Which CONCACAF Teams Do You See Qualifying- Brazil 2014

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Terry Gyimah, May 22, 2010.

1. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    1) Mexico- Because it is just not a FIFA World Cup without Mexico, as they are one of the big teams in CONCACAF and it is hard or impossible to even contemplate a FIFA World Cup without them being there. As Mexico by 2014 will have great players like Vela, dos Santos, Ochoa, Zinha, Bravo, etc. to build around, and with the right coach and their style of play being similar to CONMEBOL teams like Brazil & Argentina, I see Mexico this next time around qualifying for Brazil 2014 first place in the group.

2) USA- Because they have amazing youth players coming into their team, not only that but their youth system is growing, and more players playing in the domestic league MLS, and with a team that will be centered around players like Altidore, Davies, Bradley, etc., they should surely qualify for South Africa no problem

3) Trinidad & Tobago- After missing out on 2010 in South Africa, I am sure that is going to be the catalyst that drives them to qualify for Brazil 2014, and I believe this time around all their players will be healthy enough, that they can play up to that level like how they did in 2006, if they can do that, T & T will qualify for Brazil 2014.

4) Jamaica- I really really really really hope and pray that the Reggae Boyz of Jamaica qualify for Brazil 2014, their first World Cup since 1998 where they qualified for France 1998, and they will be back on the world stage, really hope so, as I love the Reggae Boyz and I want to see how they can handle themselves against the teams of now

2. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    It also depends on how many births FIFA slots us, but the US and Mexico would be the only surefire shots to make it. Our region has become much more competitive as of late.

3. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA, Mexico, Honduras/Costa Rica. USA and Mexico for sure. Either Honduras or Costa will finish third. USA and Mexico are the top tier. Honduras and Costa Rica are the next tier. After that there is a pretty big drop off. No way two teams from the Caribbean will ever qualify at the same time.

4. Skadrist

Skadrist Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    El Norte
    I think Mexico will probably be first in the next cycle's qualification. The US will qualify out either second or third in the group. Bold prediction I know but here is wjy I think it could happen. The US will have to contend with an aging back line come the next WCQs and there will still be plenty of question marks with their forwards to boot. With the performance of Costa Rica during the last U-20 World Cup we could see a bit of a resurgence from them perhaps enough to give the US a running for the number two spot.

5. TBR

TBR Member

Mar 15, 2007
    DMV
    Club:
    CD Aguila
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Mexico, USA and 1 Central American Nation.

Battle between Honduras/Costa Rica/Panama/El Salvador.

6. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say USA, Mexico and Costa Rica.

7. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    1) Mexico- Favorites to qualify first from CONCACAF in 2014, because Mexico the way they play, they almost play like a South American team, kind of like how Brazil and Argentina play in terms of passing, shooting, etc., and with Aguirre probably at the helm in 2014 by then Mexico could emerge into one of the most top ranked teams in not only CONCACAF but in the world too, and Mexico look at the players they will have in 2014, Ochoa, dos Santos, Vela, Salcido, Guardado, Zinha, Bravo, etc., their team looks like a serious threat to qualify for Brazil 2014

2) USA- They have been on a hot streak when it comes to qualifying for World Cups, like 7 World Cups in a row, so I do not see that streak being broken, and especially with Bob Bradley at the helm and in 2014 the team probably being built around such players like Jones, Altidore, Bradley, Davies, etc., USA will qualify.

3) Jamaica- My sentimental favorite, as I really really really want to see them qualify because they are a team after my own heart, and I want to really really see them return to the world stage for the first time since France 1998 where they made their first appearance ever at a World Cup, I want to see Jamaica there, that is why I am really really really really hoping Jamaica qualifies for Brazil 2014, praying they do.

4) Trinidad & Tobago- Another sentimental favorite of mine as they were magnificent back in 2006 in Germany, with an impressive showing in a tough group, so that is why I want to see T & T back at the World Cup, and what better time to do it, than in 2014, in Brazil after missing out on South Africa 2010, I really really really really really really hope hope hope and pray T & T qualify for Brazil 2014.

8. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will give you Mexico and the US but I just don't see T&T and Jamaica having the quality to beat out Costa Rica or even El Salvador. Costa Ricas U-20's just had a great tournament and they have good players in europe.

