Which are the 5 MLS teams that have the best stadium atmosphere?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by vevo5, Jul 28, 2013.

?

Which are the 5 MLS teams that have the best atmosphere atmosphere?

1. Chicago Fire

7.7%
  2. Chivas USA

6.7%
  3. Colorado Rapids

4.3%
  4. Columbus Crew

5.4%
  5. DC United

13.4%
  6. FC Dallas

3.0%
  7. Houston Dynamo

9.7%
  8. Los Angeles Galaxy

8.7%
  9. Montreal Impact

25.8%
  10. New England Revolution

3.7%
  11. New York Red Bulls

7.4%
  12. Philadelphia Union

24.7%
  13. Portland Timbers

81.9%
  14. Real Salt Lake

27.8%
  15. San Jose Earthquakes

12.0%
  16. Seattle Sounders FC

78.6%
  17. Sporting Kansas City

72.2%
  18. Toronto FC

11.0%
  19. Vancouver Whitecaps FC

21.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are all blended, but musically there is a big difference between a Houston/Chicago and a Portland/KC atmosphere. It is pretty noticeable, even on TV.

CeltTexan and redinthemorning repped this.
  2. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago has a golf atmosphere if anything...

3. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lately I'd agree. But I've seen some decent stuff from them before. I've never been there in person though, so I'd have to defer to those who have.

4. Krasny

Krasny Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Chicago West Side
    used to be very good up until a few years ago. When the team gets more energy it will be again.

seeing Portland on television reminds me that Chicago could be similar by now if they kept momentum from about 2003 and maybe didnt move to Toyota park

5. coyoteman33

coyoteman33 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    PDX, OR, USA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't have a list, but of the few I have visited, Portland and Seattle have the best game day atmospheres of
    any MLS parks. Seattle had their stadium built for crowd noise and you can here both teams fans chanting loudly at any given time. Portland, and I am not just saying that because I live here, is the best. It's not that it is the best built or largest, but when you get down into the park, and hear the Timbers Army, it is like they are an extra member on the team. You're right on top of the pitch. Having Jeld-Wen Field in the City helps make it special too. I can remember it being like that when the Timbers were a USL team as well. Portland is called 'Soccer City, USA,' for a reason.

6. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Your avatar is a Karnivool album cover. That is awesome.

K, that's all I had, carry on.

Soccergodlss repped this.
  7. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Sure, but it's no "Soccer Capitol of America".

jtreg and redinthemorning repped this.
  8. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree completely.
    Back in MLS 1.0, the fire and DC were the two best atmospheres in the league. I am happy it has become more widespread, but you can't discount Section 8 for helping carry MLS.
    With the arrival of Toyota Park, all that momentum died like a male preying mantis.

9. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    The loss of the special atmosphere in Chicago and DC saddens me. I have no idea if it is possible for Chicago to return to its glory days, but, man do I hope so. Cautionary tales for all MLS franchises...

CeltTexan repped this.
  10. coyoteman33

coyoteman33 Member

Jan 2, 2010
    PDX, OR, USA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kudos. The Timbers haven't won anything, yet. KC has a one up on us then.

11. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Just to be clear, this wasn't me saying "SKC is better because they won something", this was me poking fun at marketing gimmicks. SKC did have a historically good 2013, but we still bestowed the title of "Soccer Capital of America" on ourselves during All-Star Week...

[​IMG]

12. USFootiefan1980

LAFC
    United States
    Aug 19, 2005
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably has something to do with all those golf courses… ;-)

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  13. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Weird I haven't noticed a real big dropoff in Chicago. They weren't necessarily bigger in the old days ... they just seemed bigger relative to the rest of the league. Chicago atmosphere has pretty much plateaued for many years while many other teams have passed them by.

To this day I'd rate Chicago's SGs somewhere around 3rd or 4th in the Eastern conference as far as size and style ... maybe around 7th or 8th in the whole league

14. dredgfan

dredgfan Member+

MLS
    Nov 5, 2004
    Denver or NOLA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not Colorado.

15. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I can't believe people seem to rate Vancouver as highly as they apparently do!

Fortunately, even though my five votes exactly match the top 5 in this poll, support is still not a cheerleading contest.

So it really doesn't matter.

16. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Continental European style. Which is more typical in most of MLS.

I'm not self-fellating but, for a few years after launch, I'd argue that TFC had the only British-style stadium atmosphere MLS has ever had*: disorganized, decentralized, vociferous, and oriented more towards the play rather than organized singing. That's long gone now and it's hard to imagine it ever coming back.

*Though Portland gets close. I'd still call them more "German" style though with the big flags and big, organized supporters end leading.

17. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I'd agree and good for them for being that way. LMFAO's "Shots" on corners is inspired IMHO.

18. PTFC in KCMO

PTFC in KCMO Member+

Aug 12, 2012
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    The first SKC I ever went too I was literally on the ground crying and laughing the first time i heard that chant.

Abso-F***king-lutely brilliant

19. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah too bad Philly fans used it in 2010 when Chris Seitz was the Keeper, and the chant was Seitz, Seitz, Seitz Everybody!

20. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Gotta agree with that, with Chicago it's been more case of stagnation in face of progress elsewhere than decline. We still travel there every year, and generally we only travel to far away places if it's interesting from supporter perspective or if it's important game. I think I've only been more to NJ and maaaybe Columbus than Chicago (some 80 or so aways).

21. vevo5

vevo5 Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2014/02/24/In-Depth/Roundtable.aspx

SBJ: Heading into the 2014 season, what do you view as Major League Soccer’s strongest asset?

TIM LEIWEKE, MLSE: It’s the level of play.

NICK SAKIEWICZ, PHILADELPHIA UNION: Tim and I have been in this league since day one, and I’d have to agree with him on the quality of play.

ADRIAN HANAUER, SEATTLE SOUNDERS FC: The strength of ownership, the increasing passion of our fans, and the relevance in our markets. The league has grown a massive amount in the last 10 years, and I feel it’s going to continue in that direction.

MERRITT PAULSON, PORTLAND TIMBERS: I would add the vibrant supporters culture in MLS. It’s a key differentiator for us. It’s a fundamentally different spectator experience. It’s a show in itself and there’s nothing like it in the other sports leagues in North America.

--------------------------------------

The atmosphere at both BMO Field and PPL Park have been on the "downturn" in the last few years.

Major League Soccer’s strongest asset? It's the supporters atmosphere. Look at Portland, Seattle and Kansas City. With these three cities, you want to be there in the stadium watching. Y would tune in to their home games to watch on TV.

Hopefully when BMO Field is expanded, TFC will have a General Admission Supporters Section.

22. guelch27

guelch27 Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Bremerton
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually dislike the organized singing quite a bit. I have sat with ECS a few times for Open Cup games, and if I stopped chanting because there was a good play going on I would get glares from other members and the cappo. I don't know about most of them, but for me it's about the game and I would much rather cheer the play than have somebody who isn't even watching the game basically be the cheerleader for the team. That said, some people would rather be part of the group I guess, and that is why I sit on the opposite end of the stadium from them at Royal Brougham Stadium.

JasonMa repped this.
  23. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that this is something that bothers me about some people... some people are more concerned with singing than the game.... From my experience in the River End at PPL Park it is less about singing and more about whats going on in the game in terms of crowd noise, we definitely seem more reactionary.. (although there is obviously consistent singing throughout game still)

24. thnkucomeagain

thnkucomeagain Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #124 thnkucomeagain, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    PDX and SEA are 1,2 no questions asked.

In terms of the MLS 1.0 groups, i.e. DC and Chicago... the supporters still bring it for 90. The rest of RFK and TP are flat though.

25. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    With regards to singing and watching the game. The trick is to get good enough to do both at the same time ;).