Which actresses used the casting coach?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by DoctorD, Oct 8, 2005.

1. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which actresses are so bad that the only way they could have landed the part is by the casting coach?

The cynical answer is "all of them". But let's assume some are such good actresses they don't have to.

Anyway, my two nominees are:

Denise Richards

Heather Graham

2. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I meant couch not coach, but BS went down and I couldn't edit.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    I agree on Richards, but Graham has some acting talent. She just seems to have been cast in god-awfull parts lately.

4. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I remeber Estella Warren getting almost insulting reviews for Planet of the apes, I'm not sure if she's acted in a movie after that.
    Graham's ok. If she's terrible, there are loads of actresses who can go in the same category, but I think that's a bit harsh. To be honest, I can't remember another actress I found terrible, I guess most of them have decency to learn at least the basics before hitting the screen.

All those singers trying to make it in Hollywood are a real material to laugh at.

5. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tara reid.

but she woulda used it even if she wasn't acting.

the hussy.

6. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    meryl streep.

7. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Jodie Foster, when she got that Coppertone gig.

8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You may recall Richards was on an early episode of Seinfeld. It's the one where Jerry and George are pitching the pilot to Russell (the NBC dude). Russell's daughter (Richards) comes into the apartment and Russell busts George ogling.....well.....you know....Denise's best assets. Very funny episode.....although not that Denise needed to do much acting.

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dakota fanning

10. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    was this supposed to be deliciously ironic, like meryl streep isn't attractive enough for someone to want to spend 5 minutes on the couch with?

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

the answer to this question can only be found deep within yourself. enjoy the journey!

12. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    now this is better. i'll never underestimate you again.

13. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:D

14. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Well, it's not quite the same thing, but David Mamet's wife ONLY ever gets work because she's...well, David Mamet's wife. So the casting bed, I guess you could call it. God is she awful. She just about ruins everything he does.

Edward Burns' girlfriend whom he cast in The Brothers McMullen is probably the worst actress I can think of, though.

As for the literal couch of the OP, I'd say Melanie Griffith strikes me as a likely candidate.

15. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Oh, yes. ;)

16. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ---
    which wife? Lindsay Crouse or Rebecca Pidgeon?

i think your sexual obsessions with Melanie Griffith are disgusting, and you need to cleanse yourself. ;)

17. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm guessing he means Rebecca Pidgeon. Lindsay Crouse has had her moments (she was pretty good as the key witness in that Paul Newman as an ex-drunk lawyer taking on corporate evil--"Who were these men? I wanted to be a nurse...").

Pidgeon, whom I find oddly attractive, has been bad in pretty much everything I've seen her do. In her defense, however, everything I've seen her do was at Mamet's direction and he just LOVES his screenplay. He loves it so much that he makes it the star of every movie he directs, to the fatal detriment of the performance of the actors reading it.

Nancy Allen was (is she still working?) not really bad but she will always be blamed for being Brian De Palma's wife, just because she starred in De Palma's "homages" (ahem) to Alfred Hitchcock.

I'd like to jump on my soapbox for a second. Hollywood is rife with stories of actresses "using" the casting couch to get ahead, whether they were talented or not. This is history written by men for men. The suggestion that attractive women use seduction to get jobs unfairly is a canard. Sure, there are powerful, manipulative women out there, and I would be totally unsurprised to find out about any one of them using their sex to gain power, or vice versa. But the general pattern is that attractive women get jobs because the paying viewing audience demands that attractive women star in movies, with acting talent being a distant second criterion, at best. Powerful men in Hollywood use their control over said jobs to gain access to attractive women. When Lauren Hutton said "I screwed around a lot to get where I am" (or words to that effect) everybody--especially women in her profession--knew that she was not admitting to manipulating anything or anybody. She was just describing the terrain through which she'd travelled.

18. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    Julie Chin, I don't think she would be hosting Big Brother if she wasn't married to Les Moonves(sp), head of CBS.

19. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I thought George got in trouble for checking out Russell's 15-year-old (who looked about 25) daughter??

20. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uhh....that's what I said.

:confused:

21. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i have friends who recently moved out of LA - in large part due to the level of... sexual relationships to get parts. they said it was very prevalent and you would really be surprised how much this happens. and it's not just the women. ;)

22. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Aimer? Obviously to no avail...

23. Ray Luca

Ray Luca BigSoccer Yellow Card