1 person likes this.
  9. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    You know what, you're probably right, and then there are teams in CONCACAF that can cause surprises like Canada or Panama, a team like Panama too is a team that is certainly after my own heart as Panama have a great youth program, with young players coming into their team, and think back to 2007 where Panama was at the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Canada, they were a good side then, and by 2014 they will be seasoned veterans by then, so I could perhaps even see Panama qualify for Brazil 2014

10. SocaWarrior23

SocaWarrior23 Member

Jun 7, 2007
    College Park MD
    You mean the Quality of El Salvador that hasnt beaten T&T in how many competitive matches (3 i think) since the 2007 Gold Cup. Anyway this is how i see it.Costa Rica will be back, i think Honduras will take a step back and T&T and Jamaica will be on the rise.

1-USA
    2-Mexico
    3-Costa Rica
    4-T&T/Jamaica

11. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    USA and Mexico will definitely qualify for Brazil 2014, T & T I really hope and pray that Trinidad & Tobago return to the world stage and mark their return to the world stage by qualifying for Brazil 2014, and Jamaica too I hope and pray, really hope and pray, because I really and I mean really want, no I realistically want T & T and Jamaica to qualify so then that way I can see all the Trinidadians and Jamaicans go at it, and to see all the flags go up here in Canada in Toronto, in Mississauga to see all the T&T flags along with the Jamaican flags too, and they can watch their teams from the pub

12. Flipstar508

Flipstar508 Member+

Sep 7, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well as this hex proved it doesn't matter how many times T&T and ES beat each other. I just would give ES the upper hand and because their core group is younger and they impressed in this pass hex. Lets not forget they beat Mexico and Costa Rica.

13. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    1. Mexico
    2. USA
    3. Honduras

the team that will finish 4th and lose to the south americans will be Jamaica or the Ticos depending on who gets the harder semifinal group stage.

I think Jamaica is currently better than the ticos. the ticos just don`t have the players right now.

14. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    tbh...it really just comes down to Honduras, Costa Rica, Panama or El Salvador.

El Salvador the real surprise of the Hex. Gave a lot of teams run for their money away from home and sadly couldn't finish their business at home, but with this taste of experience and their better players abroad, they might go one step further.

Panama is going to really be a surprise package. Blas Perez and Tejada uptop will be a pretty scarry duo. Tejada playing really well in Peru lately and a lot of their young players playing in top teams in South America, along with the older experienced players of the 06 Hex, they just might have that perfect balance of young and old on that team to make them a darkhorse.

Costa Rica and Honduras are pretty obvious choices.

Honduras don't lose much going into 2014. we still have our complete defense. The question is who pairs Costly uptop and who will be dictating our mid along with Palacios. Knowing Rueda it would be Hendry, but i don't mind seeing Luis Ramos get a shot as well. Edgar Alvarez and Rambo...we'll see how things look with them since they aren't getting an younger, but Ramon Nunez should be our starter or fighting for it. Mario Martinez probably enters the fold. A lot of variables to play around with basically.

Costa Rica...they will return hungry and with a real good team. their young players are indeed beasts, and will look to shine during qualification. if Costa Rica can find a suitable partner for Bryan Ruiz then they will be a very tough team to stop offensively.

just my opinion though.

15. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Panama is going to really be a surprise package. Blas Perez and Tejada up front will be a pretty scary striking pair. Tejada is playing really well in Peru lately and a lot of their young players are playing in top teams in South America, along with the older experienced players, they just might have that perfect balance of youth and experience on that team to make them a darkhorse to qualify in 2014. As well Panama have a great youth system, during the 2007 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Canada they might have underachieved but their team will be seasoned veterans by then, and will be able to pull off upsets in CONCACAF, Panama have a great squad, and will be hungry to qualify seeing as how they have never qualified for a FIFA World Cup, 2014 will mark the rise of Panamaian football.

Then there is Costa Rica who have a top under-20 side, with players that are hungry, hungry enough that they can qualify in 2014, along with their experienced players like Ruiz, they will want to prove that 2010 should have been their year to qualify, and they will, 2014, you mark my words, you might and I mean just might see Costa Rica back in the World Cup.

