When to change clubs?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Megagol18, Mar 19, 2012.

1. VicDog

VicDog New Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    reading through this thread, this is definitely true. My family and baby momma are Irish and we go to Ireland every year. This past summer the kids were there for 5 weeks and there wasn't a single day that my son wasn't outside with the neighborhood kids playing informal games...for hours on end sometimes, in the rain, didn't matter. I was so happy he got that because at home in LA, he only plays at school or at club practices.

2. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    On being big, quickness thrump big every time. Evidently his coach can't see past big. Yet he plays your son at a back where he probably is facing big and fast. Once your son wins the ball does the coach give him the freedom to attack? If you don't know tell your son to dribble and not just pass the ball or kick it up field.

Work with him on beating his first defender after he wins the ball. Then he can look to pass. Beating his first defender creates space for team mates. Then after he passes the ball have him continue moving up in the flow of play hoping for a return pass from the guy he passed to or from another player.

When the coach sees that he might get the idea he could do well in the attack. If he says don't do that he is an amature.

Also tell your son if his team loses the ball to fall back behind the ball funneling towards the center of the field.

So work with him on beating his first defender 1 v 1

Good luck to him and you. Love your kids not every kid has a good father

3. VicDog

VicDog New Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    That's great advice. Playing defense is definitely new for him. The only thing I've seen the coach say to him on the field during the game was to stay lined up with the central defender so as not to keep a player who might sneak behind the CB onside. I definitely think he has the freedom to move forward and he is still learning what he should or shouldn't do. He was definitely tentative when he had the ball, but he passed it well, and the boy out on the wing he was up against was much bigger than him and he only got one cross in and that was because my son forced him to the corner and kinda backed off to make sure he wasn't able to deke around him. From a purely defensive position, he played great. I'll work with him on getting past the first defender as that was what I noticed during the game as well. And after he passed he didn't jump into the play right away and I think that's because he just wasn't sure what he should or should not do. He's not used to playing behind the ball but rather playing in front of the ball if you know what I mean?

4. VicDog

VicDog New Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nick, just wanted to thank you for the advice again. I spoke to my son about going 1 v 1 and he was absolutely brilliant in practice yesterday. The other thing about my son is that he is really coachable and can take something he is told and implement it fairly quickly, something that will do him well no matter what he ends up doing. He was easily the best player last night, and that's saying a lot b/c we have a couple of fantastic players on the team. Even in drills where he had them sprinting 50 yards with the ball around a cone and back, he was first each time. Even one of the dads seemed surprised by his quickness and said to me, "wow, he's fast." I know he's fast but he sometimes jogs instead of all out running, drives me nuts!

Anyway, your advice was great and really went a long way with him. he understood immediately what I was saying and went after it. in the scrimmage he was great and almost scored a couple times (like i said, his finishing needs work). But he took on the defender, created space and was passing and connecting the MF to forwards.

Thank you!

5. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Did his coach notice what he was doing?

Our game is sprinting 15 - 20 yards.

He doesn't have to do it the whole time either.

He has to do it when it matters.

The one thing he can't do is stop altogether. Even walking up or down field is better then just stop.

He sounds like he is going to be fine

6. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Vic, you must be my doppelganger because my son is in the exact same scenario. He's seven playing in U9 Academy. While he isn't complaining or playing the way you describe your son is, I too have some slight worry. His play days/friendlies he's been at right back almost exclusively (6v6 w/GK playing basically a 2-1-2.) He's never really played much there before except for a normal rotation from back to up top during a rec game.

His coach always has him at back for scrimmages and games, although he does play a little in the middle or up top. But he plays those roles too defensively because of how much he's been playing as a defender. He plays defender well with a few mistakes which is natural, and his coach does encourage and doesn't scold attacking runs from the back down the wing, which my son is good at. I think that's why he has him there, but I think that's too tactical at this age. I'd like to see him start or sub in as FW or MF, so his mind is in that mode off the bat. He has as good or better ball skills than the forwards and midfielders who regularly play there.

Still, I bite my tongue right now because as was said before it's a marathon, not a sprint. It's still early on, and he's having fun and that's what I focus on. Once he moves up an age group, that coach may have him playing somewhere completely different.

Good luck to you and your son.

7. VicDog

VicDog New Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    honestly, I can't see how the coach would not have noticed. in the scrimmage at the end he had my son playing a more forward position after starting him towards the back where he was doing as you suggested, taking on the D 1v1 and winning and then passing through the middle. one of the dads noticed so i'm sure the coach did too! He also only put him in goal for a few mins, so I was happy he was trying other kids there.

