Where do we go from here? Post Euro 2012 thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by indestructible, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metallicaband

metallicaband Member

Jun 11, 2004
    People already mentioned that Pirlo's game doesn't depend on pace so he might still be able to shine till 35, Brasil's WC not being in the hot summer is also a good sign.

Prandelli MUST find a good solution to replace Pirlo though, the current team is depending on him way too much, in 2 years no one knows what will happen e.g Pirlo being in a very bad form, God forbid getting injured or maybe he'll recognize that it's time for him to hang up his boots since he can't give the Azzurri his all..etc

There must be at least a very good plan B/replacement.

2. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    People are getting confused between tactics and game management.
    Mourinho is the best game manager in the world. Probably ever. His motivation, preparation, sideline presence and sub management in-game are sublime.
    Mourinho is a CRAP tactician. He has no advanced ideas of tactics whatsoever.
    Prandelli is a fine tactician, nor a genius but very adequate. His game management is spotty.

3. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I don't think small size should be a concern for Prandelli, and it hasn't really been so far. I know he's said that he'd like to start getting a look at Verratti and Insigne already, and to be honest small players should be in vogue now that Spain have captured three tournaments in a row, most of their players hover around 5'6 and 5'7.

4. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    + let's not forget the man had a stroke!! He just started getting back into first team action in April, and he was a factor in this tournament. Hopefully at 31, more maturity and a good healthy season behind him he can be influential. He's not done and he has skill in dem boots!

5. Anthony212

Anthony212 Member

Aug 8, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  6. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    For me the most important thing is form. If Pirlo's output is just as good in two years as it is now, then there is no question. It's his team. However, if his form is not as good, even if it becomes average we have to look somewhere else because you'll only be delaying the developement of others players. We saw this with Cannavaro from 2006-2010. It's important not to repeat the mistakes of the past.

Cassano today is a shadow of the player he was in his youth, and also very far away from the Cassano that lit serie A on fire with Samp. I have no doubts over his skill but I don't know that he has the discipline anymore to be a true professional and lose weight, improve stamina, gain strength etc.

Maybe i'm being harsh on hm because of the stroke, but we need a player in his role that can do 90 minutes. I would love for him to prove me wrong

7. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cassano will be fine...he is the most exciting italian ive seen in a while. he wasnt 100% this tournament, he will be back

8. metallicaband

metallicaband Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Pirlo: “I hope to have the strength to reach the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.”

The classy guy he is, he'll probably know and retire if he saw that he couldn't give his all to the Azzurri by then.

9. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I completely disagree with this. What he did with Inter against Chelsea and Barcelona was nothing short of superb. I would attribute both of those victories to excellent tactics and player selections, the Chelsea tie in particular.

Maybe calling Prandelli a poor tactician was harsh, but it's definitely not his strong point as a manager.

10. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Agreed. We have to stop relying so much on Pirlo, as amazing as he is. We need to have a plan B regardless of his longevity, because it makes us a less limited squad from a tactical perspective. I'm ok with him coming to Brazil if he is in form, but we need to start finding midfield success with other players.

11. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He used tactics largely in place in Serie A already by many other teams. Nothing really outstanding. What the players say must sum it up, he's really good at getting them to like him and inspires them to really want to work hard for him. He's a good "sports" psychologist.

12. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He also got injured and Inter threw him under the bus after that.

13. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Substitutions are only one small component of tactics.

Just to understand, who is a good tactician to you?

14. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    this is not directed to me, but conte is a good tactician but his subs usually suck lol

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  15. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    good example actually

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We know it won't ever happen and even though the national team had 7 Juventini on the team, I always wondered how a (a top) club team would be form the nucleus of the national team and what results they would give? Don't think I've seen it since the days of Bearzot and before then il Grande Torino who had 9 starters and maybe even a little bit with Sacchi and his Milan players but it would be interesting to see if a national team coach would start an entire club team (not including foreigners) in a given tournament.

17. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I think that what Prandelli needed was tournament experience as a manager, because tactics and in game changes are so different from a long season. And I think he got it in this tournament. If he learns from it, we will be better off.

18. Iaquinta

Iaquinta Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Guus Hiddink.

I wanted to precise that I don't think Mourinho is the best tactician of all time, but he is no slouch in that department.

19. dnesH

dnesH Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Italy need to play using width. with 4-3-1-2, we hardly stretched our opponents defence.Everything was predictable. 3-5-2 was awsum.We strectehd both Croatia and Spain in group games.Against England, Germany and Sapin(final) our attack sucked.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I'd been saying that our attack sucked since the first round and everyone jumped on me. If anyone knows the game, they can plainly see that our forwards are or were having trouble scoring goals. I see two options. Either clubs have got to either start developing younger talented forwards who can put the ball in the back of the net or naturalize foreigners and put them on the national team. I mean if all the clubs keep employing foreign players in the skilled positions offensive midfielders/forwards, then of course the national team will suffer because there isn't that many to choose from. If that is the case, we may as well start putting more foreign players on the national team. They already did that with Camoranesi, Motta and Amauri so I don't see why others can't come forth. I've always been against clubs signing too many foreign players to tell you the truth because I always felt the national team would suffer because of it and we have seen in the past how too many foreigners becomes a problem with the development of the young Italian player . If they do that already on the club level however, they may as well start doing it on the national team level because if you can't beat them, join them....

21. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    We need a target man. Someone like a Destro or Gabbiadini need to step up. I picture Balo playing off one of them, with someone like Giovinco behind both

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not yet so sure about Giovinco. He looks like a good small time player but not really ready for the national team. Maybe if he gets more of a chance to shine with Juventus or at a bigger club once again, he might gain more confidence but I don't think playing at the smaller clubs will ever make him into a leader. Just my opinion.....

23. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Giovinco was one of the best players in the league last year. He's underrated

24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Don't get me wrong I like Giovinco and he was good and I thought he was really good with Empoli and scored some nice goals but he never impressed me with Juventus. Its one thing playing well for smaller clubs like Parma and Empoli but its an entirely different story when you play for a big club like Juve. I mean obviously, he would have played more in the Euros had he been impressive in training. I hope he come through but it remains to be seen what he can or will do when he is playing with the bigger boys.

25. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Juventus was having a shit season when Gio was there. He would thrive in the current environment