What will the Cosmos Do between Now and the MLS

Discussion in 'New York City FC' started by Goforthekill, Dec 17, 2011.

1. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Totally irrelevant to the subject at hand but was just curious

2. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland

Tickets "sold" or are they "distributed" ? Remember tickets given away by Red Bull are counted in their attendence figures ( even if the people they give away tickets to don't show up)..

How many times have you heard about a "sellout at RBA" where you turn the game on and clearly see the big energy drink symbol in the the midfield seats.

3. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

All MLS attendance numbers are tickets distributed. This is no different than in all sports. All sports distribute tickets via the sponsorship packages and other ways and they all count towards attendance. Some NHL teams have run buy one get one free tickets promotions but all tickets will show up in the attendance.

Look at the NBA's attendance numbers. In some games the stands are half full in the highlights and yet the attendance numbers the next day in the paper show almost a sellout.

4. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah tickets distributed (sorry). And NBA is by far the worst (look at the southern teams, Atlanta, Charlotte, New Orleans, sh*t even Miami when they first announced LeBron). In real attendance, I bet NHL beats them considerably.

5. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Yeah, and I think that's because basketball i think is more of a corporate expense account sport than the raucous NHL. When I used to go to a lot of Knick games in the 90s, they would always say "the 307th consecutive sell out" and you'd look around and there was like 7000 empty seats.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Canadian teams have to report actual attendance, I remember reading that somewhere, perhaps I am wrong.

7. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Toronto was said to announce attendance as butts in seats for years but sometime during the last season it was proved to be incorrect as the stadium was obviously no where near full and they still listed a near sellout for attendance. I remember this coming up in the attendance thread last season as a topic point one week.

8. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    I sometimes wonder about that bc last year TFC's attendance was really hard to read. Most TFC games didn't reach full attendance until about the midpoint of each half. Many TFC fans arrived late and returned late from concessions after halftime. I remember alot of games in 2010 especially that started very sparse and then saying to myself "oh ok, that's better" about 20 minutes into the first half. Also cuts from the near side of BMO appeared to be much fuller than the stands opposite the camera booth. But that could have just been the camera angle of course since you never get a straight-on view of the near stands. There was also the factor that, before last season's BMO expansion, much of the stadium's population was diverted to the stadium's beer garden, which looked to hold close to 1000 ppl. I'm not sure, but the ppl there were likely sold ticketholders from other parts of the stadium, so alot of the appearance of a sold-out venue would have been "stretched" out to that area.

But with that said, it was clear by this season that they could no-longer make the case that there were consistent sellouts. Still good numbers, but with the stadium having been expanded, coupled with a very real lose of about maybe 5% of their gameday crowds, the drop in attendance perhaps appeared more stark than it actually was. However that also is a very real illustration of the loss of interest since two years ago they were reporting a long waiting list for season tickets, whereas now with more capacity in the stadium, that waiting list which prompted the expansion no longer exists to fill it.

9. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we give TFC that excuse, we have to give RBNY that excuse as well. I'd argue that RBNY had better attendance (with real numbers) than TFC the last few years. With 5,000 fewer seats, I bet they would've packed BMO.

10. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    after the blackout collection, now the whiteout collection (with the 78 blizzard as inspiration)

11. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nah - now they are jumping ahead a good few years and reenacting the crash of the NASL :D

12. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    the spring 1985 NASL crash collection, now THAT would be original :D

13. PCFC

PCFC Member

May 13, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Newry City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My apartment has terrible electrical workings. They need to drop the brownout collection.

14. QueensNick

QueensNick Member

Jul 19, 2007
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and of course we need a power outage collection from 2003

15. EL YANQUI

EL YANQUI Red Card

Jun 3, 2011
    ACEVEDO DIAZ Y CHANA
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Hey every one I have a red cosmos warm up its pretty much a knock off and stolen idea from umbros black out warm up that pays homage to the 1970s black out and the white warm up that pays homage to the 70s blizzard. I made a few blood red warm ups that pay homage to 70s serial killer son of sam what a better way to remember the 70s disco crazed era and that 70s hot scary summer that had the city gripped in fear than with your very own red warm up jacket it comes with a cosmos logo on the left side of the jacket and it reads cosmos on the back in white letters and the jacket is red which represents the blood thirsty killer who took orders from a dog that lived next door back in the disco dust days of the late 70s.... only 90 dollars shipping is free.... hit me up and get your warm up jacket now....

16. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Get your sparkling mirror ball hoody in commemoration of the height of the disco/cosmos era?

17. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    For those of you too young to remember...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFz2WkVAk38"]Do The Hustle - YouTube[/ame]

18. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Studio 54 collection, eh? that would be a very apropos name considering the amount of time certain Cosmos players spent there. ;)

19. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Does the studio 54 collection come with the bag of coke ?

20. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    I still shudder when I hear that song.

21. citysoccer83

citysoccer83 Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Cosmos and Umbro end there contract early? anyone else see this news? this is getting frustrating not knowing whats going on. I wonder is this is true and what this means for the organization.

22. Ed NYC Firm

Ed NYC Firm Member

May 14, 2000
    NY
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Dropping Umbro would be a positive move long term as Adidas is MLS's supplier. On short term, it would hurt as there is no new clothing revenue coming in. So I'd call it a push..

Now if they go out and sign a deal with Adidas in the next few weeks, I'd view that as a positive step.

23. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a link for this? I ask because Umbro just rolled out their "white out" collection and they are still listed on the Umbro site.

http://www.umbro.com/#/teams/the-new-york-cosmos/?locale=en_US

That being said, if it is true, this is good news for those wanting Cosmos to join MLS. As long as that deal is in place it is going to make it more difficult to get the Cosmos brand on any potential NY2 team.

24. EL YANQUI

EL YANQUI Red Card

Jun 3, 2011
    ACEVEDO DIAZ Y CHANA
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Umbro-anomolty or what ever that crap side show company was called were all pals with Paul K and since he left so did umbro that simple...

As far as what the NY cosmos will be doing I have been given solid information that the NY Cosmos will begin a heavy all out marketing campaign to make the masses FORGET them and that they ever existed...

25. CosmosV

CosmosV Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    :eek:
    Move on bro, why do you even care at this point? You know what beating a dead horse means ? it's like let's bury the body and keep throwing dirt on it, let it go , find a fing hobby!