Trinidad & Tobago now that is a side that I most definitely want to see back at the World Cup, as they had a great performance back in 2006, and with most of their players who will be hitting their late 20s into their 30s, almost makes them prime to qualify for Brazil 2014, after missing out on 2010, they will want to prove to all the critics that 2010 they should have been there, and T&T will come back 2014, I really really hope and pray T & T makes it in 2014, as they have a good side, and have a great youth system of players coming.

Jamaica is a side that I really really really want to see back at the World Cup, they haven't been seen at a World Cup since 1998, and that's a long time coming for the Reggae Boyz, and they have a great youth system of players who are coming into the team along with their experienced players, Jamaica just might do it in 2014, I pray, I really hope and pray Jamaica makes it.

USA & Mexico are sure bets to qualify for 2014, so who will qualify with them in 2014, will be T & T and Jamaica, just my opinion overall of the assessment of teams in CONCACAF, remember just my opinion, if you have a different one, I would love to hear it

16. evangel

evangel Member+

Apr 12, 2007
    Who knows how many spots we will have (3.5 or a full 4), and it's still too damn early to tell (I'd like to see what happens in the 2011 Gold Cup), but for me the top 3 will be US, Mexico, and Costa Rica.

The first 2 are obvious, and I'm betting on the Ticos to get through this time around. As others have mentioned, their young players are good, really good.

17. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    It's hard to pick who will qualify for 2014....USA and Mexico are definitely favorites....but you never know....i'm very hopeful that Costa Rica will qualify because we have a lot of young talent but we got to give them time because they might end up being a bust...Costa Rica has always had solid youth teams but many players get lost due to poor organization, pathetic unprepared coaches, or players making bad decisions in their careers (Celso Borges for example).

My top 5 based on talent for now would be USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras, and Panama...but we'll have to wait and see how many spots CONCACAF will get...and to see how these teams progress in the next 2 years because other teams like Canada, El Salvador, Guatemala, Jamaica, and TnT also have talent in their teams.

18. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    USA and Mexico

Then my heart says Canada but my brain says Honduras and that will be it for Concacaf in 2014

19. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    1) USA- Now that is obvious, because they always manage to find a way to qualify for World Cups ever since Italia 90, USA are on a streak when it comes to qualifying for World Cups (90, 94, 98, 02, 06, and now 2010) that's like 6 World Cups in a row, and should they qualify for 2014, it will be their 7th World Cup in a row along with their 1930 and 1950 appearances, that would make it 9 appearances for USA at World Cups. Now only that but USA are one of the top teams in the world, their domestic league MLS is one of the best leagues, and not only that they have the players to make their team strong going into 2014, a mix of youth and experience by 2014, USA could be considered a darkhorse to not only qualify for Brazil 2014 but to go far in that competition.

2) Mexico- The best team in CONCACAF by far if you ask me, Mexico have the most appearances at a World Cup by any CONCACAF team with 14 appearances, 2014 will mark their 15th appearance, and they have qualified consecutively since 1994, and I don't see that changing anytime soon, look at the players they will have by 2014, Vela, Giovani dos Santos, his brother Jonathan dos Santos, Guardado, Salcido, Ochoa, Moreno, etc., and with the right coach leading them in Aguirre, and the way Mexico play almost similar to Brazil & Argentina, it could make them a darkhorse to qualify for Brazil 2014, and possibly go far in that competition

3) Costa Rica- Will want to prove a point by qualifying for 2014 to show the world that 2010 should have been their year to qualify, and they have great youth players from their youth teams coming into their national team, players who are actually good, and with that mix of youth on their team as well as experience with players such as Bryan Ruiz in that team, Costa Rica will qualify and be back in 2014, I'm telling you the Ticos will qualify.

