What will the Cosmos Do between Now and the MLS

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by Goforthekill, Dec 17, 2011.

1. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heard about it. The Umbro deal was a bad move - clearly one of those poor business decisions that PK made.

Like ED Said, this is a good move but at the end of the day - it is frustrating not knowing what is going on.

The NEw Cosmos owners are not updating the fans or anyone and it is frustrating. We have gone from one extreme to the next with it -

Still think its going to be the Cosmos - more interested in the stadium progress. That the real holdup with this all.

2. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I'm still not sure why Umbro was a bad business deal. As is apparently happening now, they could have done something about the contract so that that by the time they were playing in MLS they would be wearing adidas.

3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Did the new Cosmos break up with Umbro, or did Umbro break up with the new Cosmos ?

4. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because Dan Cherry spend way to much money on stupid Umbro collections to produce like 1500 total units.

The Blackout collection? White out? I have no problems with them signing with Umbro - selling some shirts and jackets and dressing up their academy but those collections were a bit over the top and cost the Cosmos more than they made from it.

5. IAMAMNOTPELE

IAMAMNOTPELE Member

Nov 5, 2011

The Academy??

Have you seen the U18 Academy team – they all have a medium size jacket, which is way too small for most of these guys

So don’t think much of this collection went to the academy – looks more like they ordered 50 medium sized jackets, not realizing that by the time some of the players get to U18, they hit the 6 foot + mark and a medium starts to look like lycra!! :D

And I am not even going to start on the shorts :eek:

6. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lol

cluster ******** again - first the wilpons in 2008 and now this - as Woodside Mets says - its like we are cursed lol

7. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    yeah yeah, understood ok. But generally, were the umbro kits selling, besides the "collections"?

8. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and on top of all that, Scholes came out of retirement! :)

9. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol

Thing that sucks is - people who were so pumped about all this - are now losing interest in the league - i was in touch with euro snob guys who were going ot jump all over the Cosmos - and now - i cant even get them to go to a RedBull game with me.

I know the league wanted to get PK out but they should be keeping the ********ing fans engaged. Both the Cosmos and the league.

Sad man - very sad

I still think NYC is 20 - they will get something done but its just the moment was there man - i mean we alone had over 100 people at the Scholes game, over 100 people at the Q and A - feck we had 100 people at MLS cup a few years back Dallas v Colorado because of the Cosmos news.

The iron was hot - not saying its dead or cold for fans but many have a bad taste in their mouths.

10. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I am already looking forward to another ''Paul Scholes Testimonial'', sure hope he invites the Cosmos once again

11. IAMAMNOTPELE

IAMAMNOTPELE Member

Nov 5, 2011
    :D

I wonder if there will even be a team by the time Scholes retires again :eek:

12. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think at this point we ought to be advocating for an NASL squad in the meantime just as much as we are advocating an MLS-ready stadium. It would only help all parties involved.

13. IAMAMNOTPELE

IAMAMNOTPELE Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Agree 100%

Would at least start some momentum towards, hopefully an enventual MLS debut................in 2057!!

14. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feck - we wanted the Cosmos to do that PDL team = Belson stadium is open - it would have been fine for us - The Old Cosmos were at least giving the fans that for now

15. CosmosV

CosmosV Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Look at the big picture here people, Garber is telling you just enough of what you want to hear like NY2 is our Focus, we are trying for a Stadium in NYC area Blah Blah Blah it's all a smoke and mirrors to keep us interested in case a big investor comes in to make it happen. Orlando is so far ahead of anybody for a franchise it's not even close. Look for the Orlando announcement at MLS Cup and a short B.S. story on how NY wasn't feasible because they couldn't get a Stadium. Considering how the economy is going in NY you think any of these bozos will vote for a new Stadium, not a chance in hell!

16. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    How is the economy in NY? Who are the "bozos"? And wouldn't the stadium if privately developed be good for the economy?

17. CosmosV

CosmosV Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    After 2 stadiums being built and politicians(BOZOS) wanting to hold onto there jobs, you think there gonna back another Stadium ? Maybe Bloomberg will but his time is almost over and so will any chance of a Stadium. Privately built Stadium hahaha ! Who are you gonna get to build you one ? You really want another Red Bull type operation owning the Cosmos ? You need a Man City type ownership or a Chelsea type ownership to establish a proper NY Franchise = endless stream of cash ! When it's all said and done your talking about billion dollar investment to get Land,Stadium,MGMT team,Coaching Staff,Players to attract NY soccer fans $$$$$$$$$ ! Just look at NY nothing is small time and if they try to go small time (METS) they get no attention and bad press. Go big or go home is the situation for NY 2.

18. IAMAMNOTPELE

IAMAMNOTPELE Member

Nov 5, 2011
    What I cant really understand is the logic in the Selas Group buying out the Cosmos name/interest?

What is in it for them if they dont intend doing anything?

It must have cost them money - but no idea if this was $1m/$5m/$10m or whetever

But to what end?

Surely they did not simply buy it for nothing?

They must at some point have had a plan or at least a desire to do something with it?

But from what i recall, we are going on 4 months ownership now and everythig has gone dead

I just dont understand this from a business perspective really?

Then you have the announcement from David Downs that he is in active discussions to get thwem to join the NASL..............or is that another smokescreen :mad:

However, he has just had his contract renewed for a further 2 years, so you would think he would not simply be playing games

Whole thing is just crazy!

19. CosmosV

CosmosV Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    --other--

I think they will turnaround and sell the name to potential NY2 ownership grp - whoever that may be.

20. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    The city was never, ever going to contribute to the building of a soccer stadium. It was private or nothing. The best we can hope for is infrastructure improvements, like if the stadium were to be built in the Willets Point area, the state might do new exit ramps off the Van Wyck.

The plan has always been a big investor group, and a grassroots effort to convince the local pols/community boards to embrace the project. We think, though we do not know for sure, that Sela has access to big finance. I mean, that would be the idea. If you were saying that the NY economy is poor, then it seems to me that bringing in outside money to build a stadium would make it more palatable for politicians, not less.

21. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes - I think Sela still have their share but might be looking to off load it.

I just wish the new group would come out and tell us who they are and their intentions. Clearly there is some intentions for paying up Gottschee etc.

22. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    SELA SPORTS bought out PK to quiet the noise. They probably wanted a more reserved marketing situation and less noise in the stadium selection and building process.

If they weren't interested in pursuing any of this they wouldn't have spent any money (buying out PK). They simply would have chalked it up as a loss and moved forward.

The business perspective is that this is sort of the CALM BEFORE THE STORM.

Also if you consider that the rumor about the Cosmos breaking away from Umbro to be true then we might be closer than we thought.

Let's just give it time.

23. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Have they made their second payment yet?

24. IAMAMNOTPELE

IAMAMNOTPELE Member

Nov 5, 2011
    If you mean the one due in January, through to the end of this season (June 2012), then yes, payment was made

As a result of that, the U18 Academy is off to Germany at the Easter break for a Tournament - players need to pay around $850 for their flights, but everything else is covered

25. NYC_COSMOS

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    S'all good in the hood then!