When will MLS get respect from soccer fans in the US?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by ejgrownarseman, Jan 18, 2013.

1. PaulieMM

PaulieMM Member

Jun 29, 2008
    It's quite an uphill battle to get respect isn't it. When you look back at other sports and their biggest moments of recent time which brought everyone together I primarily think of the steroid race that involved McGuire, Bonds, and Sosa in baseball.

Hockey seemed to have something special when the Rangers and Devils got together and had some good old fashioned fighting. I'm biased in that one by the way...

When I think of basketball I can't help but think of Jordan's dominance for so many years! Everyone had an opinion on it.

Football seems to bring a memorable moment every super bowl whether it was a boring game or not, the hype is always so high for the game, the commercials, and the half time show. Everyone talks about it the next day and sometimes the next week.

That interest that people have in football is what soccer has to shoot for.... easier said than done.

I don't know for sure how to get that respect for the MLS. Maybe through marquee names... well that barely worked with Becks. Maybe through enough marketing that makes people notice the games more. Maybe the national team has to win... it got people talking back in 2010.

Who knows for sure but I think SERIOUS rivalries need to be developed in the MLS. I'm talking rivalries that match up to Yankees - Mets, or Dodgers - Giants. Dislike between ownership like the Redskins and Giants. Negativity.... Yes... but it gets people to watch, and when people watch interest is drawn. It's a domino effect, with that interest comes respect.

2. Mstars96

Mstars96 Member

Jul 13, 2003
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why are you assuming that I want the cap lifted to 100million? but it is to low and has to go up gradually.

3. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The cap will continue to increase. It probably won't go up as quickly as fans want, though.

4. Mstars96

Mstars96 Member

Jul 13, 2003
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When was last time the cap was raised? I believe this year hasn't changed.

5. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I think it goes up 5% annually under the CBA agreement.

If I'm remembering that 5% number correctly, that would mean the cap went up by approx. $140,000

6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Should be 145K increase to 2,955k. There's still one mandatory increase year left so we will hit 3 million next year.

Boloni86 repped this.
  7. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Kind of an example, I saw a thread there today suggesting that Charlie Daniels should be on the US Mens team. While that's not by far the worse post you will see in either the YA or USMNT forums, it shows that neither place is good for getting good information or well thought out posts.

8. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This typo is awesome :)

9. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Charlie Daniels?

10. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It's funny. While I was writing the post I was thinking make sure you write Davies instead of Daniels. It obviously didn't work. If Davies had sold his soul to the devil maybe he would be able to keep his speed after the accident. :p

11. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would Charlie Daniels like soccer, though?

12. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    When I was in my teens I loathed CSKA Hockey because they "recruited" - which then meant, "join or else" - the top Soviet hockey players and essentially became three fourth of the Soviet national hockey team. They obviously had very little competition for the Soviet title and won pretty much every Soviet title there was to win. Every year.

I hated that (compared to the NHL, which was always competitive with its playoff structure) and hated everyone who actually liked CSKA (aka the Red Army Sports Club).

Hating the club, btw, did not mean hating the players like Valery Kharlamov, who were like Messi on skates.

13. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He would after hanging out with me and my buddies. The game is strong in the South Charlie. Redneck soccer soN!

14. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *Next on TLC and Animal Planet: Redneck Soccer*

*Honey Boo Boo passes to Turtle Man who passes back to the Gator Boys, who then shoot, and score!*

CeltTexan repped this.
  15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint Mathis earns a corner. Brad Davis finds Troy Dayek on the back post who heads it down into Dempsey's path for the score. Real talk.

16. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    I'm not sure rivalries can be "developed" -- rather I think they evolve over time.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think MLS wants to prove you wrong.

18. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the controversy is "rivalry evolution" versus "intelligent rivalry design"?

------RM

gremio1903, Jasonma and KensingtonSC repped this.
  19. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Yes. Rivalries only took 6 days to be constructed.

20. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    You'll have to ask Huss how long it took to construct the rivalries thread, but I would imagine it didn't take 6 days.

21. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Heretic.

22. itcheyness

itcheyness Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *pulls gun*

ALL TRUE BELIEVERS KNOW IT TOOK FIVE!!!!!

23. gremio1903

gremio1903 Member+

Aug 10, 2011
    Uruguaiana, RS (BRA) [last: Rockville, MD]
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    The league took six days, not rivalries. Everybody knows that the rivalries started after Eve ate the Big Apple. Since then, any team related to NY City cannot go back to the Gardens of Eden, you know, the places where trophies are...

24. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Don't worry. A new Adu thread sprung up over this weekend.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/threads/adu-by-the-numbers.1982664/page-3