I think he had them really pushing it bcos we lost last weekend largely due to not being in good enough game shape. We were up 2-1 and lost in last 10 mins, giving up 4 goals in quick succession.

8. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    VicDog

Did the coach/trainer ever address his/her philosophy of soccer, either preseason or when your son joined the team? (If you mention that earlier in the thread I apologize I read the thread last week and am just now replying now). Speak to other clubs, see who rotates the positions their player play in for training and matches. At the age your son is at, a player ideally should be training to be well rounded able to play every position. Getting the basic and advance understanding of those position FW, winger, CM, outside mid, CB, fullback etc.....Most of all getting experience in those position during training and matches.

9. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Vic on beating the keeper. Your son has to do something to get the keeper to move left or right. So if he dribbles diagonally from left to right for example. The keeper will have to move in the direction. When he starts to do that just pass the ball where the keeper left. It will look like an easy goal.

He starts on one side and moves to the other. You act as the keeper when you move with him. That is when he passes the ball back to the side he left. Tell him not to wait too long. As soon as you move he passes to the place you left. Practice him doing that.

Then practice this a real cool goal scoring celebration. :)

10. VicDog

VicDog New Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    He never specifically addressed his personal philosophy, but the Club's philosophy is about developing the player above all else, even when it comes at the expense of winning games. They play possession and pass, which I love and think is the correct way to learn the game. But he still has my son playing at the back even though in the last one and a half games, he was quite good when getting forward. In Sunday's game he again played left defender (3 at the back) and when marking one of their forwards made some great plays. He had the parents oohhing and aaahhing when he dribbled down the side with a defender on him, and then cut into the middle on a dime, and calmly passed it. He also forced a turnover at midfield and was in on goal with his teammate before the referee erroneously called offside, and he also had a great play in the middle of the field where he won the ball off their best player, beat another player and then laid a perfect pass to hit the winger in stride.

Here's what I wonder, or what I've been telling myself. My son is better than 3/4 of the players on the team, but some of the players he has playing as wingers or forward are not as good soccer players and the defense would likely suffer with them back there. That being said, I find it frustrating that my son is showing some real promise, and showing that he can make some great plays, yet he is still being played in a defensive position. Our team is young - we are a U9 team with 6 of the 12 players eligible for another year of U9 after this season - and we haven't scored a ton of goals (4 goals in 3 games), but I'd bet the farm if my son were played in a forward position for as many minutes he'd have as many goals as our leading goal scorer who has 2.

I keep telling myself he's playing so well and learning how to mark and building confidence at the back, but I do think he should be getting some time in Midfield or at forward. If I were to say something to the coach, how do i approach it? Should I say something? It's not like my son isn't playing. He is getting about 30-35 mins in a 50 minute game.

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think right now he's in a good place. He's young, and at this age it's still really about developing individual skills. Sounds like he's getting lots of time on the ball, and lots of opportunities to dribble and pass.

With the caveat that I'm not a coach and am certainly no expert, I think it's premature to worry about what position he's playing. It's 8v8 for one thing, and he's still young for another. He can learn positions and tactics down the road, on a full-sided field. Right now, he's developing his 1v1 skills and learning to find open spaces and open players and them making a well-weighted pass. He can do that just as well from the back AND (it sound like) really help his team.

The fact that the coach has put your son in the back tells me that this is a club that 'gets it'. Too many teams/clubs would put the bigger, faster, boot-it-long kids in back, and put the "good" players/smaller guys up front. You mentioned that your son is on the smaller side, and that it's pretty obvious he's one of the better players. The fact that they want him in back even though he's probably smaller than a lot of the opposing players is a sign that the coach wants skill at the back, someone to win the ball and work it up, rather than just a big bruiser to knock the ball away.

My advice to you--enjoy the season, enjoy watching your son get lots of touches, make lots of good plays, and earn more plaudits from the other parents. Then, in the winter, maybe touch base with the coach about how things are going, what your son needs to work on, etc. It's quite possible the club does this anyway, but it's totally normal to want to check in with the coach between seasons if not. You can ask about his position on the field and what it means or doesn't mean (I'm leaning toward the latter, but you never know) for his future with the club then.

Sounds like you've got a talented little player, and it sounds like you're raising him in a true "soccer culture" family. That's great; keep it up!

nicklaino repped this.
  12. VicDog

VicDog New Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Thanks BigRed. So you don't think I should bring this up to the coach? I'm new to Club and trying to understand all of this hurts my head! I only want what's best for him. And I do worry about being pigeon-holed. Do you think that's not the case?

