What was MLS thinking when they scheduled these playoffs?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DanGlingballs, Nov 11, 2012.

1. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they still play other sports??

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    You weren't curious what those lines on the field were for at BBVA Compass?:p

3. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Astronomy?

4. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Glen Cove
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My arguing for soccer on Thanksgiving in this thread was made without thinking about the specific present application for MLS - that in the current set-up if any game is played on Thanksgiving it would most likely have to be the MLS cup final. In that sense, I think I'm persuaded by your all arguments that December 1 (or December 8) would be a better date for the MLS cup.

But I prefer watching soccer over football so regardless I am in favor of finding soccer to watch on Thanksgiving instead of football. It is kind of nice that they've scheduled Europa League as well as the Mexican Liga semis for Thanksgiving so those are possibilities for me. Maybe in the future they could play one champions league game on Thursday (instead of Tuesday or Wednesday) to try to cash in on more Americans watching sports on Thursday during the day than during the day of the preceding Tuesday or Wednesday of the same week.

5. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think UEFA cares about Thanksgiving in the USA?

redinthemorning and Jasonma repped this.
  6. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because that's when espn was willing to air it?

7. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Glen Cove
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt they care about the holiday for sentimental reasons, but as an organization that tries to maximize profits, its possible they could be looking for outside-the-box ways to increase revenues. If whoever bought the U.S. rights to UCL offered more money for them to switch a game or two to the Thanksgiving thursday, I'm sure they would at least consider it. In other words, it would only be a switch of one or two days. There were 8 champions league games this week. Although I'm sure there would be some disadvantages, it seems to me to be quite feasible to have 1 or 2 of those 8 games played on Thursday to be able to show a game during U.S. thanksgiving. I'm not saying that the UCL has called me recently asking what they can do to gain more of my interest, attention, and money, but i'm just brainstorming here and this is a message board.

8. DANNO49

DANNO49 Member

Feb 6, 2001
    Hawthorne CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't like the fact that the higher seed team gets to host. This gives no time for the fans or clubs to schedule any pre cup events. No meet and greet for the fans. Also Saturday is alright but it should be played at 4pm local time. BTW I am a Galaxy fan

9. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shut the Front Door!

10. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They schedule on Thursdays because that's when Europa League games are many weekends in the Fall. Period.
    You could probably get just as many viewers on the Wed before Thanksgiving as on the actual day in the US. Thanksgiving in the US is spelled NFL. Period.

11. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It gives you two weeks.

12. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suck my dictionary?

13. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole Gulf War I didn't last that long.

14. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Glen Cove
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    U.S. live viewers??? no way the Wed before thanksgiving would get more U.S. live viewers than a Thanskgiving day game would. during the day before thanksgiving (Wednesday) tons of soccer fans are still at their usual job doing usual work while the games are played. I'm not saying the game would outdraw the NFL game, but I know quite a few people who would choose a thanksgiving day champions league game over the typical Lions or Dallas game.

15. HailtotheKing

HailtotheKing Member+

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Dec 1, 2008
    TEXAS
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and those "quite a few people" probably has a large percentage that don't give a crap about the NFL game in the first place.

That Wednesday before has MANY people being let out rather early (half day usually), and a huge swath of kids don't have school that week and/or are let out rather early on Wednesday.

16. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    People complained that the highest seed should be hosting the MLS Cup for years. MLS decides to do that, and people complain that the scheduling is f*cked up.

Guess what? MLS Cup is about a whole hell of a lot more than just the game. There are a lot of events that go on around the MLS Cup and there is a lot of logistical planning that needs to get done. Not to mention selling tickets to a game where the location isn't known until a few days before the event.

And lets just say that New England, Seattle, or San Jose were hosts. None control their own stadiums, which ads to the headaches.

And for fans who are traveling, it provides an extra week to plan and save on travel costs (no last minute airfares).

Jesus H. Christ. Do people actually think at all before they bitch and moan?

looknohands and Jasonma repped this.
  17. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    You're assuming that there is some major crossover between college football fans and MLS fans. My guess is that there really isn't that big of an overlap to have a major affect on TV ratings.

Those college football fans are much more likely to tune in for 12 straight hours of NFL football coverage rather than flip to an MLS game.

Jasonma repped this.
  18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You've been around BigSoccer long enough to know the answer to this...

looknohands repped this.
  19. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Glen Cove
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my post that you quoted mentioned college football, nfl, as well as NBA. it wasn't based on some huge emphasis on cross-over between college football fans and MLS fans. I'm not an MLS tv ratings expert but I'm pretty sure that I've read on here before that MLS TV ratings drop quite a bit from summer to fall. It seems like that drop would be due to increased competition from other sports including college football.