When will MLS get respect from soccer fans in the US?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by ejgrownarseman, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same here I love the game so when watching a lower league it can be fun to see them play.

Tottenham is my team because I started to love the team when I was young. (youth often has a lot to do with the connection part) and as for the local team well that makes sense as well.

But to not enjoy the game at its highest level AT ALL EVER makes no sense.

I know some people refuse to watch NFL because they love college football and have THEIR team that THEY LOVE because its thier home team or alma mater or whatever. Once again they dont love football but they love a brand.

nothing wrong with that at all.

2. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, no, I guess I'm not interested in the sport in some sort of abstract sense. To me, being a Barcelona fan makes as much sense as being a Yankees or Alabama fan. Sure, they're arguably the most succesful teams in their respective sports, but I'm not going to support them just for that reason.

3. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Refuse" is a strong word. "Indifference" is more accurate. I don't break out in seizures if a Barcelona game is on at the bar. But, I couldn't care less what Messi has done recently.

jayd8888, LordRobin and Jasonma repped this.
  4. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    constantly?

once again NOT LISTENING.

AT ALL. meaning that you dont have to watch these games to be a fan of soccer but to say you refuse to do so is a whole other story.

some people call it magic euro pixie dust and totally disrespect so called euro snobs who want to watch the highest level. Its ridiculous.

Its the game at its highest level and if you love the game for what it is you would probably watch it if you loved the game.

If you prefer a brand of soccer. well ok thats fine too. but you prefer a brand not the game itself.

Once again this is why I love going to an NASL game too. Its fun to watch the game. I have sat after my stupid adult league games and watched two other teams of completely out of shape amatuers play. why? because I simply love the game.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well as someone pointed out, fan is overused.

I am a fan of a Mexican D2 team and the two Chicago teams for club football, but my European team is Barcelona for sure, so yes I an just like a Yankee "fan" in that sense, is hard not to like the best team and the best player in the world, but I would not really call my self a fan of Barcelona.

Edit: I guess I am also a fan of lower level/"bad" soccer since I follow Ascenso MX more than Liga MX and outside the FIRE I tend to watch more NASL than MLS.

I guess that after watching Barca play all other soccer is bad soccer, so what is the difference between D1 and D2 :p

6. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    right this spells it out perfectly.

I have only watched maybe one or two barca matches in the past 6 months but I do because I want to see the greatest player of my generation play the game.

Why would any fan of soccer not want to watch the greatest of our time? Who knows...some basketball people hated jordan. why? who knows??? he was great to watch.

I want to watch the best play the game just as much as I want to watch anyone play the game really. But to refuse to watch out of loyalty to a brand means you arent really a fan of the game but a fan of (championship, your team, MLS or whatever...which is fine...good. we need that. but you wont get much from people who are footy fans)

ejgrownarseman repped this.
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do you live in Hawaii?

Most la Liga games are on after 10am Central time/ 8 am Pacific time.

With Real/Barca games usually starting after 12 central time.

8. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because he's a guy from another country playing for a team in a foreign city I've never been to in a league that I know nothing about other than the names of the two top teams in the league.

LordRobin and ejgrownarseman repped this.
  9. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exactly. this is what I am saying. You need a connection to a brand not the game.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because I'm not interested in watching a game where the result is predetermined more than 75% of the time. Real or Barca against anyone in La Liga other than themselves? Boring because Real/Barca is almost certainly going to win. Man U vs. more than half of the EPL teams? Yawn, there's no competition there, the only interest is how long it takes Man u. to put the other team out of their misery.

I honestly couldn't tell you the last time I watched a full 90 minutes of one of the top teams outside the Champions League. Its literally been years since I watched one of them for a full 90 when they weren't playing Blackburn or it was a CL game.

11. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boloni86, LordRobin and Jasonma repped this.
  12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, the 1995-1996 NBA season must of been very boring for most non Chicago fans.

13. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right because you find good soccer boring apparently? I mean tottenham man u this year were two of the best soccer matches I ve watched.

There are all kinds of great ones in the leagues.

Boring? Watching great beautiful soccer is not boring. watching barca pass around other teams and score wonderful goals is NOT boring if you love the game.

Sometimes a nil nil game is the greatest but sometimes a 5-0 thrashing can be glorious to watch when it is orchestrated by the best you have ever seen.

(or whne celtic almost beat barca twice....glorious!)

14. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahaha so we are down to cherry picking games and finding instances where the game isnt perfect...this should be easy enough.

watching celtic fight and defend like dogs in the CL to get a result against barca is glorious.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a Sonics fan, it wasn't bad. ;)

16. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why being a Barca or Man U fan is so much fun for many of their fans. Unless they're playing in the CL, there is a relatively small chance of being disappointed when you watch them play. It's very easy to be a fan of a team that is currently 18-1-1 with a +43 goal differential.

I don't know what to call that, but "sporting" it's not.

Boloni86 and Jasonma repped this.
  17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Celta de Vigo vs Espanyol?

Not superstar players, but many very good players, the passing and playing style similar to Barca/Real Madrid but not as efficient or accurate, much more drama.

18. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And for every one of those Barca blows out five other teams that never had a chance

19. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So basketball fans must all need to watch the Globetrotters to be "real" fans then. because those matches aren't at all competitive, but they do amazing things with the ball so if you love the game it must be the pinnacle of the sport.

Or maybe, just maybe, your definition of "true fan" isn't applicable to anyone but yourself? Could that maybe be the truth here? :rolleyes:

LordRobin repped this.
  20. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    YES! atletico madrid, valencia. plenty of good teams to enjoy watching in La Liga.

Love watching QPR beat chelsea 1-0. always great results to find all throughout europe with some of theb est footy you have ever seen.

its great! I think MLS has awesome games. I love it but I can recognize it isnt the best footy you have seen. but it is getting better and I respect its niche in the soccer world.

But just because it is an inferior product doesnt mean it doesnt have my respect for what it is.

It is that people absolutely disrespect the top teams and top leagues because well I still cant figure it out. It seems to be because they are certain they will win...which is not true. plenty of times these teams have struggled.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this point I can agree somewhat with you, fortunately for them they only have to play Barca and Real Madrid 4 times (more if they face them in Copa Del Rey or European competitions).

It can be like cheering for the Bull at a bull fight (and I do) for the smaller teams. So maybe the real soccer fans are those that follow medium – bottom table teams. They know they will probably lose, but they still go to the games to cheer their team (the few of them that go).

22. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder how many of those "true fans" would maintain their loyalties if their team ended up mid-table in a hypothetical European league?

Jasonma repped this.
  23. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean I have been a fan of tottenham since 1994...so I have watched my team be really bad and hit the highest of heights. its great!

so as a fan of the TOTTENHAM brand its great.

As for the soccer I mean admittedly we have always been a forward playing team which makes it fun.

I mean blackburn won the dang league!

24. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Again Barcelona is not playing the Generals, they are playing some of the best teams in the world and making them look like the Generals, there is a difference.

The Globetrotters can't do what they do to an NBA team, Barca does it to most of the worlds best teams.

25. Spursfan1

Spursfan1 Member+

Sep 7, 2010
    Atlanta
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    exaclty. if you think valencia is poor you would be highly mistaken but real madrid just blasted them 5-0. does that happen every time absolutely NOT. since real madrid is in 3rd and has struggled in la liga this year.