Where does Magico Gonzalez rank in the worlds best?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by AguiluchoMerengue, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No problem.

2. burco

burco New Member

Apr 10, 2011
    So by that logic............. Pele, Eusebio, Beckenbauer and Garrincha etc. are much inferior to Magico too. :rolleyes:

3. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    That would actually be funny if someone else posted it, when you come across telling us that Jorge Gonzalez is a top ten player of all time and then try to make fun of others by posting that list makes you come across as a hypocrite.

Again if he was so good why a big club never signed him, great players play for top clubs not for cadiz.

4. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    so? how well did Gonzalez do in Brazil?

5. Adrian559

Adrian559 Member+

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

i did it came back with "who"

6. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    if he went there, prob the same thing that happened to him in spain, he would have scored spectacular goals and brazilian defenders would have tackled the zhit out of him like most defenders that played againts him did.

instead of maradonas, he would have been in Peles top10.

:p

7. lucas barton

lucas barton Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Sludge City
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So is Magico before or after cocaine in Maradona's top 10??

Jsean and RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  8. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You can have all the talent in the world, but if you can't apply yourself, you aren't a great player.

No, but it does highlight how deluded you are.

Nobody is claiming Beckham is a great player.

And what exactly did Gonzalez dominate, apart from perhaps the Cadiz drugs & hookers scene?

had or took?

9. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Of course Mexicans would jack the thread withough contributing anything... sorry that Maradona didnt include any Mexican in his top10, cry all you want, reality is reality.

Is so easy to go to Spain and score spectacular goals, tell that to English players, I have never seen an English player in my life time going to Spain and scoring the type of goals Jorge did, in fact very few players in the world have gone to Spain and get "Panuelos Blancos" in El Bernabeu and Camp Nou specially when you are playing againts them...

According to Cadiz historians, Jorge went to Barcelona and Madrid and got Madrid and Barcelona fans standing, cheering for him, something very few players in the world can brag about, Ronaldinho and Maradona for example.

Of course Englishn fans wouldnt know about this type of things, their players are never good enought to play in Spain.

10. Adrian559

Adrian559 Member+

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    its English and why would they move to la liga when the premier league is the best and also the $$$ and everybody has contributed in this thread explaining to you that this guy had skills but wasted it them could of been great but he didnt he stay in Cadiz never won or moved to a bigger club, and if he was so great he would of of moved never won anything and scored 90 goals in spain its pretty good but not great.... yeah how many did hugo score 234

11. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gary Lineker went to Barcelona in the 80s, scoring 42 goals in 103 games. (86-89).

Scottish striker Steve Archibald, a good but not a great player by English league standards of the day, also played for Barcelona, scoring 24 goals in 55 games.

La Liga wasn't a strong league like it is now in the 80s. It wasn't weak, but it was probably viewed in the way that the Bundesliga is now. Good, but not up with the best.

12. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He didn't score 90 goals in Spain. He hit 59 in 9 years.

13. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    There might be a parallel universe where "Magico Gonzales" and perhaps Ali Karimi are in a close battle of the number one all-time Greatest football player, but in this universe, both are irrelevant in such discussions.

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  14. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    in the 80s... and its only 2 players...

15. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    When did Magico play there?

Also if you want English players, how about Lawrie Cunningham. He played for Real Madrid, rather than Cadiz though.

16. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm just hoping SectionX will come along and argue that Ibrahimovic is better, and set up a Ibrahimovic v "Magico" thread.

I think I'd pay to see that.

17. Adrian559

Adrian559 Member+

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

thanks for the correction

18. Adrian559

Adrian559 Member+

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

lol x2

19. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    I've come to realize these "Greatest Players of All-Time" analyses are pretty much doomed for a number of reasons, for instance:

1. There is an inherent bias towards players from big countries, due to the size of their market and the reach of their media.

2. There is a bias towards players who played on big clubs, because they tend to play alongside better players and hence win more trophies.

3. There is a bias towards contemporary players, for obvious reasons, but also towards players from previous eras, because of pre-existing notions of how great they were. Both biases are inherently flawed.

