Where does Magico Gonzalez rank in the worlds best?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by AguiluchoMerengue, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ...and tell a thousand lies.

It certain doesn't answer the question why a player you regard as the 6th best of all time wasn't wanted by a team any better than perennial relegation strugglers like Cadiz.

2. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Wikipedia is going to shut down for a while starting tonight so if anybody wants to find out who this Magico guy is, it's best to do the research now.

Come on, I can't be the only one out there who never even heard of this guy until this thread opened. At first I was a bit embarrassed, but after looking has his career numbers and the clubs he played for, I see that there is no shame in admitting this. The guy sounds like a poor man's Hélder Postiga.

3. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    if he played for Barcelona, that means he was "wanted?" :confused:

videos of how great those top10 players were, heck just because you never saw Jorge playing, it doesnt mean he was not as good as many people think.

I never saw Eusebio, Puskas, Platini, Beckenbauer, or Garrincha playing, why would I believe they were better than Jorge?

Heck I dont even know who that Moreno dude was.

Somehow Jorge had to bring Cadiz to glory but Messi doesnt have to bring Argentina to glory, what did Best ever did for Ireland? Where did Zico play? What did he win? How great was Platini?

4. Maurice Dollars

Maurice Dollars ¡Arriba Perú, carajo!

Jan 11, 2011
    Lima, Perú
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    You have got to be the most biased and close-minded person ever. I don't even know why I'm writing this, but I will attempt to get this through your thick head. It's no use, is it?

I gave a pretty good argument, in my eyes, yet you ignored it all and only saw the word "trolling". I am beginning to believe that you actually believe all of this nonsense.

So, you didn't respond to my post and then you have the audacity to say, "i do care about the people that actually show some respect and make some sense, some of you are just ignorant idiots, to those i respond the way they deserve to be responded." Have you not read (or are incapable of comprehending something that goes against your close-minded views) anything anyone but yourself has posted?

And then this gem, "Again, if you are not going to respond on a educated way, please dont bother." which is being reviewed as a candidate for the most hypocritical comment ever.

I have given you a reason why a certain player (Messi) should be ahead of Gonzalez on your list, based on YOUR rubric. Explain why Gonzalez is ahead of Messi?

Okay, Maradona said Gonzalez was better than himself. He's got some quotes about his prodigious skill. He scored on Barcelona and played in a World Cup. The Maradona quote does not overshadow or make up for actual awards and accomplishments. Maradona is one man, the best player of all-time in my opinion, but you can't base a whole argument on ONE opinion. For example, I was reading here in the Beautiful Game forum that Pele once said, "If I am the King of Soccer, then Larbi Ben Barek is the God of it." Would you argue then that Ben Barek is in the top ten?

Maradona talked about Gonzalez because he was asked about him by a Salvadorean journalist in El Salvador. Now comes the case of Claudio Pizarro. He played for one of the biggest teams in the world for six years and then moved on the Chelsea (a spectacular team in their own right) and is still one of the top scorers in the 3rd best league in Europe. He has scored on Madrid, Milan, Arsenal, Chelsea, and Inter. Pizarro is also the all-time top foreign scorer in Germany and is a favorite in Bremen. Mourinho wanted Pizarro and so he played at Chelsea. He has won league titles, German cups, been a runner-up in the Champions and Europa League, and he was also the top scorer in the Europa League. Though, Pizarro wasn't the main focus at Bayern Munich or Chelsea. It could be argued that he is the main man in Bremen and he is up there with Guerrero, Vargas, and Farfan for Peru. Pizarro's accomplishments overshadow Gonzalez's, I daresay. I have presented facts that are similar to the ones you made.

In comparison, I think Pizarro and Gonzalez are similar: Pizarro has had a more successful career, but *gulp* Gonzalez has a Maradona quote. However, I would never claim that Pizarro is a top ten player of all-time.

Anyway, I'm done. Everyone has their own opinion and you seem stuck on yours. I have presented my opinion, and I won't waste any more time on this thread.

P.S. I think I just took Pizarro a couple of steps higher than I previously had him. :eek:

P.P.S. Wikipedia is blacked out.

5. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    If you call me a throll, why wouldnt I ignore you?

You dont respect my opinion, why would I respect yours?

Let me see if I can go back and prove you wrong, you either dont read very well or you are not as smart as you think you are.

6. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Since when is "El Pais" a Salvadoran newspaper? Bring me some popcorn because I cant wait to hear this one :rolleyes:

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/andalucia/mago/hechiza/nuevo/elpepiespand/20030204elpand_38/Tes

you are not a college student are you?

7. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih

Claiming Magico Gonzalez is better than Zico, Best, Platini and Cruyff is as much as an 'opinion' as saying an elephant is heavier than the sun.

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  8. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    if we are going to base everything on numbers, eto and seedorf are better than most dudes in the top10.

9. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    And what do you base your argument on? highlights from friendlies?

10. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If a top club side signed him, rather than spending all of his career at a mediocre club, then I'd say he was wanted. Appearing in one friendly doesn't count.

I could probably compile a youtube clip of Simon Church's best goals for Reading and he'd look like a top class player. It's all the other bits that wouldn't get onto the video clips that are rather more telling.

What glory? Cadiz finished about 16th every season he was there.

What glory did Gonzales bring to El Salvador?

His most notable contribution to world cup history was being part of the team that lost 1-10 to Hungary.

11. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    Asking 'Where did Zico play and what did he win?' should already tell you how much the threadstarter knows about football pre-2010 other than Magico Gonzalez.

RoyOfTheRovers repped this.
  12. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Also asking about videos of Platini means he doesn't know what youtube is.

13. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    This needs to be in WR..ASAP! lol

14. El_Huero

El_Huero Member+

Dec 21, 2009
    EduarDitto "The Pelé of Anal"
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    he saw a game of MLS soccer and thinks he knows everything already about futbol.
    :p

Jsean repped this.
  15. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    what made zico so great?

please, educate me.

16. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    tell me how great platini was, ill make some popcorn to enjoy the reading :p

please convince me since fifa hasnt.

17. Adrian559

Adrian559 Member+

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Michel François Platini

• France Football Magazine’s French Player of the Year: 1976
    • France Football Magazine’s French Player of the Year: 1977
    • L'Équipe Magazine’s French Champion of Champions: 1977
    • Top Scorer in the Italian Championship: 1983
    • Chevron Award: 1983
    • European Footballer of the Year: 1983
    • Onze d'Or: 1983
    • Top Scorer in Italian Championship: 1984
    • European Championship Player of the Tournament: 1984
    • European Championship Top Scorer: 1984
    • European Footballer of the Year: 1984
    • Guerin Sportivo Magazine's Player of the Italian Championship: 1984
    • L'Équipe French Champion of Champions: 1984
    • Onze d'Or: 1984
    • World Soccer Player of the Year: 1984
    • Top Scorer in the Italian Championship: 1985
    • Chevron Award: 1985
    • European Cup Top Scorer: 1985
    • Knight of the Legion of Honour: 1985
    • European Footballer of the Year: 1985
    • Onze d'Or: 1985
    • World Club Championship Final, Man of the Match: 1985
    • World Soccer Player of the Year: 1985
    • English Football League Centenary Classic Match, Man of the Match: 1987
    • Officer of the Legion of Honour: 1988
    • El País' European Coach of the Year: 1991
    • World Soccer Manager of the Year: 1991
    • Artemio Franchi Prize: 2003
    • Named in FIFA 100: 2004
    • Elected UEFA President: 2007

Jsean repped this.
  18. Mr. P Mosh

Mr. P Mosh Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Monterrey, NL, Mex
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Respuesta: Re: Where does Magico Gonzalez rank in the worlds best?

Ha! but did Maradona ever say Platini was better than him?

:p

19. Dominican Lou

Dominican Lou Member+

Nov 27, 2004
    1936 Catalonia
    Did you SEE all of those things happen?

Didn't think so.

I saw, on Youtube, Magico score on Mexico.

Gonzalez > Platini

20. Adrian559

Adrian559 Member+

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

lol

21. icii

icii Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Just stop it Aguiluchomerengue, your just making a fool of yourself.

22. halfnhalf89

halfnhalf89 Member+

Aug 19, 2008
    Aguilucho i think that's enough, as a salvadoran i think magico was one of the best players from concacaf, his skills were incredible. But to be considered one of the best players of all time you have to have the complete package, and also be playing for an established country or club. George Weah could not take Liberia to the world cup, but he was a star for big clubs in europe. Maybe if magico played and performed for a big club, he would be better known to people. Im also disappointed that people compare Lee Trundle to magico, if magico were british he would be overrated through the roof. El Salvador is a small and poor country, and will never be taken serious. Thats why I give props to Maradona who no matter what will always tell it like it is, no bullshit. I also notice that there is alot of mexicans in this thread who love to bash other central american countries, non stop. They will never forgot that run where Magico ran from the half line beat 3 mexicans to set up the winner which knocked Mexico out of the World Cup.

23. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ill be back

24. elvasco

elvasco 100% Americanista

Sep 10, 2006
    In my case I don't even know about that run, it happened before I was born. It is funny that you guys think we make that much of a deal about the 82 qualifiers, it was the moment for you guys but for us it was just another failure, it wasn't the first time we missed on a world cup nor the last.

25. Ags09

Ags09 Member

Club America
    Mexico
    Jun 16, 2006
    Philly
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    LOL seriously...who gives a fk about WCQ 20 fkn years ago.

i think most ppl with .05% brain capability knows he isnt relevant in the world of football..

justsayin