Where do you stand?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by antifan, Aug 17, 2013.

?

So which is it?

Poll closed Sep 3, 2013.
  1. Arsene Knows!

35.8%
  2. Wenger Out!

64.2%
  1. KozIsCul

KozIsCul Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    It's a valuable consolation prize for me, but based on what we've seen against Swansea and Everton, it's not a lay-in from here by any means.

If we can't score goals, and that's the way it's been for a month or so, there's no team we can beat, certainly no team that we're guaranteed to beat: Wigan, Sheffield United, Port Vale, Yeovil Town, anybody.

When push comes to shove you'd like to think we have enough quality to find our way past Wigan. But we have to show something more than what we've done recently. Ramsey can't come back soon enough.

2. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I wonder if PSG fails to win CL if AW winds up there given that he knows the owners. I suspect they're keeping Larry White on a short leash

3. fari

fari Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Denver,CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

lauren wasn't world class but he was solid.

4. LAgooner05

LAgooner05 Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Orange County
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sol was a a freak as well. Power, pace, athleticism. I forget where his parents where from.

5. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    they're jamaican.

... and presumably unmarried.

6. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can't be serious......o_O

7. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Laurent Blanc has been extended until 2016. He will still be in charge next season at PSG.

8. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am in the middle. I would love for Wenger to finish his career here but with someone like Dein running the personnel (and medical staff) and money issues. Someone with balls. Leave Wenger to coaching and training the players. Obviously, the key to making this work is the relationship between the two.

charlie15 repped this.
  9. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think what he meant (and the way he said it is probably the easiest way to represent it), is that the team looks like a bunch of per-pubescent suburbanites. The ones I used to smash growing up, because like people are realizing about Arsenal, we were faster and stronger in every position. It not even like they are making up for it in being hungry for the ball either.

I'd like to see stats on 2nd balls we've won, but just going by the eye test I'm going to say less than 10%.

DaPrince84 repped this.
  10. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Having improved to being one of the best defensive teams in the league for a year the team has returned to laughable defensive displays in recent months.

They are going backwards

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It was interesting to look back at this defensive aspect.

In 2013, Arsenal were elite in preventing the other team from shooting from high value zones.

This was a key factor in Arsenal 'winning" the 2013 calendar year EPL.

Suddenly they have regressed sharply to be worse than ever!

I don't even think the problems are tactical because they look like the keystone cops out there whereas only 4 mths ago the defence was elite.

We are seeing once more all the bad stuff like allowing the full backs to be isolated, losing all the midfield duels. Lack of concentration. Lack of confidence.

They've lost their heads completely.

12. Arsenal_NGA

Arsenal_NGA Member+

Jan 12, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Podolski, Cazorla, Giroud, Arteta and Flamini aren't good enough for a title contender, Wenger has failed to see that and stubbornly refused to buy any players that would strengthen the team except Özil.

If Wenger keeps on refusing to buy any players that actually strenghten the team (like Draxler, or Schneiderlin), he should just leave. This club wants to fight for the title, which is almost impossible with the players mentionend above.

13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I think those players have proven to be useful in the rotation - but ideally they would not all be playing at once.

e.g. a team with Theo and Ramsey & Ozil is probably serviceable with Giroud & Arteta

Flam was very valuable in the first half of the season in the rotation

Podolski can chip in with goals against the shit teams.

But that team yesterday lacks any standout performers.

14. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plenty of talk now about the FA Cup being a nice consolation for Wenger and he can walk off into the sunset and blah blah blah . . . Does anyone want to put money on us winning the cup at this point?

I'm not looking past Wigan. I was pleased to see that Ramsey and Ox instantly made us look threatening in the final 3rd yesterday. They both have to start on Sunday because without goals, just picture the meltdown of Arsenal Nation next week when it's Wigan 2-0 at Wembley.

"We must get back to basics." Thanks, Arsene. I'm inspired.

15. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a reason that teams are not run by fans.
    Wenger is a pretty smart guy and will get things figured out, not only does he have the knowledge but he has the financial ability.

antiwhinger repped this.
  16. MisplacedSpainard

Apr 5, 2007
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    So we have been told....

17. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wenger out. Hopefully in graceful, FA-cup winning fashion... but Wenger out.

18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Arsenal needs a properly corrupt owner

Quentin, Romfordray, Publius and 2 others repped this.
  19. ArsenalJake

ArsenalJake Member+

Feb 11, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #994 ArsenalJake, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
    Wenger has been working with the same tools for years. He hasn't figured it out.

In a season where Chelsea, City and United all replaced their managers and are trying to figure it out, (and succeeding)Wenger attempted to seize an opportunity. He splashed some of that financial ability on Ozil, he secured Champions League football via the 4th place playoff, appeased all of us fans who don't know how to run a team, and went right back to what Arsene Knows Best.

And it was a good run. Arsene Knows Best bought us first place and hope. AKB put our thin squad in contention for 4 trophies yet again, and won us some great victories and some high times. AKB also brought us some tough defeats and some injuries to boot. AKB brought us Kim Kallstrom at a time when reinforcements were needed. AKB bet on Giroud and Bendtner and Sanogo to lead the line. AKB bet on Arteta and Flamini and Rosicky to become Wilshere and Ramsey and Walcott. Has the team bet on Wenger?

And now we're back to the same place we were last season. And the season before. Its a broken record.

Fool me once, Wenger, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times Mr. Wenger . . . I think the sentiment among the fan base is justified. If you're content with, "he'll figure things out" then I don't think you've been paying much attention to Arsenal Football Club, and I don't value your opinion.

Fifty repped this.
  20. Romfordray

Romfordray Member+

Oct 24, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goonerblog said it best. I think Wenger is is Clough at Forest. Everyone knows what should happen but no one actually wants to do anything within the club. That is why I said, Arsene has to do it himself. I think he will walk away after this season with the FA Cup in hand.

21. InTheSun

InTheSun Member+

Oct 20, 2005
    The Andes Mountains
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Honest question: At this stage, is anyone left here (and I'm addressing proper gooners only) that is still convinced we should stick it out with AW? I kinda like arse2mouse's response to the usual arguments:
    • you don’t get to ask, ‘okay, who should the next manager be?’, unless you were certain that a guy operating in Japan was 100% the correct choice last time around. Because none us were.
    • Likewise, ‘be careful what you wish for’ isn’t a business plan. Operating on that basis – in fear of a change which is coming down the tracks anyway – represents a cowardly abrogation of responsibility by the hierarchy
    • The other argument against change routinely made: “I don’t trust them to make the right choice”. Honestly, I’m not sure I trust them to tie their shoelaces. But I also don’t buy the idea that finding a good football manager, willing to accept a £7m pay cheque, at one of the highest profile clubs in the world, with a strong squad already in place, is some sort of insoluble Kobyashi Maru-style dilemma. Call Low. Call de Boer. Call Martinez. Don’t call Curbishley. Call Klopp. I bet they’d all pick up the phone.

22. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Oh, does he actually get to keep the cup?

23. DaPrince84

DaPrince84 Member+

Aug 22, 2001
    MD
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    thats too far

Clough got his club relegated and was an alcoholic. For all of Arsene's failings, its not that bad. Not even close.

24. danielh

danielh Member+

May 30, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Wenger out up(stairs).

25. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    People say this a lot. What do you want him to do upstairs? I think it would be incredibly hard for the club to move forward and for another manager to come in while Wenger is still casting a shadow from upstairs.

bigredfutbol repped this.