What's Up With Tim Wiese?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by HSV-Jung, May 3, 2012.

1. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Wasn't sure where to post this. My comments relate mostly to the player and neither of the clubs so I didn't want to post this in the Werder or Hoffenheim sections (as if Hoffenheim had a section or fans for that matter, haha). So I came here.

First of all let me state for the record that although a great HSV supporter I am no Wiese hater. He has slighted my club perhaps more than any other individual player over the last decade, but I always understood all that as good natured ribbing from a passionate player, warts and all. I am also perhaps the only one of 37 million ardent HSV supporters who was genuinely impressed with him speaking to HSV fans on the megaphone once again after the game last September, when HSV still only had one point after six or so games and things were looking grim. He said HSV had far too much quality in its ranks to be relegated. I appreciated the comment as the honest chin-up that it was.

Now he was due to extend his contract at Bremen this spring and said he would like to stay, but not for less pay. If this is true I cannot begin to understand why Allofs (who I believe to be a very good manager, unfortunately) would let him go. After Pizarro leaves, this would have been the only star left on the team. His reported salary was EUR 2.7 million, which is a lot, but for a player of his skills, reputation and experience it's a fair price. And it's not like his performance over the last year was so poor as to justify paying him less. In fact I believe he is part of the reason why Werder is still comfortably in the midfield of the table right now. Say what you want about him but he's a very solid goalie who sometimes even shows streaks of greatness.

Anyway, it was decided he would leave and there have been reports of interest shown from both Milan clubs, Tottenham, a number of Turkish clubs and Hoffenheim. Wiese said he wanted to play Champions League. The other day it was reported that Real was interested and he even said if something like that is reported, then "there's usually some truth to that." I always he would end up with Milan, believing he could ultimately edge out Abbiati and see a couple of years of play at a really high level and Milan sort of seem to have a faible for wannabe bad boys anyway, perhaps they would have even let him wear a pink jersey again.

Now he's signed up with Hoffenheim. No Champions League, no international play, no fame no glory. So why did he do it? I'm absolutely flabbergasted. Is he afraid of having to learn a new language or of homesickness? Or did Hopp simply park a golden goose in Wiese's backyard? Seems to be the only explanation.

2. "Eisenfuß" Eilts

Jul 1, 2005
    In the sun ;)
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    His daughter starts school this summer so maybe that is why he chose a German club. But as stated in the Werder subforum I was also surprised rolling on the floor when I heard him joining Hoffenheim, especially after all this talk with Real, Milan and all the other big clubs and his ambitions to play CL.

3. Wappy

Wappy Member

Jun 18, 2007
    HK
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm sure he has his own reasons, but I was kind of angry seeing him choose Hoffenheim over the Milan giants or Spurs. I think he is good enough to be starting GK for those teams. Most likely its all about money but now that he is in Hoffenheim he will still get a good look-in by Loew. Of course, Hoffenheim might also have a concrete vision for the future, unlike the mess that is Bremen.

4. WinniWerder

WinniWerder Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Winnipeg
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hind-sight is 20/20, so where is he now? Those highlights and spray tan don't come cheap! Asta la vista goof-ball, shoulda listened to your agent :p