Which 3 New Players Should be on the USWNT Now

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by skybolt, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    Actually she gets the go ahead to commemorate her 100th cap. :ROFLMAO: But she has no future at forward on this team (and she has her work cut out to make it period) so there's little utility.

2. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A-Rod = Forward > Mid-Fielder.

In Pia's soccer world, Becky Edwards was a horrible mid-fielder, Leslie Osborne didn't fit in her great mid-field possession and decision making program, and Press was the most decorated non-capper ever but was/is a star everywhere (Stanford, Pali, MJ and Sweden) her foot points a ball at a goal. Lets see if the new coach can get a bit of Phil Riley out of A-Rod.

And don't give me the Olympic Gold Medal with Pia. That Japan game was a travesty with handballs and tackles in the box. Japan was robbed blind of two kicks, but at least the Gold gives US Women's Soccer a second chance at a league, so they robbery may have a good outcome.

3. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    In defense of A-Rod, her game really suffers from the the lack of passing out of the center. She isnt really good at getting her own shot but could score on runs to the posts if there was someone in the middle to make the last pass.

4. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Lloyd as the CAM, she won't ever see those passes consistently.

5. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    It's definitely a problem when your attacking forward has 20 assists in 30 games, while your attacking center mid has only 1 for the entire season. Lloyd is important to this team (14 total goals this year), but she needs a better balance between her scoring and assist ratio. In contrast, Rapinoe and O'Reilly each have 10 assists and Heath has 7.

6. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    if you gear the game to your attacking forward, having her run down the field and chase balls with Fullbach and company trailing, then the asst opportunities will come when the 2nd level catches up, especially when a couple of them are better finishers than the opponents forwards.

7. Dundalk24

Dundalk24 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    PA/OH
    I'm not sure why you're taking a run at Pia. She gave ARod plenty of time and opportunity to make a case for herself at forward. No matter how you feel about her ability or place on the field the US has too many great options at forward for her to have a realistic chance of her reclaiming that role on the team. Pia wasn't always a perfect coach, but there was certainly much more sanity "in Pia's soccer world," than in New South's soccer world.

JanBalk repped this.
  8. Alexandra MacKenzie

Alexandra MacKenzie New Member

Dec 8, 2012
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    USWNT 2013 Sermani Picks
    Forwards: Morgan, Leroux, Press, Ohai
    Mids: Heath, Rapinoe, O'Reilly (she's still dangerous), Dunn, O'Hara, Brian
    Def: Sauerbrunn, Krieger, Engen, J. Johnston, K. Johnson, Brooks
    GK: Solo and ???

9. Hothitter

Hothitter Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Glendale, CA
    I like Ohai - she has a great workrate and good composure on the ball, but I don't see her as a likely option at forward in 2013 with the competition at that position. And I think it's a bit premature, at best, to exclude Wambach from the mix. Last time I looked she was a Ballon d'Or finalist, and she may very well win it.

JanBalk repped this.
  10. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Fullbach will run Sermani out of town, if she isn't on the WC team. Ask Mike Lyons about trying to bench her.

11. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I really dont care who he brings in at this point as long as he starts a youth movement and Buehler and Lloyd aren't part of it. I also agree we need to move away from Abby at this point too. She'll still be able to contribute but this team is moving in a different direction and she just doesnt fit the way the team is evolving

As far as all these records maybe being broken... I have yet to see how many games were played to set the old record vs this run. If there are more games played now and a record falls... its not a record in my book. I tried to find that info but really didn't have time to look too hard and couldn't find it. Mia and Michelle Akers were globally "the players" of their era. As much as I like Morgan, she is not on the same level as Hamm. Shes good but is not in the top one or two globally

12. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just top 3? :D Anyway, it's her first year as a consistent starter for the USWNT. She's not doing bad. Hamm did her record in 21 games and Akers in 28. Of course, there was a lot less competition then.

13. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Dearest Newsouth,

Would you kindly just type Abby Wambach's real name? The "nickname", if that's what it is, isn't at all clever and is just annoying.

And before you retaliate with some childish comment, I will compliment you and say I approve of your naming Alex Morgan "Horse", dropping the "Baby" part. Kind of like when Eddie Johnson, trying to prove his maturity, called himself a Grown Ass Man. Well, Morgan is now a Grown Ass Horse. But simply "Horse" will work just fine. Thanks!

Respectfully,
    FawcettFan

14. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KAT, she is a horrible defender, cant believe you do not see that, but then again the only good US defender on the roster is 40...rampone. O Hara has good ball control bad soccer brain and playing out of position.

15. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RESTOCK...i like that term! Time to RESTOCK this team!!!!
    bye bye Orielly, Mitts BoxX, Lepeilbet (your mentor is gone to Europe follow her), Cheney, OHara, Rodriguez, Rampone. And yes time for the GREAT Abbey to retire too and work on getting her coaching badges so she can manage the USW in the future.

Perfect time to bring in new blood and have the new talent grow under the guidance of Morgan, Rapinoe, Lloyd, and Heath.

16. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Whoohoo! lets destroy the team so we can hurry up and lose to the Euro's and Brazil. Let's just play the whole U20 team they are definitely better and can beat France, Germany, and Japan.

17. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I guess you missed MagicJack. She wouldn't sub herself out of games, when she was completely useless. Best example was MJvsPhilly playoffs. Press was on fire for the 1st 45 mins, got subbed out, and MJ died, but Abby kept herself in, and I don't remember, if she even had a shot on goal.

Yeah, they need new blood to challenge those four.

You're not winning a WC with handballs and tackles in the box.

FC RASTA repped this.
  18. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    The way NOT to start a new league is to throw the bigger names off the WNT just when name recognition is needed. I think the restocking will be a slow process for at least that reason. The important upgrade is for Sermanni to get these younger players some caps, not to revamp the team in an off year.

19. FC RASTA

FC RASTA Member

Mar 28, 2005
    California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As fans of the UWNT we should support the up and coming players....lets be real the rest of the world is improving and the US should too. It is never easy to push out veteran players, but lest be real some on the current roster have are way past their prime and some were not even the most talented at there positions...they landed on the squad and stayed for fear of change .

Someone mentioned not making moves in an off year....well this is the best time to do it. Less pressure, gives team time to absorb and adapt to change. I cannot believe the vets on the USWNT are so naive that they do not realize they are not a good as before.

8MaCookies and Namdynamo repped this.
  20. skybolt

skybolt Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    I agree with this as well. I absolutely love Abby, but there's no reason for her to be playing every single game until the 2015 WC. Same thing applies to someone like Lloyd. I presonally believe that both players should be picked as reserves for the 2015 WC, but in the meantime need to be replaced with other young and up and coming players.

For instance, it didn't take a veteran like Kaka long to mesh with players like Neymar even after being left off the team for 2.5 years. Proven veterans can always step in at the last moment and play a major part in big tournaments. In the meantime, other young players will receive some much needed playing time, just in case we need them for the WC. Let's not forget that Birgit Prinz was still a major force at the age of 32, but was a complete non factor at the 2011 WC at the age of 35. Unfortunately for Germany, they didn't have a back-up plan.

21. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nobody was saying not to give players playing time, caps, or whole games. But I was saying that it is stupid to say the new coach needs to drop Abby today. You aren't saying it, but FC Rasta is. She may not have whatever speed she once did, but she is still a force. She gets it done. Even if she gets it done because Morgan makes it easier for her it is perfectly acceptable, (which considering she got it done in 2011 without full time Morgan too, is not completely true anyway.) Abby may not be her prime, but over 20 goals a year is enviable. Shit the French would take her as a free agent any day if they could. Even if it would piss off their fans. Because she would give them someone who just plain finishes when the ball is given to her in front of goal.

Build and groom for the future yes, kick out someone who is still getting it done, no. Thankfully none of the internet people are the coach because there is no way that Sermanni does it. Only Greg Ryan is that moronic.

22. Rosytoes86

Rosytoes86 Member

Apr 11, 2010
    I have to say, I think people are too hasty to throw Cheney out with the bathwater. People are quick to judge recent performance, with over all talent and depth as a player. I think Cheney is out of position. Remember 2009-2010 seasons, in particular her performances at the Algarve Cups, when she was absolutely stellar as a forward. Not only was she scoring goals like crazy, but she was assisting and making her self available all over the field.

I think because a combination of lackluster support and unfamiliarity with the position, she has gotten lost at middie. I would really really love to see what would happen if she moved back to forward. She really excelled and seemed to find her stride there.

I would keep her for sure!! When she's good, she's incredible

23. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Well there is a big difference between tossing off anyone over 30 and reducing playing time to give young players caps. I would expect to see Wambach in a rotation up front. U may also see Sermanni go to a system the essentials utilizes three strikers. As long as the US produces tons of Strikers and few quality midfielders he may just decide to go with his strength.

A bigger problem the Wambach is the age of the back five. Three of them, Mitts, Rampone and Boxx hinted at retirement following the Olympics. Rampone was asked to stay at least one more year. Boxx is now talking about another WWC. And I saw Mitts, when asked about Sermanni in Houston, say she was looking forward to playing for him.

24. kernel_thai

kernel_thai Member+

Oct 24, 2012
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think if Sermanni goes with a three front or a triangle on top, u may well see Cheney back at forward. A rotation of Morgan, Leroux, Press, Wambach and Cheney thru the three spots would certain offer a lot of offense. She is too young to give up on.

25. PacmanJr_00

PacmanJr_00 Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, we need 1 fresh face at each level. I think two of those levels are easy, Engen at defender and Press at forward. I am not sure who leaps out at midfield and which particular position is needed the most. When pressed, I would rather have two of the three be central midfield types but Press deserves the call and I wouldn't take away a defender from the 3. So, I would look for a defensive central midfielder. Since we haven't bothered to train anybody behind our wonderful 38 rock, this position will be a tough fill. Ideally you would want somebody at each position that is an obvious choice. I guess Winters or Klingenberg.