Where does Magico Gonzalez rank in the worlds best?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by AguiluchoMerengue, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    30 years ago.

2. PedroCerrano13

May 15, 2010
    Spearmint Rhino LA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I don't think anyone is "bashing" any central american country. We're basically enjoying a good laugh at a delusional fan who happens to be Salvadorian. Magico may have been top 10 in concacaf and the best in El Salvador's history but this doesn't automatically make him top 10 in the world all-time. Maradona's opinion is just that, an opinion. Michael Jordan could say Eduardo Najera is the "best" NBA player of all time (theoretically speaking, of course) and that sure as hell doesn't make it true, he may be the best Mexican basketball player of all-time but we all know that Najera isn't even top 200. Now, back to the "bashing", I find this hypocritical because if anyone "bashes" it's Salvis and Most Centries on any success Mexico has. In fact, most Salvis root for the USA because they know El Salvador sucks and if not, they root for Brazil or Argentina instead of sticking through their team through the thick and thin. How do I know all this, because I'm half salvadorian and half mexican and I see how flip-floppish my Salvadorian side is when it comes to this sport. I respect Magico and what he has done for soccer in El Salvador but to say that he's better Platini is just plain out idiotic and if you really want to compare him vs Hugo, Hugo and Mexico accomplished far more than Magico ever did but any mexican will tell you that Hugo doesn't deserve to be in the top 10 greatest of all time

3. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Hugo Sanchez scored one goal over the span of three WCs and sucked in almost every WC game he ever played. I rate Magico and Maradiaga above him, that's for sure. Even Yorke and Donovan should be rated higher than him, in fact.

4. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    lmao

5. Adrian559

Adrian559 Member+

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

with what??

6. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    the real question is who is better between Magico Gonzalez and Neymar, I mean have you seen Neymar's dribbling :D

7. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    and despite all that Neither of the players you mentioned were a five time goal scoring champion in Spain. As far as forwards are concerned in the CONCACAF region, it would be Hugo, then Dwight Yorke

8. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If Magico was born in England, Germany or Italy he would have been the best man to ever live :D

If he was born in Argentine or Brazil at least the best soccer player ever.

If he was born in Mexico... Mexican players are just great, absolutely great.

He was born in a poor country with not much influence in FIFA and with a small population.

Again, how many of those players you are mentioning Maradona included into his top 10? Why didnt he?

Why, why would Maradona say this? how much coke did he do that day? haha

Why would Kiko Narvaez say the things he says about Magico? Valdano?

Sorry that Maradona didnt include Sanchez, Asprilla or an English player into his top 10. :rolleyes:

I guess Magico Gonzalez is a myth but so is David Beckam whos great accomplishments have been sending "great" crosses and a few good free kicks :D

David Beckam has "superior" numbers than Magico, his free kick may have been better too, that means Beckam is way wayyyyyy more "superior" than Magico, bring me some more popcorn, cant wait to hear the English fans arguing Beckam was just as good as Jorge "El Magico" Gonzalez because of all his trophies from French Magazines LMAOF.

9. Adrian559

Adrian559 Member+

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

yes

10. Adrian559

Adrian559 Member+

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

who else are in his top ten

11. Vasu

Vasu Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    My favourite 10 would include Gerrard, Alonso, Hyypia, Lahm and Kahn simply because I greatly respect the contributions they made to my love of the sport. That doesn't make them top 10 players of all time.

12. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Come back when anyone is hailing Beckham as about the 5th greatest player of all time.

You can say what you like about Beckham, but he had a very good club career at two of the biggest clubs in the world.

Did he have the flair of Magico? Clearly not, but he did know how to be a very effective player, which is something Magico clearly didn't, or a top club would have signed him.

You still duck the question of why no top club wanted to sign him.

Reading a few things, he comes across as a lazy showboating piss-artist who had ability, but cared more about partying that football, and was an inconsistent waster as a result.

In the dire world of El Salvador football he could still stand out as a great player. In a good league though, showing a rare flash of skill while missing many games through being drunk doesn't cut it. It made him useful for relegation strugglers like Cadiz, but would have made him a liability for any decent side, which is probably why no decent club tried to buy him.

Top quality best 10 in the world types players are known for their ability to play to an exceptionally high standard consistently, which is why they are wanted by top clubs.

Gonzales isn't anywhere near that, which is why he merits no attention.

And that sad thing is, for all the talent he may have possessed, the fact that he pissed away his career makes even a limited player like Beckham a greater player. And he's nowhere near the top 10 either.

13. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    In terms of achievements he may not be a top ten, in terms of skills yeah.

I just dont see how you would talk about great players and not mention Magico...

Assuming that because of his "record" he was not better than Platini, I still argue that he should be top10 or top15 at least simply because lazy players like Beckam only worked on their free kicks with their right foot, lazy players like Fat Ronaldo or Messi never worked on free kicks, lazy players like Zidane never worked on their speed, George Best never won anything for a mediocre team like Northern Ireland :p

Zico didnt play for Real Madrid or Barcelona either.

14. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I can guarantee you that Jorge is the only one from concacaf in his top 10 ;)

15. Adrian559

Adrian559 Member+

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

i can guarantee you thats the only top ten jorge is in

16. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    I've never seen someone put so much false information in just 82 words.

You might google 'Flamengo' - it's just the most popular team in the biggest football country.

17. Adrian559

Adrian559 Member+

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

you still didnt answer the question of why with all the talent he had, why didnt the bigger clubs come knocking

18. Adrian559

Adrian559 Member+

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

That fat ronaldo won 2 world cups and messi has won everything in Barcelona

19. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    so? how well did Zico do in Spain?

Jorge is among the best players to ever come to La Liga, in fact his goal againts Barcelona is one of the top goals in the history of the league.

20. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Gio Dos Santos is better.:D

21. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Fat Ronaldo was great but he didnt do free kicks, I rank Samuel Eto higher than Messi, also Ronaldinho and no Im not joking.

I would not rank Puskas or Fat Ronaldo higher than Jorge, Platini and Cruyff... thats debatable.

I will say technically speaking Jorge was somewhere around those 2 (Platini and Cruyff) and that is assuming Platini was as dominant with the ball at his feet.

Like I say you can look at David Beckams record and you will be like "wow what a great player" and reality is, David Beckam does great free kicks and great corners, very limited player, not as dominant as players like Jorge or Zidane.

Zidane vs Jorge? Jorge had speed...

22. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    speakin of that, here is my new top10 of all time.

1. Chicharrito
    2. Chesperito
    3. Chicharrote
    4. Hugo Sanchez
    5. David Beckam
    6. Van Persie
    7. Cuatemoc Blanco
    8. Freddy Adu
    9. Rooney
    10. Charrito

Source: London Fashion Magazine aka FIFA :D

23. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    thats gone be ur homework, google should be your best friend :p

24. Of_Wires_And_Birds

Mar 20, 2009
    Edinburg, Texas!
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Which reminds me, I'm pretty sure Magico Gonzalez was the name of the little salvadorian magician we hired for my nephews party, he was dreadful.

25. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    great contribution to the thread broda.