What will the NASL look like in 10 years?

Discussion in 'NASL Expansion' started by eclipse02, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Green and BLue

Green and BLue Member+

Seattle Sounders FC
    Nov 3, 2003
    Republic of Cascadia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless I'm mistaken, I have 5 (Victoria, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, and Hamilton). Even counting Puerto Rico as not US-based, I still have 18 of 24 teams in the US, or 75%.

I can see SF in Div. II within the next 10 years. SF has some decent soccer history with the All Blacks/Seals in the 90s. I think once the Earthquakes get their stadium built and get settled in, adding another pro soccer team elsewhere in the Bay Area becomes much more palpable.

Eugene and Boise are kind of small markets. I'd think they'd be better suited for Div. II, given their size. That being said, I'm all for the growth of soccer in the Pacific Northwest. :)

Well, remember, this is what the league could look like 10 years out...plenty of time for a stadium to be built.

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love 2 conferences that only play each other in the playoffs, Open Cup

East
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Ft. Lauderdale Strikers
    Carolina Railhawks
    Ottawa
    Buffalo
    Cleveland
    Milwaukee
    Charleston
    FC New York (with 2 in MLS?)
    Rochester
    Orlando
    Indianapolis
    Other Eastern city

West
    San Antonio
    Austin
    Tulsa
    FC Edmonton
    Pheonix
    Sacramento
    San Diego
    Calgary
    Las Vegas
    St. Louis
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Iowa Menace
    Omaha
    Other western team

That is 26 regular season games (home-away)

Then playoffs. I have only 4 non-USA teams, with 26 total teams we would only need 20 USA teams.

3. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really like that format; it would greatly limit travel expenses as compared to now.

Another Eastern city could be Pittsburgh, but it doesn't seem like the Riverhounds will be moving up soon.

4. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm modifying my eventual NASL idea from yesterday on the MLS SuperThread. This list assumes MLS stays at 20 teams for the time being.

EASTERN CONFERENCE
    FC Tampa Bay
    Fort Lauderdale Strikers
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Carolina RailHawks
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Orlando City (move)
    Rochester Rhinos (move)
    Wilmington Hammerheads (move)
    either Crystal Palace Baltimore (expand) or Chattanooga FC (move)
    Cleveland City Stars (expand)
    Detroit (expand)
    Quebec City (expand)

WESTERN CONFERENCE
    FC Edmonton
    Minnesota NSC Stars
    Fresno (move)
    San Antonio Scorpions (expand)
    Austin Aztex (expand)
    AC St. Louis (expand)
    Phoenix (expand)
    San Diego (expand)
    San Francisco (expand)
    Las Vegas (expand)
    Oklahoma (expand)
    Omaha (expand)

The only difference between then and now is that I swapped out Charleston in favor of Detroit. Charleston, despite its worthy fan support, would have to be dragged kicking and screaming into D-II. :p

If MLS expands to 24, you can kiss four of these teams goodbye, and add these four:

Charleston Battery (move)
    FC Jax Destroyers (move)
    Ottawa (expand)
    Albuquerque (expand)

5. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking a good setup would be 16 teams, 2 conferences. 2 Home matches 2 Away matches in conference(28 games, like this year), plus one game vs. each team in the other conference, alternating each year which team is home or away(an additional 8 games). That's a total of 36 matches, but all but 4 would be in conference or at home out of conference. So only 4 road games to the other conference. So 18 road games, 14 in conference.

EAST:

FC Tampa Bay
    Fort Lauderdale Strikers
    Carolina Railhawks
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Orlando City
    Rochester Rhinos
    Baltimore

WEST:

FC Edmonton
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    San Antonio Scorpions
    St. Louis
    Las Vegas
    San Deigo
    Phoenix
    Omaha

Bold teams would be expansion/USL conversions.

6. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really like the schedule. Well done.

7. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. I think the idea of regional conferences is a must for lower levels to save on travel costs(if you actually have REGIONAL divisions, I'm looking at you USL International Division), but I also like to see my team play every other team in the league at least once. One year you play 4 of the other conference teams away, the next year switch.

They'd play a few more games, but it would not be that much more of a financial burden.

8. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I really like the schedule, but I'll disagree on a couple of teams. Not that I don't think you have good candidates in your expansion choices, I just feel like you left out a couple of real strong possibilities in Ottawa and Hamilton. The only non-US teams you have up there are Puerto Rico and Edmonton. So out of 16, you could have up to four be non-US. Of course that would unbalance things a bit as Omaha and Vegas are the ones I would reomve from your list if I absolutely had to choose. Maybe better would be to add those two cities in the east and then a pair in the west as well. Austin just has to get another chance, don't you think? And then maybe another Midwest city like Milwaukee or Detroit.

More games could be a financial burden, but I'd like to think that if we're talking about an NASL 10 years down the road, the existing teams would have stabilized to the point that more games would actually become a better chance at profitability, especially in a league with a national footprint, but a quasi-regional spin based on the conferences and the scheduling model you're slotting in. 20 teams means probably having to change the schedule though. But if these teams were all still around and playing in D2 10 years from now, I don't think it's an unrealistic expectation at all to say they should be averaging 5,000+ in attendance. Seems they'd have to to survive that long. Now could all these markets do that? That's the 6 million dollar question! :D

9. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember, more games includes more home games. Which means greater revenue.

10. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Which makes it also better for sponsors

11. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Home games don't mean greater revenue if you're not breaking even. Home games can just mean losing more money.

12. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably a better thread for speculation.

13. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume that most teams make money in home games; they just usually lose more when they travel away, so sure more games = more home games, but it also means more away games.

16 teams full round robin is 30 games, plus playoffs I think is about right for NASL.

If they want to keep the split season with 1 championship game then maybe they can go up to 18.

18 = 34 games + Soccerbowls.

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Updating your list ;)

Definitely need some western teams.

Assuming the Islanders and Cosmos do stick around, that will be 12 teams; 9 American and 3 non-American.

15. Kolyn

Kolyn Member

May 15, 2012
    Waterford, Ireland
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Hamilton seems likely if a non-US spot opens up? If the islanders don't return they would most likely take that slot? If not they have to wait for 3 more US teams. Right now there's no hint of any expansion teams, only a few cities Downs mentioned such as LA, Detroit, San Diego, Phoenix, Sacremento, Las Vegas and 3 of those are already USL Pro markets.

16. cdskou

cdskou Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Calgary. Averaged 10,000 in the one year they played in the NASL.

17. cdskou

cdskou Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    What about the Tulsa Roughnecks. Look them up, they drew very well.

18. Sporting Real

Sporting Real Member+

Jun 29, 2011
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, first, lets look at where the NASL will hopefully be come 2014 when expansion kicks in.
    1.Tampa Bay
    2.Fort Lauderdale
    3.Atlanta
    4.Carolina
    5.Edmonton
    6.Minnesota
    7. San Antonio
    8. New York
    9.Puerto Rico
    10.Ottawa
    11.Virginia
    12.Indianapolis

Now, with 12 teams in play, we're now looking 9 years down the road to 2023. The big questions here are: Does the NASL want to be a EPL style league with only 20 teams, or like a Championship League, with 24? Which, if any, USLPro franchises won't want to remain a D3 team? What cities have the right demographics to support a team fan wise? Which level of cities do you want your teams in? (When it comes to levels, I'm thinking NASL and MLS want top 50 markets, and USLPRo should be going for everything else)

Currently there is one top 10 city untapped by the MLS: San Diego. San Diego has already said they're looking at NASL, but are holding off for now. Two years from now, though, they might be a possibility

13. San Diego

If Orlando City doesn't get into MLS, I do not see them staying in USLPro. Sacramento and Phoenix, I could see them moving up if they really start doing well. Speculation, but it seems reasonable. Lets say its now 2016...
    14.Orlando City
    15.Sacramento
    16.Phoenix

Now we have 7 years to go. Break for 2, and its 2018. Top 25 cities without a soccer team in either division now, biggest to smallest, are: Austin, San Fransisco, Detroit, and El Paso. Currently each city has a team playing at some level except for San Fran, and they all draw pretty well. So lets say two of them go up.

17. Austin
    18.Detroit

NASL wants to add two more in 2020. '20 in 2020' is catchy, no? El Paso is already an affiliate of Chivas, so they're out. Memphis, Baltimore, Nashville and Louisville are top 30 cities, and all but Memphis, I believe, have a PDL or lower franchise. Baltimore has the desire, and Louisville is rapidly becoming a 'cosmopolitan' city, so lets say

19.Baltimore
    20.Louisville

Next up in 2021, after really getting all their ducks in a row, we add

21.Memphis
    22.Nashville

The last two spots turn into a heated battle, as Milwaukee, Oklahoma City, Las Vegas, Albuquerque and Tuscon duke it out. The NASL, wanting a better western footprint and some more glitz and glamour to go along with an already supported team take

23.Las Vegas
    24.Tuscon

That's how I could see it going. And that is a very legit D2 in 10 years time

19. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll throw my idea out there:

East:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Fort Lauderdale Strikers
    Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Carolina RailHawks
    Virginia Cavalry
    Ottawa
    NY Cosmos
    Orlando City (up from USL) (or Nashville if Orlando goes MLS) (I'd like to see Charleston, but they seem fixated on USL)
    Richmond Kickers (up from USL)
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds (up from USL)
    Charlotte (expansion)

West:
    San Antonio Scorpions
    Minnesota Stars
    FC Edmonton
    Indianapolis
    St Louis (expansion)
    Detroit (expansion)
    Sacramento (up from USL)
    San Diego (expansion)
    Las Vegas (expansion)
    Calgary (expansion)
    Austin (expansion)
    Phoenix (up from USL)

20. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The PDL club in Nashville has folded.

21. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Massive flaw in this. The Division II standards, as all good standards of measurement for placing sports teams, are based on METROPOLITAN AREA, not city size. Completely toss out lists of cities as they're irrelevant.

Here's the current list of metropolitan statistical areas, the actual measurement used by USSF, of which the league is required to place 75% of their teams in markets of 750,000 people or more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_metropolitan_statistical_areas

You'll notice that San Diego is NOT a top 10 market, but is actually 17th. The 4 "next largest cities" when adjusted for markets are SF (11th), Detroit (13th), Austin (34th) and El Paso (65th).

If you're going to do these things, at least know something as basic as what the standards of measurement for the markets to potentially have teams in is.

22. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is such a great fantasy thread!

My big hope for NASL in ten years is: still in business.
    My expectation: NASL hovering around 14 teams, several will have folded in the interim.

By the way, SF sucks as a soccer market. Their attendance was poor. Also, it's a cold nasty city for soccer, and many of the soccer fans in SF are hard core SJ Earthquakes supporters. I'm not sure it would work. Where would they play? Kezar is a terrible stadium and the neighbors would scream if attendance ever reached anything like 6K. There's no place to build a stadium in SF either, unless they could build a completely new stadium at Candlestick, but that's a reach.

Sorry.

I very much want NASL to be successful, but you ideas of 20 teams across the country . . . wow. Not happening. But I'll buy you beer if you turn out to be right! :D

- Mark

24. Laramie

Laramie Member

May 5, 2010
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Where are the recently approved Jacksonville and Oklahoma City franchises?

25. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You do realize that this thread was started WAY before those teams were announced, right?

TheJoeGreene repped this.