4) Jamaica- I really really want Jamaica to qualify because they are a sentimental favorite to me, in my opinion, they are a team that is certainly after my own heart, and Jamaica all they need is the right coach coaching them preferably a Guus Hiddink type coach, and I'm telling you they will qualify for Brazil 2014. I hope and pray they do because I want to see the Reggae Boyz back on the world stage, for the first time since 1998, and as well they have a great youth system full of players who are just coming in to their team, and Jamaica all they need is to be healthy, and at 100% at their hardest, they can do it, I have faith in them

20. Hecho en Chivas

Hecho en Chivas Member+

Apr 22, 2004
    Chulajuana
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    LOL @ the bolded part

thank you for the laugh :D:cool:

2 people repped this.
  21. 13370

13370 Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Club:
    Stoke City FC

I watch 4 Concacaf teams played Argentina and although Diego Maradona
    was experimenting I think Jamaica came the closes to steal a win .

22. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    indeed. Jamaica cheated out a penalty...Costa Rica gave them a hell of a game as well.

23. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Aguirre will not be Mexico's coach i 2014. He already said he is going back to Europe after the WC'10. However, Jose Manuel "el chepo" del laTorre (Mexico's likely next coach) is also a great coach.

Zinha is too old to even be in this WC, by the next he'll probably be retired.

Bravo done with the NT, and he will also be too old for the next cycle. Salcido I guess will still be good by then.

The rest is pretty good.;)

USA is pretty much guaranteed a spot. I think they are at a level now that you can expect them to qualify consistently.

If the new style of qualifying happens, and the group gets bigger, many more teams from the Caribbean and central America will have a shot.

I think Honduras and Costa Rica will still be clinging to the fourth spot. if they extend the hexagonal to have about 10 or 12 teams in the group, the qualifying would be fairer, and other teams like Cuba, Canada, Panama, and el Salvador will have a better shot.

Also, I think the next team from the Caribbean to break through will be Cuba. They are pretty good, but they've been getting tough opposition early.

Dude, I'm not sure how old you are, but I guess it doesn't matter, because that belief seems to be predominant among the U.S. fans.

Putting the rivalry aside, the U.S. is a quality competitive team. I hate they way the play and their unfounded superiority complex, but they have become a team to consider. However, THEY ARE NOT A TOP TEAM IN THE WORLD.

Even Mexico has not reached that status, even though most nations, other than the real top teams, think we are. Hopefully, we can achieve that status in this coming world cup.:D

the MLS SUCKS!!!! I'm not trying to troll here, but they are far from being one of the best leagues.

All this publicity with top European clubs might draw more interest and give you the ability to get better players, but right now is really boring to watch and the quality is really low.

24. Terry Gyimah

Terry Gyimah New Member

May 6, 2010
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    1) Mexico- The best team in CONCACAF by far if you ask me, Mexico have the most appearances at a World Cup by any CONCACAF team with 14 appearances, 2014 will mark their 15th appearance, and they have qualified consecutively since 1994, and I don't see that changing anytime soon, look at the players they will have by 2014, Vela, Giovani dos Santos, his brother Jonathan dos Santos, Guardado, Salcido, Ochoa, Moreno, etc., and with the right coach leading them in Aguirre, and the way Mexico play almost similar to Brazil & Argentina, it could make them a darkhorse to qualify for Brazil 2014, and possibly go far in that competition

2) Costa Rica- Will want to prove a point by qualifying for 2014 to show the world that 2010 should have been their year to qualify, and they have great youth players from their youth teams coming into their national team, players who are actually good, and with that mix of youth on their team as well as experience with players such as Bryan Ruiz in that team, Costa Rica will qualify and be back in 2014, I'm telling you the Ticos will qualify.

3) Jamaica- I really really want Jamaica to qualify because they are a sentimental favorite to me, in my opinion, they are a team that is certainly after my own heart, and Jamaica all they need is the right coach coaching them preferably a Guus Hiddink type coach, and I'm telling you they will qualify for Brazil 2014. I hope and pray they do because I want to see the Reggae Boyz back on the world stage, for the first time since 1998, and as well they have a great youth system full of players who are just coming in to their team, and Jamaica all they need is to be healthy, and at 100% at their hardest, they can do it, I have faith in them

4) USA- Pretty much guaranteed a spot

Now who could be darkhorses to qualify from CONCACAF for 2014 are Trinidad & Tobago, Panama, Canada even, El Salvador, Guyana, the list goes on

25. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My picks for possible dark horses are T&T, Jamaica, El Salvador, and Panama. For those four nations a lot depends on the semi-final draw. On paper Canada has some good players, but as a team they are just horrible.