Where's the Smoke - The Chelsea Youth and Reserve Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Thanks for the correction on age. I knew it was 20 or either 21. My point still stands however. Josh is 21 years old. He is still a youth player for most teams. All it takes is a good loan spell like his Boro spell and things change. For all intents and purposes, he's had a good spell here. I realize under Carlo he was the prodigal son, but to write off a 21 year footballer is a little harsh. He's got the majority of his football career to get it together yet.

2. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think he's staying in the UK because he thinks, (probably rightly), that, if he left for Spain or Germany, he'd be 'out of sight, out of mind'.

Hopefully his side will get promoted and he can start to do it in the prem.

3. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    upload_2014-4-6_16-51-37.jpeg

FYP

4. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    the concerning part is that 18-21 is really a huge developmental period for players as they transition from youth football to first team football and Josh has really stalled- some of the fault lies with him and some lies with the club- on that front. At this stage I think there are at least three current youth players I think are ahead of the curve in terms of being able to make an impact for the first team in a similar role/position.

5. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  6. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think it just goes to show how hard is to make the right decision, tbh. You don't want to be dropping down further than you have to as you won't be learning football at a high enough level but you also need to PLAY... not sat on your arse on the bench.

I did tentatively suggest elsewhere on these boards, that one of young English U21 lads was right in dropping down to the championship to guarantee playing time but, according to some people, I was wrong... apparently :rolleyes:

:D

7. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    agreed

I think Wallace thought a tad too highly of himself and turned his nose up at some pretty decent moves which made a lot more sense for him. At the time I thought he had enough ability to at least be in the reckoning and while I did not think he would start every game having the chance to compete for a spot and occasionally playing would have done wonders for him but it ended up being a disaster as he hardly ever even makes the bench let alone the squad list.

I remember there being a lot of Nate for the Premiership talk and I thought that was a bridge too far at the time as he may have found himself not playing which we saw occur with Josh. While I think is all too common for fans to overrate their youngsters I can understand the excitement around our lads- but I think that excitement needs to be tempered with some realistic expectations of just how many of these lads actually make it at a consistent basis on the next level.

Also think it is worth noting that many of our lads who do not make it with us are landing at much bigger clubs now as opposed to a few years ago.

Blueallthru repped this.
  8. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely wasn't writing Josh off, just feel he hasn't stood out much in any of his loan moves, and has disappointed more often than not.

Blueallthru repped this.
  9. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    quite fair imo

really think he will continue to struggle in the Championship where the premium is on midfielders who are athletic and press the shyte out of the ball in a physical manner as opposed to standing off players and letting them knock it about

that move to Sociedad would have a been a great one for him imo

10. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah, it's his style of play that's part of the problem I think in that it's probably not best suited to a prem relegation fight outfit where they need to have people who get in the faces of the opposition and make crunching tackles.

It's OK having someone who can pick out a slide-rule pass or drift a ball out wide to a man running inside his fullback but stopping the opposition playing is just, if not MORE, important.

In any case, are the other players in the side going to MAKE those runs?... are they going to see the possibility, even?

I know you slagged off Allardyce recently but, tbh, with some of the fellas he's got available, a 'Barca-style' tiki-taka set-up probably isn't going to work. I mean, I'm not saying you're wrong but, as he's shown since he reverted to plan 'A' with Andy Carroll up top, in a dog-fight, the kick and rush, close them down, lump it to a big lad up front, normally works more reliably.

As much as anything I think it's because, in the EPL, people get away with tackles they wouldn't elsewhere so fellas like Josh can be, (and, indeed, he was when he was with us), robbed of the ball. In a holding midfielder, that's NOT what you want.

fernb8 repped this.
  11. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    spot on mate. I don't doubt that Josh has the talent but he needs to find the right fit for him and I just do not see many clubs in the Championship where he can find players who he will mesh well with and will find several opposing midfielders who use their physical ability to nullify his technical and tactical ability.

I completely understand Fat Head doing everything he can to keep his team from being relegated but the issue is that he started his thuggish, long ball nonsense long before he had to worry about relegation. I also understand he does not have Xavi, Inestia and Co. in the midfield but he does have a few lads who can knock a ball around the midfield and a couple of lads at the back who can build with the ball instead of hoofing it down field. Lets not forget who was behind and pushed strongly for the signing of Carroll and that occurred even as he was playing a very (ahem) direct style.

The issue I have with Fat Head is that he has and has had the players to play significantly better football than he has done/can do but he continues to insist on his style while turning his nose up at anyone who criticizes him. I found it very interesting that Stoke have only scored two headed goals this season and their football and generally results have shown that as opposed to what we saw and the results from Pulis. Its just a shame that Fat Head is too obstinate to see that.

Naughtius Maximus repped this.
  12. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Bamford scores

(yawn)

13. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Omerou sent off for two yellows after 82

Nate gets the full 90 as Boro win 3-1

Bamford with the goal and 77 mins (came off with a possible injury) in a 3-1 win

Josh subbed at halftime as Wigan lost a disappointing game vs Millwall

Blueallthru repped this.
  14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not sure he's got the intelligence to understand the way the game can be played, tbh.

It's interesting seeing how sides like Southampton, with a lot of English youngsters they've developed themselves, are pressing the ball, passing and moving whilst people like Allardyce are going in the OPPOSITE direction.

15. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    worth noting that for all the plaudits Pochettino is receiving for the way Soton are playing, and he deserves his share, is that the core of the team was developed and built by an English Manager

16. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    playing catch up

Chelsea Youth ‏@chelseayouth Apr 10
    That means nearly 8500 people have turned up to watch Chelsea at U21 and U18 levels this week. Great to see.

http://thechels.net/2014/04/fa-youth-cup-chelsea-2-1-arsenal-semi-final-first-leg/

lads take a 2-1 lead into the second leg of the FAYC

https://t.co/x90XBImnA2

highlights from above

and further highlights below of some of the U21/U18 fixtures courtesy of EskWeston

http://t.co/KlQt0mjNiN

http://t.co/tZgXF6MVSq

http://t.co/4nazeA76em

Retweeted by Chelsea Youth
    [​IMG] Aleksandar Holiga ‏@AlexHoliga 4h
    Chelsea techn. director Michael Emenalo in Split today, saw #CFC signing Mario Pašalić Man of the Match performance in Hajduk 1-0 RNK Split

17. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    U21's win 4-2 over Villa today.

Baker nets two, and Swift with two (I believe). MVG goes the full 90 tonightas well. Great to see.

18. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  19. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Great news about MVG. Really feel he could add a lot to our first team squad next year!

20. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    I think his physical size and stature is a bonus to begin with and then factoring in his technical ability and the way he played for Vitesse and we may have a good little player on our hands

21. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  22. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Chelsea Youth ‏@chelseayouth 6h
    Arsenal confirm tonight's #FAYC Semi Final is now sold out with an expected attendance of around 10,000: