Where does Magico Gonzalez rank in the worlds best?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by AguiluchoMerengue, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    interesting video, makes me wonder if Pele or Maradona ever missed a pk, I know Messi and Ronaldo have, so did Roberto Baggio...

I guess we can say that Magico was a national treasure for Cadiz and thats why they didnt let him stay at Barcelona :p

2. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    simply better players that made their particular teams better

Cueto with Peru in the late 70s winning a copa america and qualifying to two world cups
    Valderrama making Colombia a world renown force

and Okocha as a member of the super eagles

and Magico? he scored against Barcelona once

3. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Instead, they let him go to Valladolid. :D

Oh, calm down. You're a bit touchy on the subject. I wasn't hating on Magico for missing a penalty. Just trying to tie in the whole Magico/Barcelona angle.
    Magico actually scored Valladoid's lone goal that day, a well placed free kick that just went beyond Urruti and inside the post which made it 1-1. ;)

4. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maradona, Platini, Zico, Socrates, Baggio, Mijatovic, Baresi all missed penalties at the WC.

5. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Valderrama had Asprilla with him who was one of the best strikers in the world at the moment.

Cueto, I know nothing about so Im not going to be the douchebag that judge something I dont know.

Okocha, didnt dominate at the any club like Jorge did... that nigerian team had other great players as well.

Unlike Jorge, he literaly had nobody at El Salvador or Cadiz, it was just him and his dominance.

6. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    when Magico went to Valladolid, he was like Ronaldinho when he went to Milan, they were already party animals that cared little about the game anymore... who.res and drugs was all they had in their mind. :eek:

7. jared9999

jared9999 Member+

Jan 3, 2005
    Naucalpan Estado de Mex
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Aren´t you overrating them a bit?

8. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    nope
    they were for a brief period up there with the best

fantastic team to watch, but flawed, ultimately lead to their quick demise, if anything they definitely underachieved

9. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They underachieved, a great team playing a proto-tiki taka that had most critics salivating in anticpation of the WC. In a friendly against Sweden a month before the start of the tournament, Valderrama slided to block a shot from outside the box (I think it was Brolin taking it), injured himself and had to leave the match, it ended 2-2 but I think their fortunes went south beginning with this play, as he did not recover fully in time. Also, their defensive mid Leonel Alvarez was celebrated locally but really did not belong on the team, and was at fault for two of the three goals by Romania. Maturana had Chicho Serna on the bench instead, but did not utilize him at all. Finally, Asprilla went cold the one mont when it mattered most, after the WC he had a world class season in Serie A. Go figure.

condor11 repped this.
  10. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I dont know if you live in the usa but we have seen in espn a documental that tell us about what happened to Colombia in the 94 world cup.

Yes they were a very talented team with Valderrama and Asprilla dominating.

The Colombian team was getting a lot of cash from Escobar, the Colombian drug lord... they had extra-motivation when all that money was coming in.

Once the world cup started, Escobar went to jail, not more extra-money for the players, the confidence and motivation of the players went down, Colombia was having a drug war into their country, the players had a lot going on outside the field. They were not "protected" anymore by Escobar and other drug dealers were trying to get into the team...

Before the second game in the world cup, the Colombian team recieved a phone call saying that if the result was no good, one of the relatives of the players was going to die in Colombia, they failed, the relative was murdered... that was basically the end of Colombia tiki take, there was no spirit anymore, soccer was the last thing they had in mind...

Talent with unrealistic "motivation" had that team dominating, South America.

Again, Valderrama was a great player but so was Asprilla, you cannot give all the credit to El Pibe.

11. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Thanks for the story, I never heard of the murdered relative before. Of course, we all know the tragedy that their centerback Escobar was killed under mysterious circumstances soon after the team arrived back home.

Wasn't Escobar, the drug lord, not captured but killed in 93?

12. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I have no interest in knowing about drug lords or anything with all that crap, I watched the documentary because it was about soccer.

The documentary is called "The Two Escobars" or something like that.

Escobar, the defender that was killed, had nothing to do with the other Escobar, they were two different people.

On that documentary, a lot of former Colombian players talked about all the money they got from the drug dealer, everything was great in Colombia, Pablo Escobar came from a poor barrio himself so he built houses for poor people, and he invested a lot of money on futbol, the sport he loved.

Once the Colombian players knew Escobar went to jail, the whole team went down on motivation, not only that, but with all the crime going on in Colombia, they didnt feel safe anymore, Pablo Escobar protected them.

Once Pablo went to jail, other drug lords were trying to take over, they were jelous of P. Escobar, and they knew that the Colombian national team was a product of Pablo's success, so they wanted to make an statement of who was going to run the drugs in Colombia.

When Colombia was eliminated of the world cup they went back home, none of the players wanted to go out, they were scared, they embarrassed themselves after they were clear favorites to win the world cup. Times were tough in Colombia.

One night, Escobar (the defender) wanted to go out at night, nobody wanted to go out with him to the club so he went by himself, people were messing with him at the club because of the own goal... as a big dude, he challenged those people to fight outside, then he was shot in the parking lot.

The people who shot him, according to the video were part of one of the drug families that were trying to take over the drug business...

Anyway, we are going out of subject here but that is the reason why Colombia was amazing and why the messed up.

I have a lot of respect for Valderrama but anybody that grew up in those days knows that Asprilla was a heck of a finisher too.

13. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I haven't watched the documentary, didn't even know about it. Your version of the events the night of Andres Escobar's death is what I had heard.

In regards to Pablo Escobar, yeah I'm thinking about getting into the business that's why I ask :rolleyes:. It was a factual correction, I don't think he was ever in jail but was killed during the raid to arrest him.

14. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I never heard about this guy, Lobo Carrosco, but I guess he used to play for Barcelona.

Interesting what he says about Jorge.

"The whole Camp Nou applauds Magico's Goal against Barcelona" hahaha

Makes me think of h0w many players from visiting teams received ovacions from Barcelona fans...

15. Adrian559

Adrian559 Member+

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

who cares

16. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    def no Hugo Sanchez fans :laugh:

17. Adrian559

Adrian559 Member+

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    huh?

18. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    lulz, this thread came back to provide lulz at the expense of gloryhunting salvies

yeeeeess

jared9999 and Adrian559 repped this.
  19. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    why do Mexicans feel the need of jacking this thread? lol

20. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    carry on, the thread is delivering the lulz

Adrian559 repped this.
  21. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    again, make your own Hugo Sanchez thread haha

"There is only one Magician in soccer, he is from El Salvador" Maradona

22. Adrian559

Adrian559 Member+

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    "and nobody gives a ********"- EVERYBODY

23. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think Mexicans do bc they wont stop replying here :ROFLMAO:

24. Adrian559

Adrian559 Member+

Apr 29, 2011
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    HUH

25. Alexander88

Alexander88 Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Club:
    AC Milan

Your Mother is Fat

fast as Ronaldo? 'you have to put in mind that there is not a fast player like Ronaldo in football history, perhaps only Henry.

Ronaldo even post-injury was the 36Km / h

Magic Gonzalo was good to wash the toilets