What was MLS thinking when they scheduled these playoffs?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by DanGlingballs, Nov 11, 2012.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't attended a family Thanksgiving since we moved out of state. :D

2. edwardgr

edwardgr Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suppose this works coming from a Galaxy supporter. It certainly sounds better than go die in a galactic nursery, or some other cosmic phenomenon :p

Hachiko repped this.
  3. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, the much more sensible decision would have been to keep the one game Conference final. That way the higher seed gets the enhanced home-field advantage and we could have one game each weekend. The current schedule is stupidly congested which has led exactly to what I predicted: injuries and poor play. The benefits of a two-legged conf final (which I enjoy and like a lot) are outweighed by the horrific negatives of the congested schedule.

With the conference heavy unbalanced schedule home field advantage makes more sense to me within the conference bracket -- less sense at MLS cup. Though I can't see em moving away from a one-game cup final. I liked the nuetral sit. I recognize the positives of a participant hosted final.

4. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Glen Cove
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most families that I know spend at least some time on Thanksgiving watching sports on TV together.

5. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, my family would always watch the Texas v Texas AM game(Dad went to Texas). You Eat then the family sits around and watches Football.

6. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Remember when they had MLS Cup in Toronto? That was COLD to even watch as a viewer.

7. BHTC Mike

BHTC Mike Member+

Apr 12, 2006
    Burlington, ON
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Too obvious, reasonable, traditional*, and successful in the past.

*By the standards of what counts as tradition in MLS.

8. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weird. You must have a dysfunctional and/or shitty family. We enjoy each other's company. Of course, we also go out and do stuff like hunt and bring home game for our wives to skin, clean and cook. Then we build a bonfire outside and tell tall tales of our exploits to the younger generations, their eyes wide in awe. We sing songs late into the night to our dead ancestors to invite their spirits back from the spirit world to visit and guide us.

******, but Thanksgiving at my house doesn't suck.

What do you mean by "Now"? It's always been that way.

Mod note: personal attack deleted!

Jasonma and looknohands repped this.
  9. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd like to see the league work out a two-week break between the conference finals and MLS Cup (possibly by taking advantage of the November international dates) to help ensure that the host stadium is absolutely packed. It might require an earlier start to the league and/or more mid-week games, but I'd hate to see a final played in front of a half-full stadium. Use the bye week to announce award winners, have Garber give a state of the league address, etc. to keep interest in the league going.

10. cwilke1

cwilke1 Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Glen Cove
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's what the schedule is for this year. conference finals are scheduled to end on Sunday November 18. MLS Cup is scheduled for Saturday December 1, 2012, which is 13 days (almost 2 full weeks) from the end of the conference finals.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, yes I do. :D

12. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .... Everywhere I travel for MLS games, bigsoccer people welcome me with open arms and we drink copious amounts of alcohol. Scribes record these events and they become the Sagas that a future religion will be based upon.

Mod note: personal attack deleted!

13. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread is wandering into Rivalries territory...:cautious:

Mod note: Numerous personal attacks have been deleted! If you feel insulted, REPORT the post! DON'T Escalate!

14. publicstranger

Nov 18, 2012
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Both teams looked so tired tonight. D.C and Houston. Terrible scheduling.

15. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't mentioned anything about him a coward green Sounderdfan and an inbred from Kentucky.

16. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's turning into a straight-out pissing contest between you two instead of a proper debate regarding playoff scheduling. Kind of unfortunate.

17. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't care what anyone says these playoffs make no sense.The whole point why they wanted a home and home series initially was to give every playoff team a home game, well Vancouver did not get one. Houston and LA as 4th and fifth place teams did not deserve a home game in the conference finals.The only thing I'm sorry about is the final will be played in a warm weather site. I wish it was in chicago or dc on 12/1 with a snowstorm so that Garber could freeze his ass off for scheduling these playoffs so they run so late.If you don't want the higher seed having to travel to the lower seed then back home again end these damn home and home series play one game winner take all and give real home field and meaning to the regular season.

18. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we can get back to that, if we all want. But there really isn't much of a debate at this point. scheduling MLS Cup on Thanksgiving weekend borders on the stupid for a variety of reasons.

As much as "soccer only" fans think it would be a great idea, the vast majority of MLS fans are also fans of not just MLS but of the other sports we have grown up with or adopted over our lives. Some college rivalry games have been moved to this weekend, but for even more, they've been played on this weekend for decades. Like it or not, OU/OSU (formerly OU/Nebraska) is going to be a much bigger draw for me with Chicago not in MLS Cup. It wouldn't even be a thought. It would get DVR'd, tops.

"Soccer Only" Soccerfans are one of the reasons it's taken forever for soccer to get acceptance in the US, because they spend the majority of their time being snobs and butthurt that soccer isn't on 24/7.

sitruc, Jasonma, (TxT) and 1 other person repped this.
  19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cafeful Fanaddict. You sound like you're proposing something like the NFL does, you know, the most popular professional league in the United States and wealthiest in the World.

The WORLD HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

20. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. +1.

21. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That doesn't change the fact that the OP is a tool.

22. DanGlingballs

DanGlingballs Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh oh, there you go patting yourself on the back again. Where would we all be without the anonymity of the Internet. And by "we all" I mean you, Poindexter.

And your argument that suddenly on Thanksgiving weekend everybody will stop watching MLS because of college football is just dumb, son. Most people I know who have an interest in MLS but put CFB first completely stop watching once NCAA football starts in September.

23. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm only anonymous because you're new around here. But I did stop using my real name a few years ago because butthurt gutless punks like you like to show up in real life to pick fights that you're not prepared to lose.

That's not the argument that I made. But please, feel free to set up a strawman and burn it down. It's the only way you can win an argument. Did you go to the Mitt Romney School of Internet Debate?

Given the ratings of NCAA Football and the raw attendance numbers, your anecdotal evidence is shall we say, an outlier.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be news to me, along with a number of my friends...

(I mean, if we're using anecdotes as evidence)

sitruc repped this.
  25. Hachiko

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, just be happy you contributed something meaningful to this thread for once.