Which are the 5 MLS teams that have the best stadium atmosphere?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by vevo5, Jul 28, 2013.

?

Which are the 5 MLS teams that have the best atmosphere atmosphere?

1. Chicago Fire

7.7%
  2. Chivas USA

6.7%
  3. Colorado Rapids

4.3%
  4. Columbus Crew

5.4%
  5. DC United

13.4%
  6. FC Dallas

3.0%
  7. Houston Dynamo

9.7%
  8. Los Angeles Galaxy

8.7%
  9. Montreal Impact

25.8%
  10. New England Revolution

3.7%
  11. New York Red Bulls

7.4%
  12. Philadelphia Union

24.7%
  13. Portland Timbers

81.9%
  14. Real Salt Lake

27.8%
  15. San Jose Earthquakes

12.0%
  16. Seattle Sounders FC

78.6%
  17. Sporting Kansas City

72.2%
  18. Toronto FC

11.0%
  19. Vancouver Whitecaps FC

21.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    The atmosphere at Rio Tinto may not be up to the standard of many places in the world and of the best of MLS, but it comes across on TV better than places like Houston. Never having been to either of those stadiums, I'll defer to those who have, but how it looks on TV is arguably the biggest reason MLS is encouraging supporters culture. RSL fans should rate themselves a little better than they are, apparently.

They are the anti Chivas fans, it seems.

thomas19064 repped this.
  2. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd argue the Sons of Ben are more organized on the road than at home as well.... probably a combination of the River End at PPL park having a challenging layout vs. the small condensed sections we are in on the road, and also a larger ratio of people participating in road games compared to home games.

etsjay, jaykoz3 and 15 to 32 repped this.
  3. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd have to think the 18 votes for Chivas USA is a joke? .....right?

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope.. Totally legit. Those two fans that show up make a ton of noise. :)

Flex Buffchest repped this.
  5. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's two now?

6. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Three, if you count the empty mascot costume

7. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. Jesus's wife had a boy during the offseason last year and he's been bringing him to games.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I voted now! :D :(

JasonMa repped this.
  10. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey now... Even Knave can not stand the disappointment of attending Chivas games in person.

JasonMa repped this.
  11. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Actually, back in my LA days I used to prefer Chivas USA crowds to LA Galaxy crowds. I think it's changed since then, but Galaxy crowds used to be putrid: quiet, unemotional, horrible. Bunch of moms and shitty little kids. And back then Chivas USA crowds were decently sized and had kind of a nice vibe. If I showed up with other DC United supporters, Galaxy fans would get upset if we stood up and yelled. That wasn't because they didn't like us as DC United fans, but because we disturbed their peace and quiet. Chivas USA fans were just there for the party.

FlashMan repped this.
  12. Coach_Hayles

Coach_Hayles Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Redmond, WA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I was pleasantly surprised when I started attending MLS games. I'm originally from the UK and my team, Newcastle, has a great atmosphere at St. James' Park. I had pretty high standards and I didn't expect MLS to be able to match it - a lot of Premier League teams can't - but having been to see the Sounders play a few times I think the pacific northwest does itself proud. Great attendances for a sport that gets very little exposure. And the fans that do turn up LOVE it. Loud, passionate, although perhaps not all that knowledgeable.

FlashMan and Flex Buffchest repped this.
  13. Kot Matroskin

Kot Matroskin Member+

Aug 10, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Oh, now you've done it. Get ready for a beating. lol

JasonMa repped this.
  14. Coach_Hayles

Coach_Hayles Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Redmond, WA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Haha, I fully expect it. But it's the truth. If you listen to some of my fellow Sounders you'd think Alonso is a world class midfielder - the guy is a thug. They cheer when he brings someone down. They complain about every foul the ref gives against them, even if it was very obviously a foul. And a number of the fans that turn up to games (maybe 5%) seem to be there on a date and spend the whole 90 minutes trying to impress some girl with their nonsense. And I will always end up in the row in front of them. The Sounders have some great fans, but they're not very knowledgeable.

15. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Maybe they just have eyesight problems.

