Where's the Smoke - The Chelsea Youth and Reserve Thread

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by fernb8, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    not sure about his defensive side of the game but he seems to be a versitile attacking player which the current turnover in management should be a good thing for him. I suspect he will deployed on both the left and through the middle as Mata was.

2. Dtrip77

Dtrip77 Member+

Jun 10, 2009
    N NJ!!!
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about Kakuta?

3. slipereypete

slipereypete BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    will have a chance to fill the Kalouda void most likely

4. Ninjatend0

Ninjatend0 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    i've actually mentioned him previously, i think he'll have to be given some shot to fill a role here. he can give us an option both out wide and in the middle if mata needs a rest. i'm not sure he's ready, but at this point, he has to be given a shot, or moved on. we'll see what happens with him. he was looking good at Dijon but fell off a little towards the end of the year, though i think part of that was he started getting marked heavier, and they were fighting relegation and the couch approached that without kakuta in mind.

5. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't think we'll have a choice. If we lose on Saturday, we might be required to make due. Kakuta can play a role here, next year he will be given a chance.

6. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
  7. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Kane and Chalobah will make the bench tomorrow if any senior players are injured.

8. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    There is a very good read on Courtois on ESPN Soccernet. Titled something like Bright Blue Future.

Can't link as I'm on my phone.

9. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  10. Blueallthru

Blueallthru Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    May 15, 2012
    The Interwebz
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This Courtois cat has been giving me headaches. What is his time frame? Do we all feel this this bloke is the next keeper for Chelsea?

Also, how long is Cech's current contract?

11. mshankb

mshankb Member

Nov 15, 2004
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He very much seems to be the real deal. My only concern is that he might develop quicker than the suggested 2nd-year-in-Spain-year-in-the-Prem timings. Imagine if we end up with one of Europe's top keepers on our books playing every minute elsewhere - he might not want to come home.

12. jcm28

jcm28 Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    Not to mention Cech still has about 4-5 good years in him. Goalkeepers last a whole lot and im sure Cech will not be the exception.

13. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
  14. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
  15. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Fern, who do you see as the surest bets to be playing for us in the future (2,3,4 years)? How far away are guys like Piazon, etc? thanks.

16. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    probably at least one season before we can expect any of these lads to really make an impact as even squad members imo. The nice thing is with the changes coming into Reserve football next season it may be easier to assess the players instead of trying to match them up on loan. It should be a great thing for all invovled and while I still expect the club to use loans- especially abroad- to judge and assess the players, I think we will probably see a few less Domestic loans than we have in the past which should allowing better judgments on a bigger body of work.

In regards to who is ready when

Conor Clifford- if he can get a solid season of football behind him has a good shot of being a solid squad player. He really stalled in his development this season, which I was disappointed to see, but if he can bounce back may be one of the leading candidates for an early role.

Milan Lalkovic fits into this grouping as well and may be a touch ahead of the curve when compared to Clifford. A flashy and creative player who needs to be more consistent. If he does not break into the team within the next season- I suspect he will move on.

Lucas Piazon has a great shot as well but needs another year with the group and I think a few too many are focused on what he does going forward. His all around game needs to improve and he has to step it up a notch or two defensively if he wants to move up.

I think the next best bets are Patrick Bamford and Islam Feruz. Both need to continue scoring goals and playing well in the new League next season and if they do, I would not be shocked to see them possibly get a call up for a few minutes towards here and there. Big compliment saying that I know, but both really look the business at their respective levels.

Toddy Kane is at least two years away imo. And despite the current set up may need a loan as well to gain that experience. Needs to add some weight to his frame.

Nathaniel Chalobah just needs minutes in one position. Really do not want to see another Mancienne with him. A year in one role should do him well and then he can possibly link up with the squad or look for a loan for valuable experience.

Jamal Blackman is at least three years away for me so I wont discuss him too much and I like the look of Loftus Cheek, Baker, Swift and Kiwomya but it is far too early to bring them into this discussion imo.

Wrath and JediSoccer repped this.
  17. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    The problem to assess & give a verdict on who can make it is a bit harder now given the verdict need a strong base of performance at different levels. At Chelsea loads of schoolboys who will be scholars for next season played in league games, the first & second years played reserve games many times in the second part of the season. Only Youth cup is where you have got a good set of games to judge them.

The average age for u18 league games being too low/young is a barrier imo in saying who might make it in there. Reserve footy being a poor affair means the task is even harder. Can't really see Cliffords Saville making it either(I like Saville a lot), particularly Billy is a Sala mkII. Also club keeps likes of Philip Pappoe etc too long with the club out of compassion(not a bad gesture) but in the end it does not contribute much.

At best i think it's the obvious trio of Jamal Kane Nate plus first years Piazon, Ake & maybe Feruz have got good chance because club will afford them time & scope. Others like Baker Swift Affane will have to earn that confidence from the club.

18. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    agreed and thus why I think it will be easier to judge them when they are facing the better U-21 players from the opposing Premiership squads

I still think Conor stands a chance if he can get sorted. He is a long shot I know but there is something about him which catches the eye in terms of being a player to move up. I like Saville as well but I suspect he will plying his trade elsewhere soon enough.

19. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    Clifford might get sorted but I'm afraid he would lack the patience & put his time & work into forging a career. Unless Bertrand becomes a new model to follow, I feel some more will leave soon to forge a playing career at a lesser level like league football.

Lalkovic intrigues me, he's a level above reserves but his size & style makes him less suitable for a winger or even a CF role(for a British team anyways).

20. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have Mata who is 5'7, interested in signing Hazard who is also 5'7, or Lucas who is 5'8.

Two of the best players on the League Champs are also midgets: Silva and Aguero

Not too concerned with size of players, just ability

21. BlueRebelZ

BlueRebelZ Member+

Aug 2, 2011
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    I'm not concerned about them making the grade here, I'm concerned about the loan moves they might get in British clubs & prospect of that. Lalkovic went to Donny & then to ADO but hardly played because I believe part of the reasons is his tiny size & no definitive position.

Let's see where Lalkovic has played since youth days. Played as a CF with u16s. Then as a first year scholar he was a wide forward, part of front 3. In second year due to Prosenik injury Lalkovic was CF again throughout the campaign & in FAYC. For the reserves he has been again a wide winger & had pretty good form I think, scoring in most of the games.

All of it suggest he hardly had settled in one position. Which is reflected in his Donny loan, before & after their managerial change Milan hardly played, was deployed as winger but got shafted easily. Still he showed some brightness there but uncertainty over his suitable position & a doubt about his physical prowess is there. Hardly a club in England would use him as a wide forward role in a 433. If he's deprived of chances to show what he can bring on to the table then he won't get a chance at CFC either. My concern is there, not that we have tiny, less physical players.

A practical similar case is kakuta & Davila in their own role. Both are used as no 10 role, but hardly anybody in Eng use a proper skillful no 10 player. You see hardly a proper no10 player across PL, C'ship & leagues. Vitesse manager directly said they don't use no10 type playmakers so davila did not get chance. My concern is there. Chelsea bring through players in a different football education altogether, contrast to Eng clubs philosophy. Villa got Nzogbia as no10, Fulham has Casami, Everton, spurs don't even have that. Rooney at manu, Petrov at Bolton, RVP at Le Arse, Wigan got maloney. None of them are what Chelsea brings in or likes to loan out at those clubs.

22. slipereypete

Nov 29, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA, USA
    i love this...

U19s... Nate scored the 1st too

23. JediSoccer

JediSoccer Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Spokane, Washington
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Chalobah has the feel of a future Blues legend. That kid is the real deal.