When to change clubs?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Megagol18, Mar 19, 2012.

1. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. I found some videos I took when my now-14 year old was 7. Vic is much better than I was.

2. rhrh

rhrh Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Apologies Vic, but you do sound obsessed - granted, I see that you live in Ireland so perhaps I am judging obsession on a US level LOL.

What I suggest for you and your son, and his mother for that matter:
    - Encourage him to play
    - Encourage him to experiment
    - Encourage him to read up on soccer
    - Encourage him to watch soccer
    - Encourage him to practice when he gets the chance

I see things my son is doing wrong, and make decisions as to which ones to mention, trying to keep it to one or at most two suggestions. Interestingly, he is one of the kids pictured for the headline story on Topdrawersoccer.com at the moment (not the one with the ball though). What I see in his progression from finding soccer an opportunity to get outside and mess around and not have to do homework or read a book, to that picture being on a national site, is that he has found a great love for soccer, a desire to play soccer or train for it for up to 15 hours per week or more, and wants to do well for HIMSELF. He daily finds soccer games on TV to watch, after doing his homework or while eating dinner. And we are in the US, where games on TV are hard to find.

You can do other things like get some speed, agility, quickness training for your son. You can have him watch pro soccer and have HIM tell you what the PROS are doing wrong (it is lots of fun). The videos as you say are really just for family, and the life of a child is full of ups and downs, just like it is for us adults. It is great you are trying to help him, but it is not a life-changer to stay at a club that might not be the best for him at age 8, UNLESS there is verbal or physical abuse of children involved.

3. VicDog

VicDog New Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    I don't live in Ireland. I'm just asking questions. You know the answers b/c you;ve already been through this. I am just figuring it all out as I go. If you notice, I came here to ASK if I should worry. The answer seems to be "no." awesome, that's what I am trying to understand, that's all.

As for your list, it's a great list, and my son does all those things. We DVR games and he will just randomly switch on a game to watch. Anytime he goes outside he is kicking a ball around.

This last week of practice I have seen dramatic improvement in his work ethic. I think he is starting to get that his place in the games is determined by how hard he works in practice. I love seeing him do that because it so easily translates to his schoolwork. I view soccer as one big life lesson, but I also recognize that my son has a passion for the game, not dissimilar from the passion I had playing music when I was young.