Where does Magico Gonzalez rank in the worlds best?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by AguiluchoMerengue, Jan 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I have seen videos of Johan Cruyf on youtube so you are not gone bs me on that one, assuming that what most people say is right. I could go like these.

1. Pele
    2. Maradona
    3. Beckenbauer (videos?)
    4. Di Stefano (videos?)
    5. Eusebio (videos?)
    6. Magico Gonzalez (fly to Argentina and question Maradona about it)
    7. Johan Cruyf
    8. Zidane
    9. Big Brazilian Brawl here between Romario, Ronaldo and Ronaldinho
    10. George Best?

Eto is another one of the greats that is so underrated but his free kick is not good, he was also not as creative or a great passer but yes super fast and a great finisher.

I wonder how good was George Weah, another one that crosses my mind is Muller or some German striker that was supposed to be that good, now with youtube we can eliminate those "myths" of how good players trully were.

If we wouldnt have youtube; David Beckam, Wayne Rooney and Van Persie would have been the greatest players of all time thanks to fifa ranks :D

2. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    El Salvador has a lot of Spanish and Italian influences, more than what most people think, but yeah our country suck, too many gangs, our players are usually technically gifted but somehow too small to play in Europe.

Zelaya who is our best player right now is playing in Russian second division, it doesnt help the fact that we are a small nation with only 6 million people, there is not money to be made with our players in terms of marketing unlike Chicharito Hernantez :D

Our market is really small but Im sure some great Salvadoran players are on the way again and really soon we are going to have another golden generation where players such as Magico and Barraza are going to come out.

Our country breaths soccer, the whole country stops when our national team plays or when Barcelona and Madrid play.

3. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I reckon you'd like this guy. Could crack your top 5.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ilqmcslw4"]Lee Trundle Magic Man - YouTube[/ame]

4. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    fun to watch, is he in Maradonas top10? just wondering :p

5. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Italy and Spain are also not benchmarks of stable countries ;)

I think people underestimate how difficult it was for Magico Gonzalez to succeed in Spain... It is always difficult for pioneers. To be one of the first is not that easy.

Perhaps that is the problem: resources are sucking away towards Spain instead of investing it in their own league... Copying another country is never a good strategy by the way.

6. schwuppe

schwuppe Member+

Sep 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Kryvbas Kryvyi Rih
    What's with Faustino Asprilla?
    Just look what he did to Barcelona.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGhrALajoNA&feature=player_embedded"]Newcastle 3 - Barcelona 2 (1ª Fase Champions League 97/98) - YouTube[/ame]

Top 10 ever for sure.

7. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
  8. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Going by the players he didnt take to wc 2010, I wouldn't take much notice of how maradona rates player

9. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    how does Maradona rate players? please explain.

why in the world menotti wanted in barcelona a salvadoran whos only acomplishment was beating mexico? :p

10. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  11. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Who are those "many"?

[​IMG]

WOW

This is one of the most extreme cases of fanaticism I've seen on this site. I'm sure the guy was a decent player, but anybody who casually follows the game, to the most hardcore fan will tell you that on the list you posted above, one of the names doesn't belong. Guess which one that is. In front of Cruyff? Seriously, Cruyff? You need to reevaluate your "research" which is 90% "Maradona said so" and 10% "oh yeah, well he scored on Barcelona."

Jsean and LGRod repped this.
  12. ninjew

ninjew Member+

Oct 14, 2009
    Discordia 2.0
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Marco Fabian and Chicharito scored on Barcelona.... they should be on a list somewhere...... :D

Jsean and LGRod repped this.
  13. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Hugo Sanchez sucked in the WC. He only scored 1 goal in 3 WC's. Knocking him and Mexico out is nothing to brag about.

Who cares what Maradona says? Maradona once said that Eddie Johnson reminded him of Eusebio. That alone should make you realize his opinions are twisted.

Just like Pele, a brilliant player but almost everything that comes out of his mouth is crap.

14. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Seriously, some make a mockery of it and of course it is very remarkable to place such a player in the top 10 but I think one can perfectly 'admire' this player. He was perhaps the first Salvadorian to build a kind of successful career in a high-profile European league. That isn't as easy as compared with players from more accustomed countries. To give one example: almost every Western coach will hear someday that Brazilian players don't like it to be corrected/scrutinized in front of the whole group. That hurts their self-esteem and, on the longer turn, performance. Those cultural sensitivities are more or less known, hence coaches will deal with it, but that is not the case with players from El Salvador. And that is just one example.
    Clubs and staff know how to deal with those 'familiar' cultures, although it can always improve. Similarly, players from the 'usual' countries know also a bit about how to adopt and feel themselves comfortable in another league as well. They can build upon past experiences, hear about it and inform themselves.

Therefore, to succeed as player from a 'odd' country as El Salvador is quite a feat.

15. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    lol wut?... link or it never happaned.

16. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be4oM53ZacY"]Eddie Johnson new Eusébio - YouTube[/ame]

Don't have the exact link for the quote but they mention it here at the beginning.

I'll try to find a link with the exact quote.

17. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Yeah who cares what Maradona says :D

Listen to Dr Know, he knows ;)

18. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyEWEjZUrJs"]Magico Gonzalez Top 10 Best Soccer Players Ever - YouTube[/ame]

a few quotes about Jorge, I know, these people do too much drugs :D

http://es.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mágico_González

• El salvadoreño es de esa clase de jugadores que ya no existen. Su fútbol ha sido y será siempre recordado en España. Su regate, su personalidad, su manera de ver el fútbol... Me alegra gratamente que me comparen con él, ya que para mí es uno de los mejores jugadores que ha dado este deporte.
    • Un dios con rizos y sabor a piriñaca.
      • José Manuel García, periodista deportivo.
      • Fuente: Marca
    • Es uno de los jugadores más atractivos que yo he visto en mi vida. Uno de los talentos naturales más impresionantes que me tocó ver dentro de una cancha.
    • Técnicamente es mejor que Maradona.
      • David Vidal, director Técnico de Cádiz C.F. 1986-1990
    Of course only people on bigsoccer.com knows

19. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Was Kiko Narvaez any good? Just wondering, never heard of that guy.

20. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Kiko was alright, he actually played for Spain a number of times.

21. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    What about Valdano? He knows about soccer or he is another fanatic who abuses drugs? :D

22. Frosty

Frosty Member

May 29, 2008
    He probably doesn't remember it but Maradona said I was a great player once, can I be top 10 too.

23. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    There are a lot of players like magico that have had similar things written about them

Most countries have had those special players

Just because magic isn't in most peoples top 10 dosnt make hima bad player

I'm sorry but you are overating him

Would be like me claiming
    Hugo sotil or Cesar cueto were top 10 players

24. El Washatero

El Washatero Member+

Nov 5, 2007
    AP Top 25!
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Id say top 5

1.chacharito
    2.chicharito
    3.gonzalez
    4.chicharito
    5.titus bramble

Jsean, RoyOfTheRovers and LGRod repped this.
  25. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Probably not those two players but you can make a case for Cubillas.