Which A-League teams are making the best signings?

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by Grubbavitch, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Grubbavitch

Grubbavitch New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Who do you think has made the smartest or boldest moves in signing new players?

Opinions welcome!

2. MightyMouse

MightyMouse BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 19, 2003
    Island paradise east of the mainland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well from what I know of the PR Islanders I don't think they have even moved to do anything yet.

3. Champagne Football

Champagne Football New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Good one, mate. :rolleyes:
    The A-League we are talking about is the new Australian national competition starting later this year ("A" for "Australia"). A team from New Zealand is also included.

I am obviously biased, but after a slow start (and much ridicule from other cities for such), I think the list of signings by Melbourne Victory is coming along nicely. :)

A current Socceroo squad member (Archie Thompson), the current u20's captain (Vince Lia) and the former U20's captain when we made the final in '99 (Mark Byrnes). Also, 4 of the 5 so far have overseas experience (Thompson, Byrnes, Ferrante and Theoklitos). Well done so far. ;)

4. Champagne Football

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Newcastle United Jets are doing alright too....

5. Grubbavitch

Grubbavitch New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Signing Ante Milicic was a bit of a coup! The Jets look good in attack but I don't reckon they're doing as well as Sydney or Melbourne.

Central Coast and Queensland look pretty crap, we'll have to wait and see who the Lions sign from the K-League.

Adelaide and Perth both look like they'll be tricky places to visit, but I don't know if either will be challenging for honours. I was glad to see Perth sign Colosimo, I was afraid we'd be going into the league a bit light on quality. We still are, but our 'spine' of previous Glory players will get the team through the season. I wish Despotovski would stop criticising and get on with it though.

The Kungz (I know they changed their name, but they'll always be the Kungz to me) have yet to show their hand, maybe they'll be OK after all?

Sydney have bought mainly established quality and Melbourne have bought mainly big potential, and these two are out in front in my opinion.

However, I think we're yet to see who the real 'marquee team' are.

Grubb - Tasmanian Glory Fan

6. Champagne Football

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    Oops! Should have said Byrnes was the U17's captain!

Grubb, I'm very disappointed! Coming from Tassie, you should be getting behind the closest team to you, i.e. Melbourne! (Unfortunately, Perth must have got you in previous years, when the Victory was a mere twinkle in Tony Ising's eye!)

7. Auxodium

Auxodium New Member

Apr 11, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    sure as hell it isn't Perth! I mean by NOT siging players like Murphy and signing ******** faces like Despotovski is an outrage! :(