16. cbus3

cbus3 Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 9, 2009
    Paxdecke
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    portland and san jose are the only ones that catch my eye more than any others

17. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    The Dynamo atmosphere is more South American than Euro back then at University of Houston's Robertson Stadium. Then when BBVA Compass Stadium opened two seasons ago, I think the Dynamo front office wanted it to be more European than Latin/South American. That's not a good thing in my opinion. You can't take away what the supporters started as a good tradition and alienate a good portion of the fan-base. We wanted to create our own identity and soccer culture, not to copy what other MLS clubs' Euro-like supporters are doing.

There are many different types of stadium atmosphere/environments around the league. So I'm going to separate into two groups. The European style and the Latin American style.

My Top 5 EPL/UEFA/European atmospheres in MLS

1) Seattle
    2) Portland
    3) Kansas City
    4) Montreal
    5) Real Salt Lake

My Top 5 Mexican/Latin/South American atmospheres in MLS

1) Houston
    2) DC United
    3) Chicago
    4) Chivas USA
    5) LA Galaxy

In 2015, NY City and Orlando will have European-style atmosphere for their matches. Miami 2015 or 2016 will get more of a Latin/South American-style atmosphere.

18. Coach_Hayles

Coach_Hayles Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Redmond, WA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You'll have to explain the difference to me.

19. cbus3

cbus3 Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Aug 9, 2009
    Paxdecke
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    screw those atmospheres, American soccer atmosphere is the move

20. Tone Capone

Tone Capone Member

Dec 6, 2005
    SF Bay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Portland, KC, and Seattle are top 3 off the top of my head.

There's been talk about San Jose in this thread, good and bad. People debating atmosphere based on stadium alone and such. I say the crowd makes the atmosphere, not the stadium. The stadium can enhance it but a nice stadium (RBA) without the proper crowd doesn't do a lick of good. The 1906 Ultras do a damn good job of creating a good atmosphere, and The Casbah did a damn fine job of it at Spartan Stadium back in the day.

I personally haven't been to a more lively game in any sport than SJ vs LA, 2005, for Landon Donovan's first game back. Spartan Stadium was packed to the brim and every last person was out for blood. I'd put that crowd over any 49ers, Raiders, Warriors, Giants, A's, Cal, USMNT, USWNT, Red Sox, or Sharks game I've been to.

21. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I don't get this. RSL has a European atmosphere? Chicago has a Latin atmosphere?

I'd say pretty much all MLS teams have a unique American/Canadian blend except Chivas who have a distinct Mexican style and maybe Montreal who have a European style.

Maybe Chicago and San Jose lean more Euro and Houston a bit more Latin but they're all still pretty much a blend of all of the above.

BBBulldog repped this.
  22. Tone Capone

Tone Capone Member

Dec 6, 2005
    SF Bay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You answered a confusing generalization with a confusing generalization. San Jose has in fact gone through many different vibes for atmosphere. I remember in the 90's when it was a very Mexican crowd and I'd go sit with the crowd behind the net, because even though it was the worst view, they were the best bunch to watch with. Everyone had a noise maker and I sat next to a guy who was nice enough to let a kid use his.

23. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I think I understand what you're getting at. However, Toyota park is actually kind of segmented along ethnic lines just like the city itself. Section 8 tends to be more European in feel (Polish/Eastern Euro type tifo/pyro) and Sector Latino, in a different part of TP, has a more Latin feel. The two groups try to collaborate on chants, etc.

Out of curiosity, do other teams have a similar set-up?

24. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

Houston has an EB/TA spread going. One part of their SG usually seems whiter than the other. RSL is another that comes to mind with the second tier of their SG being more Hispanic. DC used to be like that, not as much these days.

25. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    I think SKC Supporters are the most "American" of any group. They still have the supporters thing going but I get a college athletics vibe from it. Think some of the great sporting cultures in College basketball and football. That's what I think of. Its much more that than "European" imo.

@GHjelm A few years back some people contacted ECS about advice on setting up a Supporters group with more of a latin flair. They ended up joining with the ECS instead and some of their members are becoming prominent people within the group. If you see "La Barra Fuerza Verde" flags, tshirts, two-poles etc, that is them. They are a great bunch of people and very welcoming. They are a great addition to the ECS.
    [​IMG]