Where (ex)-WPS players will play this year

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by nightofrefs, Feb 19, 2012.

1. nightofrefs

nightofrefs Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Thought it would be helpful to have one threat to keep track of everyone's movements, as this could be royally confusing.

Averbuch - FC Rossiyanka, Russia (noted this summer as 'A cash-strapped Russian team who decided to play their next match in bikinis to draw crowds)

Solo - W-League Seattle Sounders

Leroux - W-League Seattle Sounders

Whitehill - Boston Breakers/WPSL- Elite Division

Please add and/or revise.

2. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Press - Göteborg FC

3. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Manya Makoski, who had been coming back from Iceland to play for WNY Flash in '12, will instead go to Åland United of the Finnish Naisten Liiga.

4. luvdagame

luvdagame Member+

Jul 6, 2000
    anybody hear anything about marta?

i'm curious to know how much cash she can squeeze out of a team without wps competing. i'd also like to know how long of a contract she signs - meaning will she be available next year.

5. nightofrefs

nightofrefs Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Daniel via twitter - @DandalBs - says she's talking to Swedish clubs. Logical.

6. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I've heard she was talking to German clubs. Her agent was asking for $1M :eek:, Germans were talking $500k, Sahlen money.

7. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Would it be worth noting players that are "staying"? (This is not counting players staying with an Elite League version of their WPS team.) I mean, it sounds like Farrelly, Lenczyk, and the DiMartinos are staying with the Independence at least through early March (for clinics and such).

8. rflkmts

rflkmts New Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Marta will play in Sweden .. She had joined Veronica Boquete and Caroline Seger in Tyresö FF .. It has been announced on the official website of the team and the main sites of Brazil .. She preferred to play in a competitive league .. Than making money in Russia or Germany ..

http://www.tyresoff.se/

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    For how much money?

10. Spurs10

Spurs10 New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    A lot less than the rumoured 1 million asking price that's for sure. In the press conference it was also mentioned that 100% of her salary is coming from outside investors and not from the club.

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    But significant money nevertheless. probably more then the WPS would have payed her if the were still around.

12. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    she wasn't going to get the $1M her agent asked for anyway. i'm guessing it's close to 400K-500K, given it takes outside sources to cover it. it's like selling an used car. you only want 5000, but you price it at 7000 and let buyers bid it down/low ball it to the price you were looking for in the first place.

13. Spurs10

Spurs10 New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    USA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't know, some reports from Sweden mentioned she is getting 1 million crowns which is about $150,000 dollars. But I think we'll know for sure next year when she files her taxes in Sweden, which is information available to the public.

14. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That has to make discussions about raises uncomfortable in the Swedish workplace.

15. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anybody think there's anything to the Morgan/Sounders rumor? seems like Dure et alia are trying to diffuse it on Twitter.

16. goalscorer204

goalscorer204 New Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Morgan has her starting spot in West NY in the WPSL Elite this year she isnt going to leave

17. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alex Morgan could start on any team in the world. Is your point that the WPSL Elite is that much better? The contracts are starting over. There are no guarantees. And if she leaves I don't think there would be any hesitation to resign her in 2013, especially if her stock has doubled.

18. Nacional Tijuana

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I thought I understood (no logic otherwise), hence my post.

19. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Not really -- just haven't heard anything direct. I doubt the rumor came out of thin air, but I don't know the odds of getting to "done deal."

I think WNY may yet sign a national team player or two. We'll see.

1 person likes this.
  20. nightofrefs

nightofrefs Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Does anyone know if Sky Blue - after their exhibition games in Japan - will be a part of the WPSL-el?

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Sarah Hagen scores 2 goals for Bayern Munich against Freiburg for a 3-0 win.

http://www.fcbayern-frauenfussball.de/

Google Translate:

22. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  23. necron99

necron99 Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Gotta love that attendance number. Strange how everyone points at Frauen Bundesliga and says "theres how it's done". Their attendance even for FFC and TP are lower then the average WPS team.

Congrats to Hagen. Good to see her get a chance to succeed.

24. Katreus

Katreus Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's how it's done because you know, they actually survive for longer than three years. I don't think it's bad to take the lessons from them that allow them to have a stable league system while also maintaining our larger audience (which should be larger anyway if we assume roughly the same % of people in a population are interested in women's soccer).

2 people repped this.
  25. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Ding ding ding!