4. There is a great difficulty in comparing the relative importance of forwards v. midfielders v. defenders v. goalkeepers in any of these analyses.

5. Unlike American sports, soccer is global in nature and there is no unified league where the greatest players are playing against each other frequently.

Don't get me wrong - it's fun to debate these things, but you have to keep an open mind about the whole concept to begin with. There are a number of players such as "Magico" Gonzalez who were brilliant, but never gained world-renown because they played for smaller clubs and/or countries. In Latin America, it is a well-known complaint that many great players go unnoticed by big European teams because they are from smaller countries, whereas many mediocre Argentinians and Brazilians are scattered throughout the world. We can never know what would have happened had a Carlos Valderrama been scouted by Real Madrid as a young player...

20. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Good post, that is basically what I said in other reactions in this thread.

That he settled as first (and perhaps only) Salvadorian in an European country speaks for him.
    Others point towards the difficulties of English stars to settle themselves and that is a very good point.

21. Misterioso

Misterioso Member

Dec 10, 2005
    [​IMG]

22. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Yes and it makes sense, because looking great playing in a lesser league is MUCH easier and therfore useless to make a proper comparison.

And if you're talking about national teams here: George Best

Noones expecting Cadiz to win La Liga or the European Cup.

For this reason I'd like to refer to the 'La Liga Ratings' thread my msioux.
    Players from small clubs are well represented at the top, yet Magico is nowhere to find. Quite patethic for a 'Top 10 alltime' player that he seemingly isn't even Top 50 in the 5th best league in Europe during his time.

Very true, but not relevant in Magico's case.

My stance still is that OP's opinion is insane, but what's bothering me the most is that he is using some of the dumbest and most illogical argument I have ever had to read on the internet. All the flack and mockery he's recieving in this thread is more than deserved.

23. Jaweirdo

Jaweirdo Member+

Aug 19, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'm pretty sure the OP knows that Magico is no where near Top 10 and is just enjoying all the attention hes getting, interjecting with absurd comments to keep the thread going.

Anywho to shut him up, if hes so obsessed with words that come out of Maradona's mouth he should stop bashing Messi as Maradona has called him "his successor".

24. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Wait, what?

Spain was the 5th best league in Europe during the 80s? Italy was no doubt the top one but which were the other 4?

An English league with very few foreigners? The German league?

TS is an idiot but let's not get carried away either. By the 80s, the Spanish league was already importing top talent and was at least the 3rd and probably 2nd best after Italy.

25. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Pele never played for Madrid or Barcelona, how can they guarantee he wasnts gone fail?

Cruyff never won a world cup, did Platini win a world cup?

What did George Best ever do for his native country?

Zico are you kidding me? he went to Japan.

I dont know much about Eusebio or any of the others mentioned before, like I said, numbers can say many things, David Beckam has better numbers than anybody else, you watch a video of Beckam and a video of Magico, is not even funny the difference between the 2, Jorge would run circles around Beckam, but Jorge didnt marry an English spice girl or modeled for Armani.

To me Eto and Weah were much more dominant players than Messi, and yes didnt win the Ballon D'Oro, great job fifa.

Valderrama is a great friend of Magico Gonzalez, I mean people thought Colombia was good enought to win the world cup :eek: I always asked that to myself, how effing good Valderrama was?

but not he wasnt German or Italian, therefore he must be zhit.

I keep hearing of this great EPL players, why isnst Madrid or Barcelona breaking the Bank for them? They did it for Cristiano didnt they?

Reality is, most English players cannot compete at that level, they may be descent but would never come close to what the Ronaldinhos and Magicos did in Spain.

Maradona may be an idiot for jumping into politics, he may not be a great tactician, but come on, they want to tell me Maradona doesnt know how good a player was/can be? :D GTFOH.

I have seen pictures of the 3 together, mutual respect from Maradona, Magico and Valderrama.

There have been a few other Salvadorans in Europe, Rodriguez when to Germany, Saprissa was actually very good in Spain.

Is not easy for any Latin American to adapt himself in Europe, but a lot of our players succed because of the tremendous techniqe, something the English players dont know much about, they dont have faith in their ping pong dumb game.