13. bajanyankee

bajanyankee Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Maryland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    My son is a little older (HS sophomore) and is also one of the smaller players but he is quick as well as fast. He normally played as a forward on his club team and an outside mid on his school team. Last year due to multiple injuries on the club level, he was "temporarily" moved to right back during the second game of the season. Somehow "temporarily" turned into the rest of the season [​IMG] . He absolutely hated it but he was quite effective back there. Opposing teams would see a smaller player and shift their attack towards his side which they thought was the weaker side not realizing how physically tough and fast he was. Due to the fact that he is in great shape, he was given a good amount of leeway on how he could play his position and ended up playing more like one of his former idols Roberto Carlos as an attacking back.

Switching positions has helped to make him a better more well rounded player IMHO. This year he is playing center mid on both teams. Go figure

14. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I disagree with you here. Developing 1v1 skills is different at every position. As a defender VicDog's son is either facing goal or on the half turn when he recieves the ball to play it(ideally). His 1v1 skills and deceision making are going to be completely different because he will playing from a position that sees the whole field, and depending on the opposing team, he may not have little to no pressure(assuming the opposing team doesn't pressure). The development from this area is slightly similar to that of an outside mid, when there's open space to attack.

The midfield is different. As a CM he has an option in every direction 360degrees and can go at players in any direction. As a CM the pressure VicDog's son faces will be more intense than from the backline. The CM will be facing goal, back to goal and on the half turn facing the sidelines or the open field.

There's a greater emphasis of 1v1 development as an outside mid because of the width outside mids provide. The outside mids are going to have more time to read the play and pressure. There encourage to attack space down line or by cutting inside on an angle towards goal. Outside mids are generally going to be on the half turn facing the field, receiving the ball or on the half turn seeing pressure and the options in front and to both sides.

The forward position back to goal, facing goal and on the half turn. More development is going to be back to goal receiving the ball, playing the way one faces, with pressure from behind(Same pressure the CM recieves but more pressure), with the striker looking to turn and face goal. The development is going to have a greater emphasis of taking a player on to create a shot on goal versus dribbling to find an open teammate as a defender or outside mid.

The 1v1 development is there for all the position, there just a greater emphasis is placed on the type of development each position.

VicDog

I would ask this question to the coach obv in a respectful manner. Just be honest, tell the coach that your glad your son is getting the expereince as a LB, building outta the back and getting foward. Ask, if your son will be playing other positions also to gain development in those areas. Say that your curious not conerned and by no means are you trying to instrust the trainer/coach how to run his training sessions and/or matches.

15. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Let's not get Vic too crazy ok? At least his coach is letting his son attack after he wins the ball. I know and you probably know most coaches in this country won't let his son dribble after he wins the ball. Then let him get into the flow of the attack.

I would love to see his practice. Do you think the coach will make a coaching point to the back next to him to side over into the space he left to prevent an attack if he or a team mate lost the ball.

On playing wing mid I train wing mids I will garantee you his coach won't teach him to play that position the right way. How many times have you seen a wing mid disappear in games for long periods of time?

Remember Donovan in his first Olympics he was out of the play so much his coach benched him. All he had to do was give him some coaching points so that would not happen. But he didn't he benched him instead.

When Vic's son starts to play the flank mid if he has a question we can answer it.

The back position can be a fun position to play if after you won the ball the coach will give you the freedom to attack. However he has to be involved in all the attacking things the coach will teach his other players on the attack on the practice field.

Later the coach should show him how to interchange positions with the wing mid, and overlap on attack so you can get a numerical advantage on one side of the field so the open player can make a nice calm dangerous cross.

This is what we do wrong in this country and all levels including our national teams. When under pressure the coach wants a clearance instead of playing out of the pressure.

16. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    At least his coach is letting his son attack after he wins the ball. I know and you probably know most coaches in this country won't let his son dribble after he wins the ball. Then let him get into the flow of the attack.

I would love to see his practice. Do you think the coach will make a coaching point to the back next to him to side over into the space he left to prevent an attack if he or a team mate lost the ball.[/quote]

I wanna say yes.

That's if Vic's son does play outside mid. Vic doesn't know if his son will play as an outside mid for this coach or club.

What do you mean Vic's son has to be involved? Do you mean Vic's son should play his position and just watch what the other players are doing? Or do you mean Vic's son should be playing multiple positions during training and/or matches?

If Vic's son isn't playing other positions during training and/or matches he's learning little to nuthing about those positions, 1v1 development, tactical awareness basic or advance(unless Vic's son is a savant) he's not learning what to do in those positions.

