where to buy balls?

Discussion in 'Coach' started by john rod, Mar 10, 2014.

1. john rod

john rod Member

Jan 8, 2005
    kingman,az
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    our league has bought balls from Score for years. last years balls were the shinny surface balls and personally I did not like them. seemed like the kids cleats stuck to them and we had lots of falling down till the balls got well beat up.
    they have to cheap, #1. because they get lost, the dog chews them up, they kick them against the rest rooms which are rough block, they kick the balls against the chain link fence which just ruins them, they get kicked into the sandburrs and go flat, you name it. so the $ is important. in an area of less than $10.00.
    where do you buy balls in the amount of 300 [in 3 sizes]. your thoughts.
    Thanks Rod in AZ

2. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    100 of each size? I'd assume that's wholesale quantities.

I'd go in reverse and identify the ball you want that fits your parameters THEN go try to procure it wholesale.

3. Ihateusernames

May 16, 2007
    Merriam, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of our PreK and K teams get balls from the club. That's in the hundreds as well. They are nothing special but we use Challenger sports. Then again, the office is right around the corner from us. I've seen some decent ones from them as well.

4. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have had good experiences with the Select brand.

5. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    #6 rca2, Mar 11, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    Me too. For my adult team matches I used the same match ball that the high schools used. They played well and the players all liked them. While they were match balls, I would use them for 10+ matches before demoting them to practice balls. I only stopped using them when I decided to go to a $50 ball.

For kids of course you don't really to spend $30 for a NFHS match ball. I would rather get a ball for kids that wears out sooner, however, then get the heavy, hard plastic covered balls sometimes offered. They wear like steel, but they are very difficult to control and add unnecessary force to impacts while heading. That is something to consider while inflating as well. I normally inflate balls to the lower end of the allowed range.

6. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Why is your club looking to spend approximately $3000 on soccer balls? Why not just have all the players show up with their own balls and have a smaller stash of club-owned balls available for the kids who forget to bring their ball to training? You want the kids to own a soccer ball anyway because you want them playing at home, right?

7. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    since they buy it annually, it sounds like it's part of the player package. Why would a purely "team" ball be home getting chewed up by a dog.

In an ideal world, a team and a league would practice with the same ball. All balls have a different quality to them like touch, feel, and bounciness. If it's consistent then we can focus more on what we're doing than on changing our touch for each different kind of ball.