Where do we go from here? Post Euro 2012 thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by indestructible, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    The term preferred formation should be prohibited. It should be based on making the best use of the players on hand. The ideal coach for the NT is Ancelotti. He understands that. I hope that Prandelli has learned from this experience.

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Really wonder if Pirlo will be there in 2014? I doubt it....

3. Mario Balotelli's Belly

Jul 4, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

Pato, Neymar, not deadly? rofl.

4. Mario Balotelli's Belly

Jul 4, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yep. And just the amount of heartache we endured over the years I thought that trend would continue. I was actually really surprised when it went it. And elated:)

5. Mario Balotelli's Belly

Jul 4, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    yep.

6. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    One of the strengths of Pepe in the past. Not that I'm advocating a return mind you.

7. Jason Tilt

Jason Tilt Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Well said youre right I agree.

8. Jason Tilt

Jason Tilt Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Brazil in 1998 got trounced 3-0 yet won the world cup 4 years later so I dont think all is lost based on one game. But I like the idea's about a plan B after Pirlo. Maybe Prandelli did mess up by playing somre tired, injury prone players. IMO Balzaretti should have started the final for sure he had a great tournament and offered some attack at left back like Grosso 2006.

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This is true although France was playing on their home ground and had a fellow named Zidane.

10. Jason Tilt

Jason Tilt Member

Jul 7, 2012
    What about Spain's quality lol. They got two Zidane's in Xavi and Iniesta, not to mention Fabregas, and Silva:)

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    They are great too!

12. Jason Tilt

Jason Tilt Member

Jul 7, 2012
    And also lost to Italy. Spain beat the world champions at the euro, beat germany in the final, Holland in 2010 and beat a good Italy team at the 2012 world cup. Iniesta and Xavi can be compared to Zidane.

13. Jason Tilt

Jason Tilt Member

Jul 7, 2012
    euro cup rather

14. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Technically France didn't lose to Italy, the final was a draw in 2006 and Italy won the World Cup on penalties

Again in 2008 Spain advanced on penalties, it was a draw

Yes these go down as wins....however Italy was severly handicapped in the Final. Hate to have this thought always linger what could have been?

Can be compared? Yes they can. Are they in the same league? No they are not......some would argue not even close

15. Jason Tilt

Jason Tilt Member

Jul 7, 2012
    I know it goes down as a Draw, but they got eliminated. Get over it. Maybe they should have split the world cup then in 1994 and 2006 and have joint winners. Xavi and Iniesta not in the same league? Some would argue theyre just as good.

16. Jason Tilt

Jason Tilt Member

Jul 7, 2012
    And dont make excuses '' Italy severely handicapped in the final '' Bad luck. I hate sore losers. And spain didnt have niggling injuries? If we were good enough to top our group we would have avoided this as we would have had more days rest to recover. Bad luck.

Dont make excuses for a 4 nil thumping. Reduced to ten men, injuries or not. We got severely outplayed. Spain should of had a penalty too.

17. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

well it was unfair to make a comeback with 30 min. to go in a final, against the best team in the world. The thing is we'll never know, there were chances that could've been goals. being reduced to 10 men by force was something i had never seen in my 30 years of watching futbol...let alone in the final.

18. Jason Tilt

Jason Tilt Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Agreed but the fact is we were still down 2-0 before this and spain should have been awarded a penalty for handball in the box. We can't nor shouldn't make excuses.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italy was clearly outplayed from the start. There was no attack, no flair, no attacking plays , no chances, no midfield and no defense. No one likes to blame the GK for some reason but everyone that day from the back to the top was at fault and should all share the blame.

Where do we go from here? The way I see it is we have clubs either put more of a restriction on foreign players and develop younger talented players or field a team of foreigners. If the clubs are all stacked with foreign players, there is no way a younger Italian player will develop. Prandelli said after the final we are a nation who is relying too much on the older veterans and sooner or later , it will catch up to us. We need to start concentrate on the younger talents and develop them. Out with the old and in with the new. "Largo ai giovani"!

ArtemioD repped this.
  20. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Who are you, and what are you talking about? Our first match at Euro 2012 showed that when fit and defensively disciplined, Italy can limit Spain and even hurt them on the counter. Spain were better in the final, no doubting that, but what you call excuses are real factors we should be mindful of in evaluating the game. Chiellini, Motta, De Rossi were unfit, Marchisio and others were gassed, and we played in 10 for the last third of the game. Italy have to close the gap against Spain, who are clearly the world's best team, but 4-0 is not a true reflection of the gap between the teams.

21. Jason Tilt

Jason Tilt Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Who am I? who are are you? Read the question as to what I was answering. He had this to say

Yes these go down as wins....however Italy was severly handicapped in the Final. Hate to have this thought always linger what could have been?

That to me is nothing but an excuse and taking away Spains win for them. I said Spain beat Italy 212, he answered me that. So what 2012 doesnt count does it because we were'' handicapped ''

Real factors evaluating the game? Bad luck. Every team picks up injuries and picks up knocks, it's part of the game. Players were gassed were they? nothing but more excuses. Spain played in the tournament to didnt they? you think their players wouldnt be feeling it? If we topped the group we would have been in a better position. What if Villa and Puyol were fit?

Stop with the excuses you and everyone else sound like sore losers and youre taking away other teams accomplishments.

22. Pietro Calcio

Pietro Calcio Member+

Jul 28, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Ma che cazzo dice? Questo finocchio qua....Jason Tilt lol?!? Ecco! Sono Jason Tilt! Lo so tutto di calcio!.....che strunzo?...vai a guardare ESPN e soccer lol!

Sempre repped this.
  23. itaNapoli

itaNapoli Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Saying the team wasn't affected by having only 2 days rest isn't being a sore loser, it was a real concern and never should have happened. Even Prandelli said to De Rossi "eravamo cotti stasera", this is a forum and people know they can't change the outcome of the game, but they can vent their frustrations. Imagine if they played the Super Bowl with the three or four days of rest in between then you would hear Real whining and complaining, the American sports radio would have record numbers calling in, every player and coach would be complaining.talk about sore losers.

Sempre repped this.
  24. Rob_420

Rob_420 Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Montreal
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    You can go through what ifs in any match.

Yes we were outclassed by Spain on that particular day no doubt and credit to them for playing their A+ game. In soccer sometimes scorelines could be harsh or unindicative. If you watch Spain/Germany matches from 2008 and 2010 you could argue Germany were outplayed even more than we were in the final. But Spain weren't so clinical but they defended superbly and controlled the match. Germany had 0 chances in the 2008 Final and a couple of good chances in SA, but they only lost 1-0 both times. Against us they were clinical and precise to score the first two goals both of which they took advantage of tired defenders. The game was on ice after Motta went down. No one is saying we would have levelled if we had 11 but it would have been interesting see how it would have turned out. My guess we make it 2-1 and get caught out late for a 3rd and lose 3-1.

Pietro Calcio and itaNapoli repped this.
  25. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I've never seen you post in this forum before. I have no idea who you are coming in here with these brash proclamations. You're not an authority on Italian football, as far as posters on this board are concerned. Take a breather, work your way into the conversation. We all have a pretty good idea of how Italy did in the final and at Euro 2012. You have not added an iota of insight with your "no excuses" rant.

Pietro Calcio and itaNapoli repped this.