When will MLS get respect from soccer fans in the US?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by ejgrownarseman, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Wazzu Gunner

Wazzu Gunner Member

Mar 21, 2008
    Ballard, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

whoosh

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell that to some of the posters here in the latter camp...

LordRobin repped this.
  3. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am a MLS Snob for one reason. I have an emotional attachment. It has nothing to do with not liking Euro soccer. I just don't have a team and didn't watch it till I was 20.
    Like someone said it is my personal preference to not care one bit about any other soccer league but MLS.

My first Bruins game was 1982 when I was 5
    First Red Sox game was 1984 when I was 7
    First Celtics game was 1985 when I was 8
    First Pats game was 1985 when I was 8
    First Revs game was 1996 when I was 18.

Those teams above I get to go to game regularly. I get to watch every game. I follow them everyday. They are in my DNA.

4. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watch European Soccer (primarily the English Premiere League) over MLS for one very simple reason. Since we do not have a team in San Diego I experience both through the medium of television and the Premiere League is a far better product on tv. This is not just the actual matches themselves, but the history and the culture behind football in England which adds depth to the story lines taking place every weekend.

Now if there was a team here things might be different. HD television is amazing and can help bring clarity to the action, while a pub can help recreate some of the crowd atmosphere and banter nothing replaces being there. But alas being there means driving up to the s#*! h*Le that is Los Angeles and supporting a team from there (something against the DNA of any San Diegoite, as Ron Burgundy calls us) so I am left with watching it only on television and through that medium there is no comparison.

5. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would suggest you wander down to Tijuana and watch the Xolos then. Very high quality and at least you're not in LA.

6. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Been
    Been dying to but hard to get tickets online. And for a gringo who doesn't speak Spanish a little intimidating trying to get tickets the day of. But made a promise to myself I would make a match down there this spring. Been cool seeing Tijuana get some positive press for once.

7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their home game vs Corinthians (Club World Champions) should be a good one. I believe is March 6th (probably sold out).

8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS should have stabbed one of the other leagues on their first day, then they would get respect....

9. Unmarked

Unmarked Member

Aug 31, 2012
    The real answer is MLS should already be in San Diego and another 100 markets in the US with pro/rel. MLS is in only 18 different markets and many soccer fans do not have a team to call their own. When these neutrals have a choice between watching MLS or the EPL on TV, most will choose the EPL. MLS is missing out on a lot of fans. Nothing will change because the priority of MLS is to protect the owners at all costs, even if it means slower growth.

Boloni86 repped this.
  10. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nobody respond...

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

RedRover and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  12. Unmarked

Unmarked Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Can anyone name a city outside of the US and larger than San Diego that doesn't have a team that has a chance to play in the top division?

13. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Does San Diego even have any professional soccer teams?

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure about chance, but here are some large cities (bigger than San Diego) with out a D1 team

Delhi
    Bangalore
    Hyderabad
    Ahmedabad
    Chennai
    Surat
    Jaipur

I am sure China has a bunch more :p

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  15. Inca Roads

Inca Roads Member+

Nov 22, 2012
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Also worth mentioning is Berlin, size aside.

16. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Can anybody name how many posts it took to put Unmarked on my ignore list?

17. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just died inside a little more reading this post.

Jasonma repped this.
  18. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know this is a sore point for MLS fans, and I totally understand why they don't have Rel/Pro. What investor is going to want to pour money into a team that is not guaranteed to be in the top league.

Having said that I think that the MLS could make it work. Just 2 divisions, and no trap door at the bottom of the 2nd division. One of the biggest appeals of the Premiere league over MLS is relegation promotion, and I think it could truly change MLS. Now I know it will never happen and it's just a dream but I think if the league really wanted to get fans like me Rel/Pro could do it. (Or move a team to San Diego :D

19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Pro/Rel American style?

Every year cities/owners that want an MLS team make a bid to have an MLS team (Stadium expansion fee, etc.)

Then the team that finishes last in the General table is sold to the highest bidder and the team is relocated to that town. ;) :p

20. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me clue you in on something. Very few Americans who tune into Barcelona vs. Who Cares are doing so in the hope that Barca loses.

------RM

21. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    There are 9 professional sports leagues in the Canadian and US markets plus an additional 2 professional soccer leagues which do not have the downside of a relegation. If you were an owner with those choices would you invest in a pro/rel league? Would the Sounders pay a $50 million dollar franchise fee when they can just promote themselves? Promotion/Relegation is too unstable an environment to attract new owners.

22. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly! I think some people have forgotten the point of this thread: that MLS is not getting respect from American soccer fans who would rather watch Barca beat up on some mid-table no-hope Spanish squad than watch Seattle and LA battle it out for the top spot in the MLS West. If that behavior doesn't constitute "snobbery", what does?

------RM

23. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I watch the games and think "wow, those guys are good" instead of "wow, I'm a better athlete than these scrubs."

24. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think your opinion of your athletic abilities is most likely.... optimistic.

When Saturday Comes and Jasonma repped this.
  25. DIMITAR BERBATOV!

Aug 2, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At risk of sounding like a complete tool...

I was an all-league sprinter and I've been able to dunk since I was a junior in high school.

Not really the point though. When I watch the NBA or NFL, I am in awe of the level of athleticism.

When I watch MLS, I feel like most of the guys just look like average joes. I watch sports to be wowed by incredible feats of athleticism. There have been some great goals in MLS and some great individual players, but by and large the level of play is not that impressive. The difference is especially glaring when you compare it against the NFL and NBA, which are probably the highest level of competition of any sports league in the world.

MLS is more like low division 1 college sports. Like watching a non-BCS conference basketball or football team. I don't watch those sports much either because it's a waste of my time. I want to see the best. MLS doesn't provide that.