When will MLS get respect from soccer fans in the US?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by ejgrownarseman, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean glory hunters? lol. of course there are glory hunters.

why is man city so big in the US all of a sudden... I mean seriously..its a joke.

2. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    most college sports fans in the SEC never went to college.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never said Valencia was poor, I said they didn't stand a chance against Real/Barco 75% of the time (if not more). So I'm not interested in watching. You said to be "true fan" I should watch anyway because of the skill on display, etc. If that's the case then under the same logic "true fans" of basketball should all be expected to watch the Globetrotters.

Or, again, maybe your "true fan" definition leaves something to be desired...

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People like to make fun of the Spanish teams because they get destroyed by Barca and Real Madrid, yet the Spanish clubs win Europe League titles (I guess the comeback usually is because Italian and English clubs don't care about that competition).

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they did that against the Heat, Bulls, Clippers and Lakers, I bet many "true fans" would watch.

It would be like the Olympic games USA vs everyone else.

6. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Globetrotters dont play by the rules of basketball. they walk and break the rules of the game all the time.

apples to oranges.

But when ABC decides what games of the NBA are shown on big holidays...they dont show the last placed teams. they show the top teams. doesnt always work out since injuries and other unforseen things happen but that thier goal anyway to show the top teams and top stars of the game.

during NFL football sundays they show EPL on sundays on fox. why would they do that? to show crap that no one wants to see?

7. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    never said true fan. Said fan of soccer.

You are a fan of a brand. fine. I am too. I am a fan of the brand of tottenham and my local soccer team.

I am also a fan of the game. So I watch some of the best and worst of it because I love the game.

8. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry to bust your bubble but it is boring as hell. I don't care how good their passing is if I already know what the outcome will be before the game even starts.

jayd8888, LordRobin and Jasonma repped this.
  9. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? What "brand" am I a fan of given what I've told you? How does that apply to watching a random lower league FA Cup game?

Your bullshit talk about being a fan of a brand and also a fan of the game is ridiculous. Fans of the game come in all flavors. Some watch for the amazing technical skill, some watch for the competition, some watch for the story line. All I said is I prefer a more competitive match at the expense of quality instead of a higher quality match at the expense of competitiveness.

10. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude we could make a killing if we bet and get the right score line for every game.

Mucky repped this.
  11. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It isnt boring if you are a fan of soccer. beautiful passing, precise vision, 24 straight passes to a goal. its the game in perfection.

Then again I also love a sluddge fight between two teams that defend like hell and couldnt hit the broadside of the barn with a pass. because sometimes thats the game too. even at its most ugly.

12. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL. perfect. how did barca do last week? anyone?

13. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, Im going to need to head back to the future soon cause my current sports almanac only goes up to 2015.:D After that though I'll split it 65/35 with ya. :thumbsup:

14. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    cubbies beat florida for the world series.

Kejsare and thomas19064 repped this.
  15. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck with that one..... they're both in the National League.:rolleyes:

16. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tampa bay will rebrand to the Florida Rays ;)

17. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I usually enjoy it when some random soapbox hero prattles on about what it means to be a fan. But this off season has dragged on long enough and the joke no longer amuses. Spursfan, I appreciate your form of humor, but it's time to change the tune. BTW, you should take your act over to the Spurs board. I have never seen you post there, and I'm sure they would welcome the comic relief.

jayd8888 and Jasonma repped this.
  18. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My point was not that the Globetrotters were the best in the world, my point is that Barcelona fanboys watching Barca against any Spanish team other than Real Madrid (and this year, Atletico) are watching a glorified exhibition. Barca so outclasses the rest of La Liga that you watch them in the hope they'll put on a clinic, not that you'll see a good game.

In the Champions League, sure. I don't buy that argument for Spanish league play.

------RM

19. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do want to watch the greatest of our time... in a competitive match. I loved watching Jordan in the NBA Championship. I had no interest in watching him beat up on the Golden State Warriors. Similarly, if Barcelona is playing for the UCL title, wild horses couldn't keep me away from the TV screen. But I'm not interested in watch Barca wipe the field with Mallorca.

That's the issue here: people who would rather watch an uncompetitive match featuring one European superclub over a competitive MLS match. These people aren't real soccer fans, or they'd choose the better game to watch. (IMHO, of course.)

------RM

Kejsare repped this.
  20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fuck yes they are, and that is the point, sure Real and Barcelona are the two best teams (lets ignore Athletico 1 good year); but the other Spanish teams are also full of stars and do very well in European competitions.

Is not like Barcelona is playing a bunch of J-League/Liga MX/MLS/Moldovian type teams; they are playing against some 18 very good teams that would kick the ass of all teams in most leagues around the world.

Barca outclasses 99% of all the teams in the world (they don't always win ask Chelsea last year). The Globetrotters do not dominate all other teams. and the Liga teams are not the Washington Generals, if they were then all other leagues are a buch of High School teams (some in the HS in the USA may beat the Generals).

That is why it is a dumb comparison.

I know the point you are trying to make Jasonma makes the point much better, some people prefer lower quality with more competitive games.

That is cool, but some people like to watch Michael Jordan rape some Angolan Team in the Olympic games.

21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, and I've got no problem with that. But the moronic statement that I'm not a fan of the game because I don't like to watch Barca kick the crap out of whatever minnow got put on their schedule this week was made in this thread. I had to point out how idiotically wrong that was.

22. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No, they just win 100% of their games. Barca is currently batting 92.5%. Close enough.

This isn't about the quality of the opposition. It's about my not wanting to know the result of the game before I start watching.

------RM

23. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that is the point I make (I did not make any of the not a fan comments BTW) that they are not playing minnows; they make everyone look like a minnow (thanks to the TV Money and all that).

Put Barca in any league in the World (as long as they keep their revenues) and they will make most teams look like minnows.

Your problem is that Barca and Real do not share their revenues with the other Spanish teams, therefore they can afford much better players (2 best in the world) than the other teams in the world and the Spanish teams have to make do with less money and can only beat up on teams from non top 10 leagues.

But as you said Valencia is not a shitty team, Athletico Madrid is not a Minnow, yet tell me how did those 2 teams do in their games vs. Real and Barcelona?

BTW if Real beats Man United say 3-0 over all, will that make man U a minnow?

BTW the real from the begging of the season will lose to Man U, the Real from last week, dang Man U better watch out.

3rd BTW Would not a soccer fan want to watch the best players in the world?

I guess there is the World cup we can always watch the big powers beat up on us minnows at the World cup.

24. Darkwing McQuack

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Untrue, they win 98% of the time. They have over 20,000 wins and something like around 350 loses.:thumbsup:

25. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again you are ignoring the facts,

The quality of the opposition is important, sure a game with a bunch of ten year old kids can be very competitive full of drama and great to watch and it is fine if people only want to watch 10 year old kids play.

But like I posted before, people watch Barcelona because they are the best team in the world with the best players (at least the best 1) in the world.

The Globetrotters are not the best in the world.

So it is fine if you want competitive leagues, I recommend the Brazilian league, high quality and very competitive, but do not shit on the Spanish League (like you always do) because they have 2 bad ass teams and a bunch of very good teams.

You do not want to see Messi/CR9 play that is fine, do not watch them.