I agree with this.

17. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I don't think that coach will let him play every position in the course of the season.

But if he let's him attack from the back. Once he gets out of the back he is playing the mid and if he gets the ball back he is the up top player. Then if he scores that is some play. Coach sees that especially if the team is not scoring enough. Then he will get the idea to put him into the attack more.

I did not mean to let him watch others learn new attacking skills and not let him work on them himself. Like the cross for example. How about putting him up on corners or take corners. Or take fks once he gets good at it.

18. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should trust your gut, of course. I don't have the expertise in coaching that some others here like nicklaino have; I just have the experience of a son playing travel soccer who is 6 years older than yours, so I've already been through some of what you're seeing now.

I can't imagine it would hurt anything to talk to him before the end of the season--after all, it's his first season of travel and it's natural for a parent to want to get a feel for what the coach thinks. Any travel coach worth his or her salt realizes that working with parents--especially at the younger ages--is part of the job. You certainly shouldn't worry about that.

What I was getting at is that you shouldn't begin a process of getting too worried too quickly about this sort of thing. While 8MaCookies has a point about how there are different 1v1 skills for different parts of the field, I'm still pretty convinced that where you play in 8v8 has only limited relevance to where and how you play 11v11 on a full-sided field. And at the age of 8, ANY chance to touch the ball and take players on is a chance to develop. I just don't think that positional awareness is that big a deal at that age.

Nicklaino has it right, IMHO--the fact that his coach allows, and even encourages, your son to take the ball and move up with it and get involved in the attack is all too rare, and as I already said once, a good sign regarding the priorities of coach and club. I'm not there, and this only second-hand advice, but it sounds to me like your son is in good hands.

That does NOT mean I think you should "keep your nose out of it." Of course not--nobody cares about a kids long-term development as much as his parents, and you have every right and obligation to maintain communication with the coach. But--again, just my opinion--you should frame your question about him playing defense right now within a larger discussion about his long-term development. "Trust, but verify", in other words.

19. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Gotcha, gotcha I hear ya.

20. VicDog

VicDog New Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    All great advice, and yes, the Coach seems to want the ball played from the back forward as opposed to always booting it down the field. My son doesn't have the ability to boot or clear from a standing spot like some of the other players, but he protects the ball well on the dribble and is as fast on the dribble as any kid I've seen on his team. His strengths are his first touch, his dribbling (ball is always close to his feet even when at top speed), and his overall understanding of the game (he watches almost as much as I do).

I hear both sides and that's why I get concerned. Look, this team is very young as I mentioned. I'm worried that he will be at a disadvantage next season when the team gets upgraded with a few weaker players going out and some stronger ones coming in. His mother and I were delighted with his performance this past weekend and he really showed some great skill. And playing from the back he was involved in 2-3 scoring chances. and THAT is what I don't understand about why he is continually played in that position...Imagine if he was given as much time up top as some of the "stars" on our team? I dont know...His mother and I decided I'd wait 2-3 more games and see if he continues to impress from that position, then I'd ask the coach very politely how he sees my sons development down the road.

I'm not a crazy soccer dad, I just want to help him to be as good as HE wants to be. He's going to be 9 in December and when you ask him now what he wants to be when he grows up, he says "a professional footballer." If that changes, then whatever it is down the road, I;'d attack with the same zeal. As I've told him, I don't care what he decides to be when he grows up so long as he is always working hard at it.

8MaCookies and bigredfutbol repped this.
  21. Rebaño_Sagrado

Rebaño_Sagrado Member+

May 21, 2006
    Home
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Talk about short-sighted... Playing forward or midfield doesn't mean you are considered a star. Parents meddling has brOught down many a good team at your level.

22. VicDog

VicDog New Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Who's meddling? I'm talking about my son's development as a player. I don't mind him playing defense, but every game as an 8 year old? That's why I'm here wondering if that is okay or if that could hinder his development as a player. simple as that.

23. VicDog

VicDog New Member

Sep 10, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    I talked to the coach via email and he gave me some good advice to work on with my son. I did not address the positions thing specifically but moreso about feedback and all that.

24. nicklaino

nicklaino Member+

Feb 14, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Can you post what he sent you? I must be super old school because I don't want to even talk on the phone with parents. It is always better to talk face to face. What is he working on in practice now.

25. 8MaCookies

8MaCookies Member

Jan 3, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Vic next time you have questions you want to ask the coach/trainer do it face to face. You'll get a better read on the person and there's a greater possiblity that they we give more imform that answers your question.