference players and Nigeria is a tough African team but still the weakest of the 8.

As far as the group of death you could argue Group D which counts with 3 WC winners and Costa Rica, modest but it's soccer at the end of the day, they could complicate them, maybe. I would also argue Group B, two previous finalist and Chile an extremely dangerous team specialty in a WC in South America then also Australia, like Costa Rica, modest but you never know, they made it into the round of 16 in 2006. Doubt it will happen again but it's soccer. With no disrespect of course.

The real Death group I feel is G. Ridiculous how that group ended up. I honestly see chances for all 4 teams making it into the next round. USA always brings a fight and they've been building up to a spot in the round of 16 in previous WC. Finalist in the Confed cup in 2009, USA is a contender in the group along with the rest, don't have to talk about Germany obvious power house, Portugal with CR7 and the rest of the squad which is great and I think will rise to occasion.

Not a Death group per say but the most EVEN group of the WC is C (Colombia,Greece,Japan,Ivory Coast) cant wait to see it develop.

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    First let's DEFINE the term : DEATH

1- Group consists of more than 2 strongest teams? (strong group)
    2- Group consists of 3,4 same level of quality teams? (competitive group)

IN category 1: Group B and G are called group of death
    But in category 2: Group D, E, F ... would all qualified

13. Bonus_Game

Bonus_Game Member

Sep 30, 2007
    San Francisco
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 teams do not make a group of death. Therefore it is unquestionably group G

14. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    for me it is D , 3 world cup winners are competing each other.

jerrito repped this.
  15. jimmi_moh

jimmi_moh Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    for me it is D , 3 world cup winners are competing each other.

16. masum

masum Member

Sep 3, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hard to pick between group B and D, i think group B is the most toughest among these three.

17. Athazagoraphobia

Jul 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    As you and I have seen though, Costa Rica isn't a pushover. Of course, people from other confederations will think that they're an Iran but anyone who's watched the CONCACAF hex knows that they've got momentum.

3 strong WC teams + a decent team = the GOD imo (even if Costa Rica only has an outside chance of going through).

In group G, anything other than Germany, Portugal would be seen as a surprise, relatively speaking. Would you call that the group of death?

18. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    huh? do you know the rule ? two out of 4 will get out of the gorup! So 3 are "enough" to be called group of DEATH ... oK? Very very RARE that one could see a group consisting of 4 great teams !!!

19. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006

No offence , but I think Chile is perhaps the most overrated team in this WC, along with Belgium of course. I don't see where all this Chile hype is coming from. Because they beat an understrength England ?

I'm pretty sure Chile will actually exit after 3 games. They just don't have the overall squad strength of Holland. They have a few superstar players but overall the team is not as good as everybody is making them out to be.

I don't think Chile is a better team than Ghana. They have yet to prove it, and I just don't see it tbh. Group G easily over B. Any time they came across a good team in 2010 they lost. Got knocked out of the copa by Venezuela. I'm talking about tournament games by the way, not friendlies or qualifiers which are all over the place.

20. JAIME CHILE

JAIME CHILE Member+

Apr 26, 2006
    V.Alemana y Stgo
    Club:
    Cobreloa Calama
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Obviously the group B is the group of death (Chile, Spain, Netherlands and Australia). Chile could finish 1rst or 2nd if we play like we did it this year (official and friendly matches).

D and G and tough groups, but in D Italy and Uruguay are favourites, and in G Germany and Portugal are the favourites.

21. Yañez

Yañez Member+

Oct 11, 2005
    Santiago, Llolleo
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Holland Spain and Chile are more than Uruguay England and Italy as a whole.

JAIME CHILE repped this.
  22. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    The worst GOD ever has to be 1982 2nd round
    Brazil
    Italy
    Argentina
    with only 1 country advancing to the sf.

jerrito repped this.
  23. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Has to be be group D as Italy England and Uruguay have a combined 7 WCs
    where as Germany and Portugal are clear favourites, same with Spain Holland.
    in this case 1 of the following will not be be in the r16: England, Italy or Uruguay (all 3 are contenders to win the WC)

24. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Where as Chile or USA are nowhere near being contenders

25. ITALIA1982

ITALIA1982 Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    To put it simply: is Chile or USA more of a contender than England ?
    The clear answer in NO !